Quick Questions and Answers

I'll be honest, I thought that you needed to meet everybody AND have researched printing press but the only way to explain what happened was you researching printing press triggered the 'race' for every other civ to meet everyone and Greece won that.

you have to be both the first to printing press and to meet every other civ so i think greece did that in the same turn he met you

"My kingdom for a horse!!"

The thing is, researching Printing Press is one of the techs that moves a civ into the Renaissance era, but Greece entered the Renaissance era quite a while after I finished the research. They couldn't have got Printing Press before or at the same time as me. Also, Greece was made host on the same turn that I completed the research, when I got the introduction to the World Congress.

I'll be honest, I thought that you needed to meet everybody AND have researched printing press but the only way to explain what happened was you researching printing press triggered the 'race' for every other civ to meet everyone and Greece won that.

I'm wondering the same. It could be a similar situation to the Manhattan Project in Civ 4, where everyone got access to ICBMs after someone had completed the project. Maybe my researching Printing Press opened up the option for everyone else, despite me being the only one in that era. If this is the case, is there any way to tell which civs have met all others, and which was the first to do so?

What I've read online suggests that the first civ to both research Printing Press and meet everyone is host. But in my game, Greece definitely reached the Renaissance era after me. I was first to every era except Classical in that game.

I have actually experienced this, and it was also Greece who was the host of the World Council even though I was first to Printing Press and I have previously met everyone. I did not pay attention to see who was the first to meet every civ on the map, it was a Pangaea map. Is this another hidden UA for Greece?

You must be missing something. I went to check the code and I cannot see a way around it. The function FoundLeague which creates the WC is called only there.
Spoiler :

Code:
	if (GetNumActiveLeagues() == 0)
		{
			// Has any living major civ met every other living major civ?
			for (int iCiv = 0; iCiv < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iCiv++)
			{
				PlayerTypes eCiv = (PlayerTypes) iCiv;
				if (GET_PLAYER(eCiv).isAlive())
				{
					// Has the unlock from tech?
					if (GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eCiv).getTeam()).HasTechForWorldCongress())
					{
						// Met every other civ?
						bool bMetEveryone = true;
						for (int iOtherCiv = 0; iOtherCiv < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iOtherCiv++)
						{
							PlayerTypes eOtherCiv = (PlayerTypes) iOtherCiv;
							if (eCiv != eOtherCiv && GET_PLAYER(eOtherCiv).isAlive())
							{
								if (!GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eCiv).getTeam()).isHasMet(GET_PLAYER(eOtherCiv).getTeam()))
								{
									bMetEveryone = false;
									break;
								}
							}
						}

if (bMetEveryone && GC.getGame().countMajorCivsAlive() > 1)
						{
							FoundLeague(eCiv);
							break;
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

It clearly just loop through all civs and for each check if it has the tech and if it has met everyone.

I've been trying to calculate income from city connections, using this, but my results are always much lower than what I get in game. It says it's for the vanilla game, so maybe something changed later on.

This is my situation;

Spoiler Economy Screen :

Spoiler City Connections :

This is the formula I've used, though I don't know how to take the extra 25% from Machu Picchu into account;

Spoiler :
Code:
Yield = (0.15*Capital Pop.) + (1.1*City Pop.) - 1 - (# of Roads)

These are what I calculate without the Machu Picchu bonus;

Spoiler :
Code:
Sparta = (0.15*9) + (1.1*7) - 1 - 6 =  2.05 (20.38% of actual)

Corinth = (0.15*9) + (1.1*6) - 1 - 5 =  1.95 (22.47% of actual)

Knossos = (0.15*9) + (1.1*4) - 1 - 5 =  -0.25

Athens has Machu Picchu (+25% City Connection yield) and a Market (+25% Gold).

Sparta and Corinth both have a Market.

I'm obviously missing something basic. I was hoping someone could help me understand what that is.

You must be missing something. I went to check the code and I cannot see a way around it. The function FoundLeague which creates the WC is called only there.
Spoiler :

Code:
	if (GetNumActiveLeagues() == 0)
		{
			// Has any living major civ met every other living major civ?
			for (int iCiv = 0; iCiv < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iCiv++)
			{
				PlayerTypes eCiv = (PlayerTypes) iCiv;
				if (GET_PLAYER(eCiv).isAlive())
				{
					// Has the unlock from tech?
					if (GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eCiv).getTeam()).HasTechForWorldCongress())
					{
						// Met every other civ?
						bool bMetEveryone = true;
						for (int iOtherCiv = 0; iOtherCiv < MAX_MAJOR_CIVS; iOtherCiv++)
						{
							PlayerTypes eOtherCiv = (PlayerTypes) iOtherCiv;
							if (eCiv != eOtherCiv && GET_PLAYER(eOtherCiv).isAlive())
							{
								if (!GET_TEAM(GET_PLAYER(eCiv).getTeam()).isHasMet(GET_PLAYER(eOtherCiv).getTeam()))
								{
									bMetEveryone = false;
									break;
								}
							}
						}

if (bMetEveryone && GC.getGame().countMajorCivsAlive() > 1)
						{
							FoundLeague(eCiv);
							break;
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

It clearly just loop through all civs and for each check if it has the tech and if it has met everyone.

It turns out I was using an older version of the game (v1.0.3.144), so maybe something changed in the later patches.

Keep in mind that the formula for "gross income" from city connections does not subtract the costs of road and railroad segments or harbors (however the city connection is formed). In practice, as the War Academy article states, you do need to subtract those costs to confirm that the city connection is profitable (i.e., generates positive "net income"), but those costs are not formally included in the in-game formula. This is important, because the Macchu Picchu bonus applies to gross income from the city connection, not net income.

So, on the screen, Sparta shows as having city connection income of 10.08, which does not reflect the cost of 6 road segments, which appears "below the line" in the cost of roads and railroads (a total of 16 in the screenshot). So the baseline "gross income" yield from the Sparta city connection is 8.05 -- that, plus 25% for Macchu Picchu, gets you to (more or less) 10.08. I haven't double checked the computation for the other two cities, but this looks fine to me.

Keep in mind that the formula for "gross income" from city connections does not subtract the costs of road and railroad segments or harbors (however the city connection is formed). In practice, as the War Academy article states, you do need to subtract those costs to confirm that the city connection is profitable (i.e., generates positive "net income"), but those costs are not formally included in the in-game formula. This is important, because the Macchu Picchu bonus applies to gross income from the city connection, not net income.

So, on the screen, Sparta shows as having city connection income of 10.08, which does not reflect the cost of 6 road segments, which appears "below the line" in the cost of roads and railroads (a total of 16 in the screenshot). So the baseline "gross income" yield from the Sparta city connection is 8.05 -- that, plus 25% for Macchu Picchu, gets you to (more or less) 10.08. I haven't double checked the computation for the other two cities, but this looks fine to me.

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't considered the calculation in that manner. It makes perfect sense now. Thanks also for how the Machu Picchu bonus applies.

How you guys manage your Gold early in the game? I try to expand quickly, and even if my plans succeed and I get to my third city at T55 and get my NC between T90-100 even with my happiness and maybe religion intact, I had to force my third city to Stay at Pop2 just to work that Gold Mine so I just Stay with -4 and my army not disbanding..

How you guys manage your Gold early in the game? I try to expand quickly, and even if my plans succeed and I get to my third city at T55 and get my NC between T90-100 even with my happiness and maybe religion intact, I had to force my third city to Stay at Pop2 just to work that Gold Mine so I just Stay with -4 and my army not disbanding..

First you'll just have to recognize tradition makes a lot more gold than playing wide with the other trees.
Second most people make the bulk of their gold by selling their strategic ressources and luxuries. Luxs are sold 7gpt and strategic 2gpt a piece.
Third getting a religion with gold founder belief helps with gold.

Don't make your roads too fast too and finally don't make too many units. Note that road connection gold is a function of pop size.

Sometimes you have to make units to protect yourself in case you get attacked particularly if you're tradition. Units are necessary sometimes.

Is there a quick way to find Archaeological Dig sites on the map (apart from the notification for those in your territory when you research Archaeology, of course)? Or do you have to search for them tile by tile?

In GnK there was a way of bribing a warmonger a certain sum (5gpt I think) and they would almost always leave you alone. Is that still the case in the up-to-date BNW? I've tried it on deity and they still attacked me :(

Is there a quick way to find Archaeological Dig sites on the map (apart from the notification for those in your territory when you research Archaeology, of course)? Or do you have to search for them tile by tile?

They count as resource, so if you have resource bubbles activated you can find them more easily.

Something that actually should go in the modding forum, but imo isn't worth its own thread and I shockingly couldn't find a Quick Modding Questions thread like in the Civ4 forum:

What file determines which buildings are required in every city for a given National Wonder to be built?

Where is the tech cost increase per city set?

Per city tech cost modifier is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5Worlds.xml (the variable is "NumCitiesTechCostMod").

For the National Wonder prerequisites, see C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Buildings\CIV5Buildings.xml and other files in that folder, but those just specify what the prerequisite buildings are.

If I employ the stealing a worker from a city state strategy, what are the best methods to recover that lost influence with them? Aside from the Patronage civic.

Your second DOW against a CS means that your resting state for all CS is now -20 and your influence degrades twice as fast as normal. You can still get friendship and ally status, but it so much harder and more expensive, and wears off so very quickly. The penalty lasts all game long, and there no way really to recover that lost influence. The patronage policies would only be of a little help. About the only thing you can do is remember not to DOW a CS twice in your next game!

If you are going to steal workers, steal them from an AI or two. They forgive such transgressions very quickly -- just not on the same turn like a CS will.

If you are going to steal workers from a CS, stay at war with them until you have at least two workers. Maybe a 3rd promotion for some of your units too!

does a resource tile satisfy for requirements to build a special building for any number of nearby (3 hex) cities?
e.g. one horses tile between two cities to build circuses in both of them?
or does it count only for the city which has got it in its culture area?

Top Bottom