[SOLVED] Why can't i turn leader quality above 'low'?

kamex

Emperor
I had to reinstall the game and this rest all my preferences.

I have changed all the other graphic settings to medium up or high as normal, but for some reason the game will only let me choose low or minimum leader scenes!? :S

Why is this? I used to have them on medium, now that option is grayed out! :confused:

I've not changed any hardware etc. since re installation

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

Probably just borked again.
What are your system specs and did you try to validate the game files and to update your graphic card drivers?

Intel Quad Core, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, Vista SP1

The funny thing is, It worked before the reinstallation! Really weird! :S

I just updated to SP2 and I'm now installing updated graphic card drivers to see if it makes a difference. I can only run the game in Dx9, dx11 is greyed out, saying I need SP2, hence the reason for installing it.

So should be able to run dx11 now, but not tested yet... Of course, orginally i had high leader graphics in dx9 anyway... :S

Still can't play 10 or 11. Now greyed out with message 'requires update'. Anybody know how to install this update?

You probably shouldn't play with 10, because it will be damn slow.
For the issue, take a look if maybe the Steam.exe has been set to a compatibility mod (that's a bug in Win7 somehow, which shouldn't happen on Vista, but you never know).

Can you now in DX9 set the leader quality higher?

You probably shouldn't play with 10, because it will be damn slow.
For the issue, take a look if maybe the Steam.exe has been set to a compatibility mod (that's a bug in Win7 somehow, which shouldn't happen on Vista, but you never know).

Can you now in DX9 set the leader quality higher?

No. Its still the same! :(

And i have a worse problem. Installing SP2 has ****ed my sound driver. Now my PC has no sound at all! :mad:

I'm looking at the graphics config xml, I think I could change leader quality there by changing the digit. Assuming 0 = minimum, 1 = low etc.

I'm pleased to say I've solved this problem.

Open My Documents / My Games / Civilization V. In the file 'GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini' there is a configuration:

; Set to 1 to allow the 'medium' and 'high' leader settings on low-end machines. (DANGER: 256M is probably not enough! Use at your own risk!)
AllowMediumLeadersOnLowEnd = 0

Change this value to 1, and the medium and high leader settings are no longer grayed out!

Moderators may wish to file this post to help other users experiencing this problem.

PS. Thanks to The_J for your contributions. :)

Thanks for posting the solution :).
I've changed the thread title and will keep an eye on the forum. If that happens more often, then i'll add it to the FAQ (but i haven't seen anything like that yet, so we'll have to see how the whole technical situation goes further on).

Top Bottom