Language translations for leader sayings

EDIT: sorry for posting this explanation twice, I didn't remember I had already.

Well, apparently I asked the question twice, so we're stuck in a time loop :p

Does Isabella use "vos"? I.E., is what she saying correct for the time period but wrong today? Or does her dialog only make sense as you plural?

Well, it could technically be the plural 2nd person, but it would make less sense than the "vos", which is perfectly accurate as far as I know (I'm no philologist, though). There is one occurrence of the "usted" (which wasn't used then) that has slipped: "espero que este trato reciba su bendición" (the equivalent of "would you be interested in a trade agreement with England" for Spanish, only with a mistake; I don't mind it because "usted" sounds already formal enough to me).

As of now, what she says would only have sense if she was speaking to a group of people (or as a parody of the speech of that era); I think the same applies in English, it's called the majestic plural.

If anything, they've made a mistake for her presentation: she calls herself "Isabel de España", while she should say "Isabel de Castilla"; only her grandson "Carlos I de España" (as he was called in our country) started using the term officially for the crowns of Castilla, Aragón and Navarra.

Yeah, but she knew ignorant Americans would be listening to her and they'd be confused :p

There are a couple of anachronisms throughout. Montezuma should be saying Mexica instead of Azteca, for example (he probably wouldn't have called himself Moctezuma, but Motecuhzoma, as well).

Well, I always get confused when I try to understand why there are all of a sudden riflemen killing each other in Westerns depicting the 1860s, so I can't say I blame you.

Thanks for the clarifications, Guandao. I've updated the parent post with a new version of Alexander's "Defeated" line. :)

Isabella is addressing the leader of another civ (unless we're assuming you're flanked by advisors when you go to meet her in her leader screen, which seems unlikely, since she doesn't have any by her). That said, the original idea was that each leader would have followers around them (Augustus in the Roman Senate, Elizabeth with her advisors, etc) so it's possible the lines were recorded before the final leaderscreen image was created.

Errors in the translation do abound, let's hope they improve on that for Civ VI. For me, my main pet peeve is that they didn't use all of the recorded lines in the game, they should do that in Civ VI. I would dearly love to see all the Civ V leaders use their Gloat and Demand lines, and Alexander and Wu need to use their Peaceful lines. But alas.

NebuchadnezzarHateYeslayer01 is Anna! (Certainly! Or Yes!), one of his neutralYes sounds similar, but I'm not sure it its the same exact word. I found "Anna" in an Akkadian dictionary online.

Has anyone ever made a thread for Civilization 4 unit dialogue? I would like to have them translated, especially the ones for Carthage, Holy Roman Empire, and Celtic. I've heard that they used Norwegian for the Viking units. Is that true?

I've heard they used Icelandic for the Viking units. It certainly isn't a mainland Scandinavian language because posters here have had trouble understanding it and thought it was just nonsense.

I'll give the Celts, Carthage, and HRE a listen. I might be able to pick up any German or Gaelic and figure out if that's the language used there. I don't have a clue what Western Phoenician sounded like, so I don't know about Carthage.

ETA: HRE speak German. Don't know if it's modern German or not - I don't really speak German.

I've heard they used Icelandic for the Viking units. It certainly isn't a mainland Scandinavian language because posters here have had trouble understanding it and thought it was just nonsense.

I'll give the Celts, Carthage, and HRE a listen. I might be able to pick up any German or Gaelic and figure out if that's the language used there. I don't have a clue what Western Phoenician sounded like, so I don't know about Carthage.

ETA: HRE speak German. Don't know if it's modern German or not - I don't really speak German.

The Vikings speak Norwegian in cIV and Danish in ciV.
I too think HRE speaks some older variation of German, or maybe Low German or another related German language. Cant say for sure though, as my knowledge of German is quite small. I speak only speak a little.

Does anyone know what kind of Greek does the Greek units speak?
How about the Byzantines?
Also, can anyone here translate Khmer or the Mali units?
The Native Americans definitely speak Mohawk.
We should make it a separate thread.

Yeah, start a Civ4 thread, it wouldn't hurt.

I'm still wondering what on earth Darius, Hiawatha and Askia are saying most of the time. Some of their lines can be guessed by matching their language XML lines with their statements, but still.....anyone versed in Aramaic, Mohawk or any Nigerian/Mali tongue?

Or, for Darius, an understanding of either Hebrew or Arabic might be helpful. Obviously, shlama elakh is Peace Be With You.

As of now, what she says would only have sense if she was speaking to a group of people (or as a parody of the speech of that era); I think the same applies in English, it's called the majestic plural.

Yes, indeed. Majestic plural is often used in Turkish, too; and the person you're talking to doesn't have to be an important figure. If he/she's a stranger, you would use plural elements.

I agree with Louis XXIV on the subject regarding Darius. Also I've noticed that his hate hello isn't translated. Though I don't know anything about Aramaic, I speak a little Arabic, so I'll go for it:

HateHello: (With an unpleasant tone) Oh, it's you.

I'm going back a few days here, but it looks to me like Isabella does indeed address either your civ in general or perhaps you and your delegation(?) or something. I made a proposal that she rejected, which prompted her to ask me "¿Estáis loco?" (second person plural - "are you all crazy?"). Which I found hilarious, since she's not just befuddled by you, but also your nation, your people, and everything about them by the fact that you asked for 7 gpt instead of the 6 you meant.

As we talked about it above, she might be using "vos," which doesn't exist anymore, but is how nobles addressed each other in the Renaissance.

Indeed. If you want further proof, notice how "loco" is singular, not plural. You may not notice it because in English, adjectives are invariable, while they are variable in romance languages ("you are crazies!" doesn't sound bad at all to a Spanish without English notions :p)

Where is Kamehameha's attacked phrase translation?

Also here is a list of credited voice actors, for those interested:

Washington: Marcel Jeanin-actor
Harun al Rashid: Laith Marouf
Montezuma: Alfredo Camacho
Wu Zetian: Rachel Lei Xie
Ramesses: George Saad
Elizabeth: Julia Lenardon-voice coach
Napoleon: Greg Gobbi-game developer
Bismarck: Heinz Becker
Alexander; Miro de Monteseppia
Gandhi: Avtar Sandhu
Hiawatha: Kanentokon Hemlock
Oda Nobunaga: Ryosuke Aoike
Suleiman: Onur Aydemir
Darius: Yassin Alsalman
Augustus: Emile Khordoc
Catherine: Svetlana Migdissova
Ramkhamhaeng: Thon Kongkaewpaisarn
Askia: Mori Majid

we should try contacting some of them, especially the ones for Askia, Montezuma, Darius, Hiawatha and Alexander.

Request: Greetings, We believe this is a fair proposal for both parties. What do you think? (สวัสดีเราเชื่อว่านี่เป็นข้อเสนอที่ยุติธรรมสำห รับ ทั้งสองฝ่ายท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร)

Has anyone here ever gotten annoyed by the fact that he says hello everytime, even if you're the one making the offer? I try to avoid playing against ramkhamhaeng just for that reason.

Top Bottom