Civ 3 and Windows 10

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
Since several days I have the upgrade icon for a gratis change to windows 10. As I have several Civ 3 modding projects mostly in an advanced state, I wonder if such a change from my current Windows 7 to Windows 10 would be a good thing to do.

Are there any experiences with running Civ 3 and especially C3C under Win 10 yet?

Other than the beta versions, Windows 10 won't be available until later this month. The reserve upgrade icon only allows Microsoft to d/l bits and pieces of the OS up until the official launch date. That way there won't be a sudden rush on their servers on the actual date.

Since you'll have a year from the release date to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I'm of the mind to wait a few months to make sure several of the kinks are worked out before I upgrade from 8.1. I've heard great things about 10, but there are always problems upgrading an OS. Thankfully, after you upgrade you'll be able to do a clean install later.

Personally, I'd stick with 7 until you have your projects done.

Laurana Kanan, thank you very much for the answer. :)

So we have to wait some weeks until we (hopefully) can receive the first reports to the question about Windows 10 and C3C.

Since several days I have the upgrade icon for a gratis change to windows 10. As I have several Civ 3 modding projects mostly in an advanced state, I wonder if such a change from my current Windows 7 to Windows 10 would be a good thing to do.

Are there any experiences with running Civ 3 and especially C3C under Win 10 yet?

I remember doing a dual boot with Windows 10 technical preview a few months back (removed the partition due to space constrains) and as far as I remember, C3C didn't give me trouble. I don't know of they've changed much in the more recent builds but I don't think they have so C3C should work all right. Also you could try it out yourself by using a virtual machine or maybe installing Windows 10 in dual boot configuration as well.

Well Civinator, win 8.1 broke CAII due to .net 1.1 not being able to be installed. It actually removed it from mine. So I would expect Win 10 will be more of the same. I doubt it will be an issue for c3c as direct x should be forward compat.

I am now stuck using Mapstat. It is a great tool but is missing some of the useful stuff in caII.

Well Civinator, win 8.1 broke CAII due to .net 1.1 not being able to be installed. It actually removed it from mine. So I would expect Win 10 will be more of the same. I doubt it will be an issue for c3c as direct x should be forward compat.

I am now stuck using Mapstat. It is a great tool but is missing some of the useful stuff in caII.
You might want to check the CAII thread again, because AinWood updated it (again) to run in Win(7+)8.

I installed (what appears to be) the newest version of CAII on my new Win8.1 box earlier this year, didn't mess about with Admin privileges or anything similar and it worked when I test-ran it.
Spoiler :
FTR, I am no kind of tech-genius, and my box had the German version of Win8.1 pre-installed, so I don't want to risk changing default settings without being sure what I'm changing, and messing something up... Case in point: even though I already entered all the necessary passwords etc. for internet connection into the new box, and it worked for awhile, last week it refused to connect with our ISP, or even to locate our home network, and I don't know why... -- and yes, the LAN cable is still plugged in... ;)
I did however install C3C to a custom location (following Puppeteer's YouTube'd advice), D:\Games\... rather than C:\ProgramFiles(x86), and put CAII in the same root.

Check out Puppeteer's sig -- that's where I found the link to the link to the new version.

Well I do not see any new versions or updates on the first page. I looked back to 2013 and from then forward, no new post either.

I install in a non program file locations. In any even, win 8.1 will not allow .net 1.1 to run or be installed. That means the last version I know of for caII will not run. It checks for version 1.

A few years back, he said he was working on an enhancement. I begged him to just make it compat with the current .net and do any enhancement after that. We got neither. I would be happy to kick in some money as I suspect others would for an updated version. Especially with win10 coming.

Well even though it would seem the one I have is newer, it is much smaller than the one you linked. So thank you so much for the effort, as that one does indeed work so far.

Now I can take on some of my massive games, that I would not try without 2 features not in CRP.

1) inform you of and locate enemies in your land
2) zoom (more or less) to a town from CAII that is needing adjustments

In a massive game you just cannot spend that much effort to search for those towns and to triple scan for invaders every turn. Sometimes a turn last and hour and I may need to step away and come back. Then I forget where or even if, there was that lone invader.

Follow-up: I've had a chance to play around with Windows 10 on my Nephew's computer for a few days since I didn't want to install it yet on mine. I'd still recommend waiting a few months to upgrade if you're just an average user. For the most part 10 was superior to 8.1, but there are a few issues that bug me - especially the forced auto updates, which played havoc with some of his drivers. Also, from what I understand there is a planned major update coming in October (10.1?), which should have most of the major bugs worked out.

Follow-up: I've had a chance to play around with Windows 10 on my Nephew's computer for a few days since I didn't want to install it yet on mine. I'd still recommend waiting a few months to upgrade if you're just an average user. For the most part 10 was superior to 8.1, but there are a few issues that bug me - especially the forced auto updates, which played havoc with some of his drivers. Also, from what I understand there is a planned major update coming in October (10.1?), which should have most of the major bugs worked out.

Thank you very much for that information! :)

I have, this afternoon, downloaded and installed Win 10 and it will not play Civ III.

The "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your computer" window opens, I click "yes" and we go back to the new (awful) Win 10 desktop.

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and the game plays okay (installed on D drive). When I win though it locks up after showing your ranking. Not a huge deal but now you cant see your high scores and it doesn't seem to post to the high scores either since it locks up before that.

Probably does not have auth to write the HighScores.cv3. I do not install into program files to avoid auth to write to a windows files. The joys of a new os, almost as much fun as a new provider.

Mine fails to launch in both Win 8.1 andWin 10. There's supposed to be some 'make old software work' feature but I've yet to find it.

Maybe we need a cloud version of C3C, independent of OS ....

Also, been running C3C on an old Vista Tosh Sat forever, still worked fine, though slow with really huge maps and massive games. Last Vista update screwed the pooch, on launch attempt get a msg to run as administrator, but don't have a way to do that. Need help - having C3C withdrawl pains.

OK, system is Toshiba Satellite S55-A 64bit no touch Win 8.1. Installed C:\...\Atari\CivIIIComplete\ No Gamespy received a 1628: window after install. Launch fails on Choose Your World click OK.

Intalled on this machine - my previous Tosh Sat ran Vista, the game worked like a trooper for years, but with the most recent Vista update it doesn't launch either. Micro$oft tech help said essentially its my fault for using 3rd party software. Funny, ain't it?

markdata - You skipped over where on your C: drive C3C is installed. If it's under "Program Files (x86)" it can cause you some problems. Try installing under a separate folder you create such as C:\Games\.

The issue with the security update on your Vista system should be alleviated by using the "Civ3Conquests" No CD patch that can be found here in the Patch Package Download and then follow the instructions here.

OK, removed from x86, had to manually uninstall. Reinstalled in GAMES. Same 1628 window. On launch gives the old code 28 font error and exits.

Now to try the Vista fix. OK launch fails - gives same code 28 font error and exits. Made the font fix and it works, but doesn't have the previous appearance. Is this a true C3C? Thanks for the help.

OK, it looks different, but works. Silly question - where are the files??? The save files don't show up in WE and looks like the biq in the install is not the one used in the game - where is it?

Top Bottom