Could the new ideology system bring about civil wars to the game?

UltraRobPrime

Chieftain
Lets say Poland adopted order in all of their cities. But then one city is converted to freedom, and then another city loses the order ideology. Eventually Poland has 10 cities with order while 7 have freedom. I would imagine having an empire that is divided like that would cause cultural, scientific, and happiness losses each turn. Would the cities with freedom break off from Poland and cause a civil war? Would this feature be included in BNW? After all, many civil wars in history like Vietnam, Korea and the Spanish Civil War were caused by clashing ideologies within nations.

You can't have individual cities with different ideologies as far as I know. You adopt one for your entire civilization. Opposing civs, on the other hand, can flip your cities to their side via ideology pressure.

Yeah. It's already been established that cities flip to another civ when they want the other civ's ideology. As much as I want (and have always wanted) a viable mechanic for revolutions and civil wars, this, alas, does not seem to be it.

I hope that there will be some buffer time between city revolting and joining other civ. That will give us option to bring troops to revolting city to force them to join us back still not dowing other civ.

Yeah. It's already been established that cities flip to another civ when they want the other civ's ideology. As much as I want (and have always wanted) a viable mechanic for revolutions and civil wars, this, alas, does not seem to be it.

Where has it been established? I was under the impression the context of this flipping was ideological rather than a sovereignty issue.

I've just seen the city flipping thread and perused it to find some interesting points, but I would not say it is established yet. I trust gaming journalism less than I trust politicians, frankly the standard of research and writing is generally appalling. I look forward to seeing some footage of this though, it sounds very intriguing whatever the outcome

If Ideology causes Unhappiness, and -20 Unhappiness causes revolts (as it does currently), then theoretically, yes.
So city flip only when unhappy is very low? Happiness is global thing, so what will determinate witch city actually flips to other civ? I bet you can counter that massive unhappiness with lux and sopols etc. but still loosing city because of tourism pressure. And in other hand i can drop -20 with bunch of other reasons than idelogy and what then, city probably won't flip just from unhappiness. It must be some other mechanism.

I believe he said somewhere that player will have the chance to switch to the opposing ideology before the cities flip. To me it sounds like the player will have a fair chance to try to stop it, and it won't be "random" like some people seem to think.

Would love this idea, but I do think that the city-flipping is sovereignty.

Where has it been established? I was under the impression the context of this flipping was ideological rather than a sovereignty issue.

I've just seen the city flipping thread and perused it to find some interesting points, but I would not say it is established yet. I trust gaming journalism less than I trust politicians, frankly the standard of research and writing is generally appalling. I look forward to seeing some footage of this though, it sounds very intriguing whatever the outcome

It's been established in 2 interviews and by Dennis himself. It seems to work like that: if you have a strong cultural pressure on a civ with a different ideology, it will start to cause unrest. If they fail to do something about it, they will be presented with the choice to either switch to your ideology, or their cities will start flipping over to you.

Top Bottom