G.D.R civilopedia

Sorry but it's like a previous poster mentioned something about sending a rocket into orbit and exploding cargo of rocks,ball bearing and sand and other junk and poof..there go trillions of investments of satelites,spaces stations, missile platforms, no more Star wars for anyone (unless they build it on the moon). :)

They would probably only build something like that if they had missile defence, though, because once you knew where the weapon is it's indeed doomed if it has no defences. I don't think carrying crap up and making a big explosion to rain death from above on satellites is going to work very well. You'd have to get lucky to hit any, even if you have a lot of crap, because they're so small and very far away from each other. I don't think it's very realistic but it's a lot more realistic (but less cool) than a giant humanoid robot

Every great creation begins from a small seed. Compare yesterday's automobile. to today's. ;)

Bad creations begin from bad ideas, and fail. No yesterday, no today, and no future.

I would bet all my money that the people who dislike the unit, on average...

- Would score better on an IQ test
- Play on higher difficulty levels
- Have played Civ for a longer time
- Have more knowledge about physics, mathematics etc.
- Have more knowledge about history

If you look at it the other way, it would surprise me a lot if there's any Deity players, who have played Civ since 1991, with a Master of Science, who actually believe this unit is a step in the right direction.

You are incorrect. People who dislike the GDR are, on average, less intelligent and less intellectually secure than people who like the GDR.

Please send me all your money.
:)

You are incorrect. People who dislike the GDR are, on average, less intelligent and less intellectually secure than people who like the GDR.

I don't want to say something bold, but I think people focused on gameplay (who welcome GDR as part of game mechanic) play at much higher difficulties than roleplayers (who complain about GDR not being realistic).

Surely there are exceptions.

They would probably only build something like that if they had missile defence, though, because once you knew where the weapon is it's indeed doomed if it has no defences. I don't think carrying crap up and making a big explosion to rain death from above on satellites is going to work very well. You'd have to get lucky to hit any, even if you have a lot of crap, because they're so small and very far away from each other. I don't think it's very realistic but it's a lot more realistic (but less cool) than a giant humanoid robot

Do you have any idea about how much junk is currently orbiting earth?
Yeah here you go spanky...read that and get edumacated.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_junk.html

Now imagine if you multiply all that junk by 1000 x!

Ain't no way any satelite is going to stay up there for long. No more 5000 channels of rubbish on television either!

Check out Master of Space by Nature of Things. There's probably a YouTube clip here or there. Also Google "Counterspace Operations". Weaponizing space is more of a natural progression of military might.

As for Giant Disaster Robot, by itself it isn't cool, and I grew up with Robotech. If they included other "future" units like Clone Infantry, Death Squad Robots, Orbital Insertion, AA Laser cannon fortress, Predator Drone Wings, etc.... Yes, in that context, it would fit. Otherwise I think it's just too gimmicky. Whatever the case, I'm sure someone will mod it out.

If you look at it the other way, it would surprise me a lot if there's any Deity players, who have played Civ since 1991, with a Master of Science, who actually believe this unit is a step in the right direction.

I think the only thing you can prove is that the people who dislike the unit, on average...

- Are much more likely to have hemorrhoids
- Have much larger and more painful hemorrhoids

Oh you're full of it. Your utter arrogance and pomposity is ridiculous. This sort of base profiling with no evidence (Which is in no way a theory, or even a good hypothesis) is stupid and an obvious attempt at ad hominem/argument from authority.

FYI, I have a great deal of knowledge about history, military science, chemistry, physics, and strive in all games to challenge myself on the higher difficulty levels. I have no problem with the GDR because I don't care whether a *FUTURE* unit is serious. Peterwhimsey is completely right, what seems ridiculous today could be common within decades. It's a fun speculative future unit. Get the proverbial stick out of your rear end.

The best part about the GDR is the silly reactions some people have to it being in the game.

It costs a ton to build, uses a less common resource, and in the most recent demo from firaxis the guy says he's made one maybe once and cheated one into the game once. They're not necessarily going to be that common and I doubt the AI makes them very often.

Ie, the sky is not falling.

Lighten up, Francis. (name that movie)

As I've stated before, I don't find the GDR any more ridiculous than having nukes in the game. Nukes exist but have only ever been used twice under extreme circumstances and as such have about as much business being in the game as a mech unit. Some civ players wanna have nukes and use them like some casual weapon when they're anything but.

It costs a ton to build, uses a less common resource, and in the most recent demo from firaxis the guy says he's made one maybe once and cheated one into the game once. They're not necessarily going to be that common and I doubt the AI makes them very often.

It also requires Fusion, which is one of the very last techs in the game. Even if you're space-racing, you won't build it, since Particle Physics and Nanotechnology let you build ship parts. If you're warmongering, why haven't you won yet?

I have changed my mind. The GDR is in fact the weapon of the future. Based on this and this, I've concluded that, much like the current War on Terror, future combat will be more about mass media make-believe and the public buying into hyperreal wars than about actual physical conflict. In this context, Giant Death Robots parading on a screen are definetly the most effective weapon, precisely because of their mind numbing coolness. Civilization V isn't dumbed down at all!

I have changed my mind. The GDR is in fact the weapon of the future. Based on this and this, I've concluded that, much like the current War on Terror, future combat will be more about mass media make-believe and the public buying into hyperreal wars than about actual physical conflict. In this context, Giant Death Robots parading on a screen are definetly the most effective weapon, precisely because of their mind numbing coolness. Civilization V isn't dumbed down at all!

This strategy has existed for a long time...how do you think Nazi Germany started off their conquest of europe campaign? From Nero burning Rome to the WTC, it's really about using the naive, gullible and simple minded. When the masses change their thought patterns from "Oh my, that's horrible!" to "I wonder if the information I'm being told is true and if not, how is the lie designed to make me react?" such strategies become less and less effective. Wasn't it Hitler that wrote ' The great masses are more prone to fall for great lies than little ones.'?

consider this...

Do you believe Pearl Harbor really happened?
How about the Apollo 11 moon landing, did that happen on the moon? Or some movie studio.
How much of history have you been taught is a complete fabrication, and how much of it is true?

There are secret societies living amongst us, they prey on naive,self-centered, greedy and hasty. And they have an agenda of global proportions.

The first casualty of war is truth.

Conspiracy theories aside I'm sure I've read that a lot of the value of elephants on the battlefield was not their effectiveness but because (a) they scared the crap out of the enemy, and (b) partially a consequence of (a) they were great for morale of the soldiers fighting alongside them.

Just imagine marching into a battle with a couple of scary looking 20 ft tall mechs at the front, even if they just had the same guns. (And if the enemy troops were all intellectuals and weren't scared, I think we've agreed they would be incapacitated by laughter - it would work either way :goodjob:

Top Bottom