Mod Idea: Post Nuclear Civilization and real destruction

Captain_Joe

Chieftain
Once upon a time there was a majestic city of 40 civilian units that stretched over several tiles as it's outskirts overflowed. Then the wars began and the city was fought over, exchanging hands and being nuked in the process again and again. Until all that was left was a little burnt down shack in the corner of the tile.

What kind of horse manure is this?
How in the world does a city go from a mega metropolis to a burnt down shack in the corner? This makes no freaking sense. There should literally be tons of debris and rubble left. I propose a Mod that would keep a city looking the way it does at it's height, with the only exception is that the city goes dark once it's dead.

Follow along now, this will all play a part in an overall vision.

A dead city (ruins) should essentially look like it's former self, but only with it's colors gone and replaced with dark gray and blackened by fire. These dead cities (ruins) should also spawn era-relevant barbarians in and around it. However, unlike barbarian camps, these cannot simply be destroyed by placing a military unit over it. These would have to be removed by workers similarly to how forest are chopped down; at a rate of one turn per every 5 populace the city once had.

Next, fires and smoke... One thing that always irked me was not being able to see the great fields of fire when I didn't have a unit in the area to view it. What I simply request is that I can see the smoke clouds even through fog of war.

New terrain. Destroyed forest/jungle. If you've ever nuked an area enough, you'll see that the terrain changes because of it. Forest for example turns into grassland. While the forest being gone makes sense, the land becoming grassland does not. Forest tiles should become a pot-marked forest blackened by smoke and have no green on the trees/jungle. Maybe some knocked over trees lying about everywhere?

Craters and tile bombardment.. ever played Civilization III? Well, in Civ3, you could order bombers and artillery to bombard a tile and destroy the improvements on that tile. Once the improvements were no more, further bombardment would create cratered land.

So far, what I've described is what I call the "Real Destruction" aspects of my Mod request. Now onto the fun stuff.. Nuclear war.

I believe fallout should do far worst than just pollute your land and make it unworkable. I believe any units ending their turn on irradiated tiles should take damage (similar to the damage sustained when finishing a turn next to an enemy citadel). Although, some units should be immune to this.

Radiation immunity should be a trait of modern armor and Giant death Robots (because they gain no terrain defensive bonus', then they should get a bonus for fighting in fallout that other units won't get). But, I also would love to see a new late game unit brought into the game.

Power Armored Troops. An infantry unit encased in a powered, armored exo-suit wielding miniguns, that would require no resources. However like older infantry units, they'll only move 2 tiles per turn. This will make them slower and less maneuverable than mechanized infantry. but stronger than modern armor and even xcom.

Obviously they'll lack the long range insertion ability of xcom, but they'll be able to hold their own against even giant death robots thanks to benefiting from defensive terrain. They'll lack speed and thus be unable to move after attacking, but as stated before, they'll be immune to radioactive fallout; making them the preferred defensive unit in a nuclear war.

Now, remember how I mentioned dark, dead cities earlier? Now here's where this really comes into play and everything comes together.

Civilization death.
The death of an entire civilization shouldn't require a military force to have to fight for every single city along the way. It could be as simple as killing it's leadership.. once the government collapses, the nation goes into anarchy, and civilization death ensues.

It just never made sense to me how a capital could get nuked time again and again and the leader would never die while 99% of the rest of the population died. However, surround the city and send some troops in and now all of sudden, their leader fled to another city where he continues to rule over his nation. So.. this is where civilization death comes in.

Civilization death happens one way.. and only one way.. nuclear strikes on the another nation's capital. However, there is never a guarantee that any nuclear strike will kill the enemy leader; as the chance of a nation's leader dying from a nuclear strike would only be about 3~5%. Meaning that if you nuke another nation's capital in the hope to kill their leader, you'll be taking the risk of failing and them responding with a similar attempt, possibly leading to your death instead.

So, now that we've got all those pesky nations out of the way.. What happens to their cities? To their lands? To their people? Well.. as I described earlier.. all their cities go dark.. the whole civilization just dies. Once mega metropolis' now lay in darkness spawning barbarians.. the survivors of those nations who've reverted back to the law of the jungle.. survival of the fittest. Kill or be killed.

Now we've set the stage for entirely different gaming experience.. the reconquest and resettlement of a dark, destroyed world overflowing with barbarians. Now you'll have to send workers to remove rubble and debris from these dead cities to stop the barbarians from spawning, but you'll also have to send military security forces to hold of the hordes of barbarians as your worker works frantically to clear up the land.

All of this could also be used to explain why future tech doesn't add any new technology.. because technological development is at a stand still in such a post nuclear world.

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

Your proposing a Civ6 mod before we've even seen the mod tools. before the game is released. before we've even seen what cities look like after nuked.

They could like rubble after a nuke for all we know!
This is better off being asked for in Civ5's C&C.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393

Your proposing a Civ6 mod before we've even seen the mod tools. before the game is released. before we've even seen what cities look like after nuked.
They could like rubble after a nuke for all we know!

This is a Civ5 Mod idea.. It just got moved to this section for the wrong reason..
However if anyone could possibly do something like this, I won't mind waiting until Civ6 for them to work on this mod idea. But I did write all this with Civ5 in mind though.

It's been a month and not a single critique or feedback.

I thought this would be a place I could post ideas for mods for civilization.. Guess I was wrong.. Or maybe my ideas are so stupid they're not worth even responding to. Very well.

Moderators, could you please delete this thread? Thank you.

On the contrary those ideas are excellent. Granted, they could use work and balancing between eye candy and fps (I'm sure that'll be an issue someway), but otherwise it sounds cool to me. However, either way, I don't think this community has a lot of "major league" modders, ie. ones who can do really, really big projects. Those that do that are busy as it is anyway with their own creations.

Top Bottom