Dune University 2

One thing to consider:
If you get into a midgame stalemate position where you have difficulty making much headway through frontal assault, then I strongly recommend a raiding pillage war to harass enemies and destroy their economies.
With Fremen, it is well worth beelining for the tech that gives you the raider unit while picking up ecology techs, and ignoring the other military tech lines for quite some time. You don't even need defense tactics. Then push up for Naib's Chosen, and you have a solid military for capturing cities long before your enemies do, then backfill techs or demand some in tribute with peace deals. But you can get a very long way while ignoring a lot of the military tech tree.

Also: make sure to settle great bashar's in your Mahdi holy city, which can be an insane military production center.
Or get two good production cities; the mahdi holy city and another one with the military HQ, and settle bashars in both. Each can consistently put out a unit in ~2 turns through most of the game.

turnset 1; part 3 (turn ~190) :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

The first two Corrino cities fall fairly easily. Imperial Seat is a bit tougher to take but I finally punch through after taking a number of losses the previous turn. I still haven't researched Law of Arrakis and will find out how much of a misplay this is soon enough.
Spoiler :

The final defender (the other units are workers) for House Corrino doesn't have a prayer vs my CR3 bladesman. Unfortunately, once the last city comes out of revolt, I will be bleeding gold at 0% science. It will be impossible to reach Law of Arrakis in time (plus I would still have to build tribunals). I would have had a chance to keep these cities if I could have built tribunals as cities came out of revolt. Now it is too late (and Idle won't be enough to prevent strike). Game over man, game over. :eek:
Spoiler :
This is the only thing I can possibly do at this point. Time to recover the economy and get back in the game. At least House Corrino won't be a problem anymore.

I did play a few more turns after this. The situation :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Ouch. It is going to be tough to pull out a decent win here. I do have a tech trading partner (Feyd) and once house libraries/tribunals are built will be able to settle new cities (without crashing what little science output I have). I am not so far behind in tech that I won't be able to catch up, but my early mistakes will make it much harder than it would normally be after a rush. Comments/suggestions would be welcome. Is this game worth continuing?

No cottages at all?
Ouch.....

With a terraforming economy, I find cottages end up being very nice, so I would definitely build some early. A few spice tiles just isn't enough to support a decent economy.

I would also have razed the Corrino cities that weren't in excellent spots or had lots of stuff build already (maybe keep the capital), and then pillage the improvements around them.

Overextension is a killer - as it should be.

I guess you could give/sell away Corrino cities to someone you want as a long-term ally, or someone really weak who won't be able to get much use out of them?

hehe, I told ya to burn em, didn't I? :lol:

Actually, I'd have probably taken half of their cities, then retreated and let them retake them. Then hit 'em again after a while when the cities are worth something again. Think of it more like a raid than a land grab. The advice to pillage their improvements is also good. Sometimes, the early rush is more about the short term cash influx (and great general points) than any long term land holdings.

I guess you could give/sell away Corrino cities to someone you want as a long-term ally
I did...sort of. Feyd was the AI that got put in control of my oversea holdings, hence the +10 bonus for granting him his independence. Not a tactic I usually employ but in this case it was a good move to at least salvage the rush on Corrino. However, if I would have teched appropriately (read research Law of Arrakis), it would have not been necessary to grant independence to the Corrino cities. Tribunals make all the difference in a successful early rush - with them you can recover your economy, without them...well that leads to what happened to me in this game. :lol:
No cottages at all?
I have some but cannot work them (except for one IIRC) due to health issues. But you are right...ouch.

Yep, cottages are really only useful if you can get the extra population in your cities to work them. So if you are limited by health, happiness, or water (or all three) it's no good building them yet. I usually don't get any significant cottage economy going until at least a third of the way into the game turns or so. If I build one at all. It depends a lot on the game and the strategy I'm following.

One thing to consider:
If you get into a midgame stalemate position where you have difficulty making much headway through frontal assault, then I strongly recommend a raiding pillage war to harass enemies and destroy their economies.
With Fremen, it is well worth beelining for the tech that gives you the raider unit while picking up ecology techs, and ignoring the other military tech lines for quite some time. You don't even need defense tactics. Then push up for Naib's Chosen, and you have a solid military for capturing cities long before your enemies do, then backfill techs or demand some in tribute with peace deals. But you can get a very long way while ignoring a lot of the military tech tree.

I won't be able to use this EXCELLENT advice this game, but will definitely keep this in mind for Dune University 3 (which I have already started playing - rematch baby, rematch. :D)
Also: make sure to settle great bashar's in your Mahdi holy city, which can be an insane military production center.
Or get two good production cities; the mahdi holy city and another one with the military HQ, and settle bashars in both. Each can consistently put out a unit in ~2 turns through most of the game.
I plan on settling great bashars in the Madi holy city (which hopefully will be a high hammer city). I still plan to have three main military production cities (with mentats naturallly). The preceding comments apply to DU 3 of course. ;)

Top Bottom