Scientific Leader

Hey everyone,

I know that you can't get a new Military Leader if you haven't used your first one yet, and I can confirm that it's possible to get multiple Scientific Leaders without using them, but does anyone know whether having a Scientific Leader will block the possibility of getting a Military Leader??

(Deepest apologies for the extreme necro—but I figured if anyone's still lurking around the C3 forum they wouldn't mind.)

but does anyone know whether having a Scientific Leader will block the possibility of getting a Military Leader??

It does. One can only get a Great Military Leader while not having a leader. What kind of leader it is does not make a difference, in fact the difference between leaders may only exist in the interface for the human player, for AI there is no difference at all. AI can rush Great Wonders with MGL, the human player cannot.

Once i had the "precarious" situation of having an unused SGL but no buildable great wonder left. When getting the SGL i had already stockpiled eliteunits so i could get some MGL soon after starting a war, but starting this war had to be delayed till the SGL would have been used. :crazyeye:

Well, if you already had the Military Academy at that point, you could use your SGL to rush an Army... :crazyeye:

I'm pretty sure you can't use an SGL for an army.

Well, the idea was to rush the unit in the city with the MA. But rushing units with leaders, does hat even work?

Given that i delayed the first war till enough Eliteunits were available that did not make a difference.

an SGL can rush anything.

an MGL can rush anything but Great Wonders.

t_x

I don't have anything to say about the topic at hand, especially since I've never actually gotten a scientific leader, but I just wanted to commend the recent author on a STRONG BUMP. A bump on a 13 year old thread is awesome, and I think very welcome in the Civ 3 forums. Generally the people who still lurk this forum are hardcore, Civ 3-for-life players.

:crazyeye::)

Is that so? 3 years ago i wrote the opposite into the german wiki. SGL cannot rush units.

http://wiki.civforum.de/wiki/Anführer_(Civ3)

For the purpose of rushing that also includes the Palace. It cannot be rushed by MGL.

I tried to run a few tests for this and created a map in the Editor, where I start with two -- well, with what? In the Editor there is only a unit named "Leader", but it doesn't say which one of the two?!? And when I started the game, it became even more strange:
It did not show the "Scientific Golden Age" button, so I assumed they would be MGLs. But when I selected it in a town that was constructing a wonder, the "Rush Construction" button appeared?! I rushed the Pyramids that way! And once I had 4 towns, I was able to create an Army. So the unit I got seemed to be a "PtW-type MGL", even though I used the C3C Editor and also played the game in C3C?!? :confused:

But whatever it was: it was indeed not able to rush the Palace! Which is even more strange, because I'm pretty sure that in PtW I have already used an MGL for a palace jump, not by rushing the Forbidden Palace, but by building the FP manually in the first ring and then rushing the Palace in a distant second core using an MGL.

Has anybody done more detailed research on this? The Editor can obviously not be used, as it creates a different Leader unit from the two we get during the game by "normal" means.

BTW: your link is broken. The final ")" is missing.

If I get a leader- SGL - in my current game I will try to make an army. I am sure I couldn't do it the last time I tried - years ago

darski: I know very well, that one cannot use an SGL to "make" an Army. What I meant in my post #44 was to use the SGL for "rushing" an Army! That's why I also mentioned the Military Academy in my post:
Well, if you already had the Military Academy at that point, you could use your SGL to rush an Army... :crazyeye:

So what I meant: you move the SGL into the city that has the Military Academy, you switch the production of that city to "Army", and then you use the SGL to rush (=fill the shield-box of) that Army. Is it now clearer?

So while we know for sure, that SGLs can't "create" Armies, it remains to be clarified, whether SGLs can be used to "rush" an Army in the above way. justanick thinks that this is not possible either, because SGLs supposedly cannot rush units (and an Army counts as a unit). I usually play without SGLs, so I have no idea. But up to now I thought (like templar_x), that SGLs can rush "anything". :dunno:

Top Bottom