[MOD] MagisterModmod

Just remembered something. I was playing a game as Falamar with the Lanun, and after a little while, I encountered an AI. Which leader? Falamar. It was weird, and I've never had that happen to me before in any game. All the other civs were set to random, but I thought it blocked the Civ and the leader the player used. Any ideas? Also, I have no idea how to do code and what not, so if I need to mess with it, I'm kinda screwed :crazyeye:

Something else that's pretty annoying: Every single time after I exit the game somehow all settings are reverted to default. Minimize Popups, Automated Workers Leave Old Improvements, resolution, Detailed City Info, Audio, Clock, literally everything gets reset to default whenever I start the game again after exiting it with this mod running.

This happens with some mods (ashes of Erebus is the same way). However, for me it seems to only occur if you switch mods and then change the settings or play or in that other mod (or bts). So as long as I only load up the one mod I play with, or upon loading up base bts do not change settings but immediately tell it to again load my preferred mod, it preserves the settings of that mod from before.

Not sure if that will be the same for you, but worth trying.

No, I never play with it on.
Edit: and it never goes down, either. It always says that, and nothing happens. I've tried checking and unchecking it in custom game, but it never seems to do anything.

Long shot, but you did make sure to start a new "play now" game to reset the hidden settings right? Standard procedure anytime you switch mods is to "play now" once before using custom game, to ensure hidden background settings for custom games aren't preserved from the old mod. If you don't "play now" once, all sorts of weirdness can result.

Also, on the falamar issue, did you perhaps have so many random civs (20 or more I'd suppose) that they ran out and started recycling? I think they only reuse civs once they use every civ once, but of course this mod has less civs than many of the other modmods, so might explain it if you were using a lot of civs.

Long shot, but you did make sure to start a new "play now" game to reset the hidden settings right? Standard procedure anytime you switch mods is to "play now" once before using custom game, to ensure hidden background settings for custom games aren't preserved from the old mod. If you don't "play now" once, all sorts of weirdness can result.

Also, on the falamar issue, did you perhaps have so many random civs (20 or more I'd suppose) that they ran out and started recycling? I think they only reuse civs once they use every civ once, but of course this mod has less civs than many of the other modmods, so might explain it if you were using a lot of civs.

I didn't do the play now game. I'll try it out and see if it works.

The Falamar thing was weird because there were only 6 players on the map, not including myself. It was a standard map size

I didn't do the play now game. I'll try it out and see if it works.

The Falamar thing was weird because there were only 6 players on the map, not including myself. It was a standard map size

Hopefully the "play now" thing will fix it. Even if not, it should still always be done once though whenever switching between mods (because there will be some other glitches that do come up if you don't).

Good luck!

Hopefully the "play now" thing will fix it. Even if not, it should still always be done once though whenever switching between mods (because there will be some other glitches that do come up if you don't).

Good luck!

It worked! Yay! Now to figure out why it had two Falamars, one of whom was me, with unrestricted leaders off XD

It worked! Yay! Now to figure out why it had two Falamars, one of whom was me, with unrestricted leaders off XD

Well, probably not worth trying to track down unless it reoccurs, as it could also be from some strange hidden option from another mod being read wrong and glitching things. It very well might be the "play now" fixed it as well.

If you are really worried about it, I'd say quickstart 4 games on huge maps (for the number of civs), then check which civs/leaders made it into the game, and report the glitch again if any civ or leader repeats.

Well, probably not worth trying to track down unless it reoccurs, as it could also be from some strange hidden option from another mod being read wrong and glitching things. It very well might be the "play now" fixed it as well.

If you are really worried about it, I'd say quickstart 4 games on huge maps (for the number of civs), then check which civs/leaders made it into the game, and report the glitch again if any civ or leader repeats.

If I have it happen again in one of my normal games, I'll do that

So I loaded up the Elohim and was playing. With my new unit promotion chart installed as part of the base modmod (insert more self-congratulation here) I could see that a couple of interesting/questionable units promoted to Counselor, the Elohim's custom replacement for the Berserker.

Does it make sense for Lunatics to be able to promote to Counselors? I get why it happens technically but seems odd lore-wise. Would seem to make more sense that the Divine, the Elohim Assassin replacement, could promote to a Counselor.

Also, is there a reason that Imps aren't marked as a unique unit for the Infernals? Marking them as a unique unit would then automatically exclude them from the unit promotion graph. They promote to everything, which ends up right now cluttering up the chart and giving the impression that any race can get them which is not true. To see this, fire up a game with any non-Infernal race and see how the Imps are right there at the bottom of the promotion chart.

In other news, I got not just Civ IV BTS 3.19 working on my MacBook under Wine, but also FFH II and even the Magister modmod. Much more convenient then having to fire up my old Windows laptop. Also much faster even running under Wine then it was running on the previous laptop.

so you are saying that my last reason to not-buy-an-apple-computer has died ?

so you are saying that my last reason to not-buy-an-apple-computer has died ?

Apparently yes, but the other five million are still alive and well. :p

So I loaded up the Elohim and was playing. With my new unit promotion chart installed as part of the base modmod (insert more self-congratulation here) I could see that a couple of interesting/questionable units promoted to Counselor, the Elohim's custom replacement for the Berserker.

Does it make sense for Lunatics to be able to promote to Counselors? I get why it happens technically but seems odd lore-wise. Would seem to make more sense that the Divine, the Elohim Assassin replacement, could promote to a Counselor.

Also, is there a reason that Imps aren't marked as a unique unit for the Infernals? Marking them as a unique unit would then automatically exclude them from the unit promotion graph. They promote to everything, which ends up right now cluttering up the chart and giving the impression that any race can get them which is not true. To see this, fire up a game with any non-Infernal race and see how the Imps are right there at the bottom of the promotion chart.

In other news, I got not just Civ IV BTS 3.19 working on my MacBook under Wine, but also FFH II and even the Magister modmod. Much more convenient then having to fire up my old Windows laptop. Also much faster even running under Wine then it was running on the previous laptop.
Was playing an Ilian game with the new version and used the infernal grimore, which summoned a imp. I went and looked at the unit progression chart, and imps were not in there.

Hey guys there are tradeoffs to Mac/PC/Linux/whatever.

All I am saying that each should have his own choice. Why should I have to be on Windows to play Magister's modmod or any FfH Modmod? I just want to click the icon and play when I want, not have to lug some other old computer out and hook it up. Besides which, every time I plug in that computer, which I use only for a couple of games like FfH, there are 50 billion Windows updates that try and load and take forever to install.

Weird thing, for some reason the Hollow Men were completely clear except for their heads, which were white. I was playing as the Ilians with the White Hand religion.

Just remembered something. I was playing a game as Falamar with the Lanun, and after a little while, I encountered an AI. Which leader? Falamar. It was weird, and I've never had that happen to me before in any game. All the other civs were set to random, but I thought it blocked the Civ and the leader the player used. Any ideas? Also, I have no idea how to do code and what not, so if I need to mess with it, I'm kinda screwed :crazyeye:

The ability to duplicate leaders, at least for puppet states, it as feature of MNAI that I thought I had disabled by changing iSplitType = RevCivUtils.SPLIT_PUPPET to iSplitType = RevCivUtils.SPLIT_FORCED.

Duplicating the player not through a puppet state would be very strange though.

Since Counselors are the same unit class as Berserkers, I cannot really prevent units that can upgrade to berserkers from upgrading to Counselors without blocking all units from upgrading to counselors.

Even thematically I see no problem with this upgrade path. It makes more sense than any other melee unit upgrading to a Counselor. The Lunatic would be healed of its Crazed and Enraged status when it gains Spirit III. Who better to counsel the mentally ill than someone who knows from experience what their mental illness is like and how to overcome it?

Technically almost every civ can have Imps, even if only the Infernals can train them. The unit is also a summon, requiring only Unholy Taint. All Ashen Veil priests have that, as do some heroes, and the units built in the city with Abashi's version of the Wyrmhold. As a limited duration summon, however, they are not likely to be upgraded. I suppose your suggestion makes sense, to simplify the chart.

Been using Magister for years, and little while ago checked back and saw you were still updating. Yay! Anyway, I haven't encountered a lot of problems, just some minor complaints. For some reason, there is a thing that says "lowest scorer will be removed in 100 turns". I don't know if that's supposed to be there, but my OCD hates me every time I look at it XD. Besides that, I only have a minor complaint about the Malakim citadel replacement, the tower of light I think(I'm more a Lanun/Grigori/Amurite/Illian kinda guy). Anyway, I just thought that it having the cultural border size of a small city a bit overpowered. Also, the AI spams forts EVERYWHERE, and they use them to corral me into a tiny whole. I don't know why the AI does that. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of the mod, and I think you did an amazing job. Keep up the good work :)
No, I never play with it on.
Edit: and it never goes down, either. It always says that, and nothing happens. I've tried checking and unchecking it in custom game, but it never seems to do anything.
That text would appear if you have on that game option I never use, but it seems odd for it not to count down. I suppose I could have messed something up when adding other text for other game options.

Not sure if it's a bug or something, but Sabathiel has been sitting on that hill with his starting settler and warrior for a dozen turns now and I don't think he is ever gonna move.

That is an AI issue, and thus more for Tholal than for me.

Tried another game, again as Lanun, and it appears to me that Pirate Coves aren't upgrading. Working them does nothing, putting a ship in them does nothing, putting a land unit in them does nothing, putting a ship and a land unit on them does nothing. :confused: Is there something I'm overlooking or is it bugged?
They upgrade fine for me, so long as you leave a unit with combat strength on them for long enough. A Workboat is not good enough, but any other ship should suffice. The string saying that it needs to be garrisoned does not update on the same turn that you place such a unit there, and sometimes seems to take multiple turns. I'm not sure why, but that is no different for land or sea superforts.

Working them matters if you are not using Advanced Tactics (which is required for fortifying to help, of course), but only then.

Something else that's pretty annoying: Every single time after I exit the game somehow all settings are reverted to default. Minimize Popups, Automated Workers Leave Old Improvements, resolution, Detailed City Info, Audio, Clock, literally everything gets reset to default whenever I start the game again after exiting it with this mod running.

I vaguely recall that happening to me once I first merged in the MNAI 2.7beta, but I unfortunately don't recall what I did to change that.
I experimented with some mods, and the settings reset problem I described above so far seems to be exclusive to this mod. Could it be related to the new "Nuclear Dissuasion" seting that was added or some other change brought about by MNAI?
I think "Nuclear Dissuasion" may be relevant somehow.

It might just be that the defaults have to reset whenever the number of options changes, but almost all mods have the same number of options so this rarely happens. That would probably mean that going back and forth between this mod and the MNAIv2.7betas would cause no problem, but alternating between either of those and any other mod would.

Edit, because half a dozen posts by me in a row are enough:

There is a bug where sometimes I can see units of other civs in the fog of war, without the terrain they are on or anything else. Not only that, but when I tried visiting one such tile which I assume holds the capital of the Bannor my ship doesn't reveal that tile at all, even though it is on it and can even change crews! Also Sabathiel seems to be getting a kick out of rallying a dozen warriors on a ruins improvement on our border while leaving a goblin fort to his north completely untouched. No really, it's been a hundred turns or so since he presumably killed the lizardman guarding it and since then he continuously sent more and more units on it, but not exploring it. Perhaps he is stuck in a loop or something?

Yeah, I definitely noticed the fog of war issues, and am not quite sure what to do about them. I think these are due to Tholal's recent changes, which grant visibility in embassies and have a resolution to share maps. It might be the interplay between those and code I already had in place, for the resolution that shares line of sight or grants embassies automatically for members of the same counsel.

I also remember some similar bugs in old versions of my modmod from before I started using MNAI at all. I think they were related to the Revelation spell back then, or the Sidar ability to destroy previously revealed maps.

I look into this some more, but suspect a solution will have to wait for Tholal's next release. I probably won't update again until he does anyway.

Weird thing, for some reason the Hollow Men were completely clear except for their heads, which were white. I was playing as the Ilians with the White Hand religion.
I tried to make Hollow Men a little more than halfway transparent (since canonically they are very hard to see), and make the faces completely transparent, but found that increasing the transparency of the hoods caused them to take on the player's color rather than becoming see through at all. It was not so bad when the player had the default Illian color scheme, but looked awful in the gold and purple hues sometimes given to additional players. Just leaving the hoods opaque pale grey seemed better.

I thought about going back and making the body's transparency gradually shift from completely invisible at the feet to opaque at the hoods. (I also thought about changing their weapon to something more primitive looking.) Then decided that would be more work than I felt like doing at that moment.

On my computer the difference in transparency between head and torso is not really noticeable unless you look very carefully. I guess it is different for you?

The ability to duplicate leaders, at least for puppet states, it as feature of MNAI that I thought I had disabled by changing iSplitType = RevCivUtils.SPLIT_PUPPET to iSplitType = RevCivUtils.SPLIT_FORCED.

Duplicating the player not through a puppet state would be very strange though.

No, I had Puppet states turned off

Was playing an Ilian game with the new version and used the infernal grimore, which summoned a imp. I went and looked at the unit progression chart, and imps were not in there.

I just checked with Illians, and the unit upgrade chart isn't working at all for them. I know that it was working with the last version of the modmod so I'll have to check as to why. I checked with Balseraphs and Elohim and it works for both of them (aside from the strange issue where units that upgrade to multiple different kinds of unitclasses seem not to display all upgrade paths, but at least the chart overall shows up and works pretty well.)

Hey guys there are tradeoffs to Mac/PC/Linux/whatever.

All I am saying that each should have his own choice. Why should I have to be on Windows to play Magister's modmod or any FfH Modmod? I just want to click the icon and play when I want, not have to lug some other old computer out and hook it up. Besides which, every time I plug in that computer, which I use only for a couple of games like FfH, there are 50 billion Windows updates that try and load and take forever to install.
just install FFH on your new computer...
that's what I did.
I bought a new comp last year (win 8) installed cIV and FFH...and all is well under the world.

Is there a reason all of the Frostling units are not Uniques for Illians (or the Frozen, I am not really sure how one gets Frostlings in the first place outside of capturing enemy units with Command promotions)?

Just trying to clear up and organize the unit promotion chart a bit more and also think about how to make unit types and availability most clear for players in general.

Is there a reason all of the Frostling units are not Uniques for Illians (or the Frozen, I am not really sure how one gets Frostlings in the first place outside of capturing enemy units with Command promotions)?

Just trying to clear up and organize the unit promotion chart a bit more and also think about how to make unit types and availability most clear for players in general.

You can't normally obtain frostlings, as far as I know. I think the only way is to do Samhain after the Draw or Acencsion rituals

Top Bottom