Help with jungle start

Raestloz

Chieftain
Rome, Continents, Huge, 6 civs, 15 CS, Quick pace (this is MP and my buddy hosted)

I got a jungle start, so much jungle that I need 1 turn to move in every direction. My capital had access to 4 hills but my second City wasn't so lucky, only 1 hill.

It's turn 80s now and I'm struggling to stay in 3rd place, I haven't got any wonders (although to be fair I didn't expect to get one). I took Sacred Path and I now have 14 culture per turn. My primary opponents are Arabia (wonder whored) and Korea (secured GL and currently snowballing), I haven't founded religion yet, Arabia took Tithe and Pagoda.

I only have access to 2 unique luxuries, and I haven't met anyone yet, not even a CS. This means barb camps everywhere and since they don't have anyone else to attack, they concentrate on me.

At this point I've finished Tradition and opened Liberty to get a free worker because I had to produce military units and the tile improvement bonus could help to get improvements up before they get interrupted by barbs.

Now, what can I do in this situation? I'm way behind in just about every category. What victory condition can I realistically try to get?

When I have a heavy jungle start, I plan to get a huge amount of early workers and rip almost all of it out. Definitely if there is a river it gets a farm, if its a hill its a mine. Last time I had something like 9 workers for 4 cities when I was stuck in a situation you described. I think I stole from 2 AIs for 2 each, 3 from one CS, and 1 I got from barbs. Built the ninth. This may have been overkill, but I'd sacrifice gpt to make the land usable any day. Once most of the jungle was gone I'd either disband a few of them or use them to pull some shenanigans if I'm going to war.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize you said it is MP. This won't be too relevant then, but I'd still do my best to remove a lot of that jungle. You still need growth and production somehow.

I think you're screwed with your slow start. Your most likely VC seems to be DomV, but your opening isn't good for it. Best way to deal with Korea is to conquer it otherwise you'll lose to SV. Arabia is also dangerous if he's going with the camel archer route, but you'll have to decide who to attack first.
You can't work jungles early unless they're bananas btw. Otherwise they only give 2 food and you wont grow. For that reason I don't like Sacred Path pantheon since it's so weak early on when you need it the most. So you'll have to chop them down to grow your cities. Start with river tiles and hills.

When I have a heavy jungle start, I plan to get a huge amount of early workers and rip almost all of it out. Definitely if there is a river it gets a farm, if its a hill its a mine. Last time I had something like 9 workers for 4 cities when I was stuck in a situation you described. I think I stole from 2 AIs for 2 each, 3 from one CS, and 1 I got from barbs. Built the ninth. This may have been overkill, but I'd sacrifice gpt to make the land usable any day. Once most of the jungle was gone I'd either disband a few of them or use them to pull some shenanigans if I'm going to war.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize you said it is MP. This won't be too relevant then, but I'd still do my best to remove a lot of that jungle. You still need growth and production somehow.

I plan on removing all that jungle. My question is, do Citizenship's bonus apply to chopping down jungles?

Once I've removed all that jungles I'll have a pretty nice area (well, I'll remove 2 inner rings), but until then I'd be stuck with extra unnecessary turns to chop them down

The killer is there's nobody for me to steal

I think you're screwed with your slow start. Your most likely VC seems to be DomV, but your opening isn't good for it. Best way to deal with Korea is to conquer it otherwise you'll lose to SV. Arabia is also dangerous if he's going with the camel archer route, but you'll have to decide who to attack first.
You can't work jungles early unless they're bananas btw. Otherwise they only give 2 food and you wont grow. For that reason I don't like Sacred Path pantheon since it's so weak early on when you need it the most. So you'll have to chop them down to grow your cities. Start with river tiles and hills.

Yeah I'm screwed on a slow start, I won't be able to get Science victory nor domination, I'm far too backwards scientifically to wage war. I'm thinking culture but it requires me getting a lot of wonders which is cockblocked by Arabia

My only shot I think is Diplo, but the issue is I haven't met anyone yet =/

Top Bottom