[Map Script] PerfectWorld2.py

cephalo, do I understand correctly that you do all starting position placement in your code now?

Since PW can leave pretty dramatic differences in starting positions, I thought that would be something good to expose as an option. Let the player choose whether to get the best or worst spot, and/or choose between a spot with good expansion vs a spot with a lot of bonus resources.

The starting spot drives the style of play and difficulty, so it'd help to be able to tweak those knobs in addition to overall difficulty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for making this great map script. After playing with it a while, the only thing I really didn't like was the way resources tend to cluster. Some clustering is really good. Coming across a plain with 7 wine resources, representing ALL the wine on the map, not so good. So I put in a governer:

Spoiler :
def AddBonusType(self,eBonus,plotIndexList):
gc = CyGlobalContext()
gameMap = CyMap()
featureForest = gc.getInfoTypeForString("FEATURE_FOREST")
#first get bonus/area link
for i in range(gc.getNumBonusInfos()):
if self.bonusList.eBonus == eBonus:
bonus = self.bonusList
bonusInfo = gc.getBonusInfo(eBonus)

print "AddBonusType for %(bt)s, cbc=%(cb)d dbc=%(db)d" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType(), \
"cb":bonus.currentBonusCount,"db":bonus.desiredBonusCount}

if bonus.currentBonusCount >= bonus.desiredBonusCount:
print "AddBonusType retfalse1 currentBonusCount=%(cb)d, desiredBonusCount=%(db)d" % {"cb":bonus.currentBonusCount,"db":bonus.desiredBonusCount}
return False

bonusPlaced = False
#now add bonuses
for i in range(len(plotIndexList)):
index = plotIndexList
plot = gameMap.plotByIndex(index)
x = plot.getX()
y = plot.getY()
if self.CanPlaceBonusAt(plot,eBonus,False,False):

print "AddBonusType:CanPlaceBonusAt for %(bt)s" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType()}

#temporarily remove any feature
featureEnum = plot.getFeatureType()
if featureEnum == featureForest:
featureVariety = plot.getFeatureVariety()
plot.setFeatureType(FeatureTypes.NO_FEATURE,-1)
#place bonus
plot.setBonusType(eBonus)
bonusPlaced = True
bonus.currentBonusCount += 1
#restore the feature if possible
if bonusInfo == None or bonusInfo.isFeature(featureEnum) or (bonusInfo.getTechReveal() != TechTypes.NO_TECH):
plot.setFeatureType(featureEnum,featureVariety)
groupRange = bonusInfo.getGroupRange()

#NEW CODE
#added/maxAdd: avoid grouping ALL the resources of a type together.
#it's annoying to find 6 wines together and nowhere else on the map.
added = 0
maxAdd = PRand.randint(0,2);
print "AddBonusType maxadd for %(bt)s = %(ma)d" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType(),"ma":maxAdd}

for dx in range(-groupRange,groupRange + 1):
for dy in range(-groupRange,groupRange + 1):
#NEW CODE
if(added >= maxAdd):
break
if bonus.currentBonusCount < bonus.desiredBonusCount:
loopPlot = self.plotXY(x,y,dx,dy)
if loopPlot != None:
if loopPlot.getX() == -1:
raise ValueError, "plotXY returns invalid plots plot= %(x)d, %(y)d" % {"x":x,"y":y}
if self.CanPlaceBonusAt(loopPlot,eBonus,False,False):
if PRand.randint(0,99) < bonusInfo.getGroupRand():

#NEW CODE
added += 1
featureEnum = loopPlot.getFeatureType()
featureVariety = loopPlot.getFeatureVariety()
loopPlot.setFeatureType(FeatureTypes.NO_FEATURE,-1)
#place bonus
loopPlot.setBonusType(eBonus)
if bonusInfo == None or bonusInfo.isFeature(featureEnum) or (bonusInfo.getTechReveal() != TechTypes.NO_TECH):
loopPlot.setFeatureType(featureEnum,featureVariety)
if bonusPlaced:
break
return bonusPlaced

Since the forum killed off the indentations, I recommend going to the #NEW CODE sections and just writing in the new code yourself, if you want to try this out.. Enjoy!

Actually the indentation is all there, you just need you wrap code tags around it if you want them to display on the forum.
Anyway, thx for that, the insane clustering sometimes annoyed me too sometimes.
But you are limiting placement by a random number from 0 to 2? I think 1-3 resources per cluster should be allowed, and what's the point of placing 0 resources anyway? (Or did I read something wrong there..)

Spoiler :
Code:
def AddBonusType(self,eBonus,plotIndexList):
        gc = CyGlobalContext()
        gameMap = CyMap()
        featureForest = gc.getInfoTypeForString("FEATURE_FOREST")
        #first get bonus/area link
        for i in range(gc.getNumBonusInfos()):
            if self.bonusList[i].eBonus == eBonus:
                bonus = self.bonusList[i]
        bonusInfo = gc.getBonusInfo(eBonus)

print "AddBonusType for %(bt)s, cbc=%(cb)d dbc=%(db)d" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType(), \
        "cb":bonus.currentBonusCount,"db":bonus.desiredBonusCount}        

if bonus.currentBonusCount >= bonus.desiredBonusCount:
            print "AddBonusType retfalse1 currentBonusCount=%(cb)d, desiredBonusCount=%(db)d" % {"cb":bonus.currentBonusCount,"db":bonus.desiredBonusCount}
            return False

bonusPlaced = False
        #now add bonuses
        for i in range(len(plotIndexList)):
            index = plotIndexList[i]
            plot = gameMap.plotByIndex(index)
            x = plot.getX()
            y = plot.getY()
            if self.CanPlaceBonusAt(plot,eBonus,False,False):

print "AddBonusType:CanPlaceBonusAt for %(bt)s" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType()}        

featureEnum = plot.getFeatureType()
                    featureVariety = plot.getFeatureVariety()
                    plot.setFeatureType(FeatureTypes.NO_FEATURE,-1)
                #place bonus
                plot.setBonusType(eBonus)
                bonusPlaced = True
                        plot.setFeatureType(featureEnum,featureVariety)
                groupRange = bonusInfo.getGroupRange()

#NEW CODE
                #added/maxAdd: avoid grouping ALL the resources of a type together.
                #it's annoying to find 6 wines together and nowhere else on the map.
                added = 0
                maxAdd = PRand.randint(0,2);
                print "AddBonusType maxadd for %(bt)s = %(ma)d" % {"bt":bonusInfo.getType(),"ma":maxAdd}        

for dx in range(-groupRange,groupRange + 1):
                    for dy in range(-groupRange,groupRange + 1):
                       #NEW CODE
                        if(added >= maxAdd):
                            break
                        if bonus.currentBonusCount < bonus.desiredBonusCount:
                            loopPlot = self.plotXY(x,y,dx,dy)
                            if loopPlot != None:
                                if loopPlot.getX() == -1:
                                    raise ValueError, "plotXY returns invalid plots plot= %(x)d, %(y)d" % {"x":x,"y":y}
                                if self.CanPlaceBonusAt(loopPlot,eBonus,False,False):
                                    if PRand.randint(0,99) < bonusInfo.getGroupRand():

#NEW CODE
                                        added += 1
                                        featureEnum = loopPlot.getFeatureType()
                                            featureVariety = loopPlot.getFeatureVariety()
                                            loopPlot.setFeatureType(FeatureTypes.NO_FEATURE,-1)
                                        #place bonus
                                        loopPlot.setBonusType(eBonus)
                                                loopPlot.setFeatureType(featureEnum,featureVariety)
            if bonusPlaced:
                break
        return bonusPlaced

Actually the indentation is all there, you just need you wrap code tags around it if you want them to display on the forum.
Anyway, thx for that, the insane clustering sometimes annoyed me too sometimes.
But you are limiting placement by a random number from 0 to 2? I think 1-3 resources per cluster should be allowed, and what's the point of placing 0 resources anyway? (Or did I read something wrong there..)

That's additional resources; the first is already placed. Basically I wanted no more than three together at a time. Easy enough to tweak that number if you want more. So far with that tweak I've been satisfied with every map.

Actually, clustering is supposed to happen for luxuries. I'm using the same algorithm as the default in this regard. The reason why you don't see it so much on the factory maps is that the terrain is kindof randomly splattered and not contiguous, preventing those resources from clustering like they're supposed to.

This clustering is meant to promote trade rather than self sufficiency. You may not be used to it but I find that it makes for better gameplay. If you find a 'wine country' like you mentioned someone else is like to have the same thing for dye or silk. It's all good.

Fact remains that resources simply don't cluster on stock maps the way they do on yours, all resources in a single area just doesn't happen. And we all know AIs underpreform everywhere that doesn't behave like standard, and of course human warmongers don't like it either.

But you have a point, maybe increasing maxAdd to PRand.randint(1,(maxplayers+1)/2) is better, allowing clustering but not single-clusters for all resources of one type.

Fact remains that resources simply don't cluster on stock maps the way they do on yours, all resources in a single area just doesn't happen. And we all know AIs underpreform everywhere that doesn't behave like standard, and of course human warmongers don't like it either.

But you have a point, maybe increasing maxAdd to PRand.randint(1,(maxplayers+1)/2) is better, allowing clustering but not single-clusters for all resources of one type.

I have found that the AI knows very well what to do with extra luxury resources. I kept this in since the early days of PW1, and I love it. It's not that common to find everything in one cluster, but when you do, it's lot's of fun to find a nice jackpot once in a while. I think it's perfectly valid and only adds to the fun. I see no negative consequences.

For strategic resources, players need to control their own so clustering is very bad. For luxuries, I think that allowing players to have monopolies is very historical and immersive.

I like to play maps with ten or more civs, so having 2 or 3 civs control a resource is reasonable. When it comes to something like wine or gold, no one nationality of people had a lock on it in ancient times.. and there's still enough enforced scarcity with the governer I installed to make trading mandatory. YMMV.

I'm starting to play using this map script, and I'm looking forward to some of the uniqueness it has. Cephalo, do you intend to continue updating this script, or do you consider it to be finished? I'd really like to see some more in-game-gui generation options, and an easy way to toggle the resource sweetening that seems to be a little controversial (personally, I'm willing to try it, but on the outset, I don't like it).

Also, if you explain within the comments portion of the script, and the script's description in the database, some of your philosophy regarding placement, massive deserts, and other questions that pop up repeatedly in this thread, you might not have to answer the same questions over and over, and maybe encourage a little more like-mindedness.

But mainly, I hope you keep tweaking the script and maybe make modifying it that much easier for noobs. I've read the descriptions, and very few of them make sense to me. Maybe, if you're not willing/able to make these options tweakable in the game setup GUI, can you offer in the script comments suggestions for alternative settings, and their likely consequences? ie. "Set the following to 0.8 to reduce the number of trees to sparse, or to 0.9 if you want lots of trees. Default is 0.85."

I would say that trying to make a map script for all Civ-players is kindof like writing a song for all music-lovers. It's not likely to be succesful. Ulitmately, I think it's best for me to be true to my own sensibilities and make a map in the way that I think is ideal.

I think that I will probably have at least one more version before Civ5 comes out, and I think it deserves to have a revamp of the comments portion. This map has gone through a great deal of evolution, and a few of the comments are just plain outdated. It get's more complicated when there are two or more variables that interact with each other. For example I think there are two variables that together control the amount of trees. Sometimes things end up alot more complicated than I intended.

I agree with you that the comments are a mess right now, and I would hate to leave the last version in such a state.

I would say that trying to make a map script for all Civ-players is kindof like writing a song for all music-lovers. It's not likely to be succesful. Ulitmately, I think it's best for me to be true to my own sensibilities and make a map in the way that I think is ideal.

I think that I will probably have at least one more version before Civ5 comes out, and I think it deserves to have a revamp of the comments portion. This map has gone through a great deal of evolution, and a few of the comments are just plain outdated. It get's more complicated when there are two or more variables that interact with each other. For example I think there are two variables that together control the amount of trees. Sometimes things end up alot more complicated than I intended.

I agree with you that the comments are a mess right now, and I would hate to leave the last version in such a state.

If you make another version is there any way you could put an option in for the amount of islands? (i.e. no islands, few islands, some islands, islands, many islands etc.) Or their size (i.e. small, medium, large, small continents, mixed)? I think they sometimes add a new dimension to the game, and make naval superiority more important.

EDIT: And to be clear, I mean islands as opposed to the continents. So there would be continents, but this function controls the islands.

Just wanted to chime in and say this is my favorite mapscript. I don't mind the resource clusters, and I also agree that it seems more natural that way and encourages resource trading (something I rarely do on most maps because I usually already have one of everything).

The only thing that sometimes bothers me is the propensity for most continents to have a large desert area in the center. I like the tactical and strategic impact it has on the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing it occasionally replaced with a massive plains area (ala the Great Plains in the US) or vast jungle (ala the Amazon). These would still have a similar impact on strategy, but it would also add a little more variety to the maps generated.

Just wanted to chime in and say this is my favorite mapscript. I don't mind the resource clusters, and I also agree that it seems more natural that way and encourages resource trading (something I rarely do on most maps because I usually already have one of everything).

The only thing that sometimes bothers me is the propensity for most continents to have a large desert area in the center. I like the tactical and strategic impact it has on the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing it occasionally replaced with a massive plains area (ala the Great Plains in the US) or vast jungle (ala the Amazon). These would still have a similar impact on strategy, but it would also add a little more variety to the maps generated.

I agree on all counts (this is the only script I play with). I have seen large swaths of jungle, but as far as plains or foretsts (for example) I have to agree with Tholal.

I hope I'm coming across correctly: what I mean to say is that, like many, I kind of looked sideways at the maps that this script generated and liked them for their beauty, but kind of scratched my head as to how things were placed. It wasn't until I read your reasoning in this thread that I understood why things appeared the way they did. It really makes a lot of sense, and seems to compliment gameplay rather than break it. If you mention this is in the script description and/or readme file, others would grasp this right off as well.

BTW, I also only play Noble, and can't get myself to play at AI-cheat difficulties. I'm happy as a clam that you seem to also play this way, since it means that the script has been tested according to the way I play, rather than how someone who has memorized the entire tech tree and has minmax strategies for all their favorite leaders plays. :crazyeye:

I'm also glad that there'll be one more rev. This is a very interesting script that attempts to do some pretty impressive things, and I really like it. Kudos! :goodjob:

Top Bottom