City Art Styles

The icon of the Brazilian UU (maybe?) is a snake? Interesting:king:

A snake smoking a pipe, no less.

Anyways, I also feel there's room for African and Middle Eastern styles to be differentiated, at least in terms of city style, but preferably music as well. Although the latter would involve more research and expense, and is thus less likely.

As for Brazil having a Native American style instead of a European style like America? I'm not familiar with Brazilian culture, so someone who knows better can freely correct me, but I'm guessing its in reference to Brazilian culture more strongly integrating native traditions and people than the United States did.

And, as per below, I've been quite thoroughly corrected.

A snake smoking a pipe, no less.

Anyways, I also feel there's room for African and Middle Eastern styles to be differentiated, at least in terms of city style, but preferably music as well. Although the latter would involve more research and expense, and is thus less likely.

As for Brazil having a Native American style instead of a European style like America? I'm not familiar with Brazilian culture, so someone who knows better can freely correct me, but I'm guessing its in reference to Brazilian culture more strongly integrating native traditions and people than the United States did.

Brazil is mainly a country of european culture with some influence of african culture and very little influence of native american culture. I think a unique style or the southern european style would fit better.

Brazil is mainly a country of european culture with some influence of african culture and very little influence of native american culture. I think a unique style or the southern european style would fit better.

This...

It doesn't make much sense to have current South American countries use the Native city style, because our culture is pretty much merged with European culture in very unique ways...

I dare to hope actually that even if they already showed shots with Brazil's current style, its still something that can change before release, so yeah...

There are only two major regions in the Americas where native traditions have shaped the postcolonial society to such an extent: Mesoamerica and the Andes (essentially, where relatively sedentary and technologically advanced societies existed). Brazil lies in neither of those regions, so native american traditions didn't influence its culture that much; the thing is that since the Latin American country that is closest to the USA, Mexico, was deeply culturally influenced by the preexisting Mesoamerican societies, Americans tend to generalize such importance of native american culture to all of Latin America, whereas Mexico is in fact the exception in this regard within Latin America. In Brazil, for instance, African cultures had a much larger impact on the country than native american cultures did (Brazil has a similar ancestry composition to the American South).

There are only two major regions in the Americas where native traditions have shaped the postcolonial society to such an extent: Mesoamerica and the Andes (essentially, where relatively sedentary and technologically advanced societies existed). Brazil lies in neither of those regions, so native american traditions didn't influence its culture that much; the thing is that since the Latin American country that is closest to the USA, Mexico, was deeply culturally influenced by the preexisting Mesoamerican societies, Americans tend to generalize such importance of native american culture to all of Latin America, whereas Mexico is in fact the exception in this regard within Latin America. In Brazil, for instance, African cultures had a much larger impact on the country than native american cultures did (Brazil has a similar ancestry composition to the American South).

Agree and in the case of the Southern Cone countries, the european influence has shaped practically all the culture.

I'd like to see Spain and Portugal using the mediterranean city styles instead of the european city styles...

I agree. I want to see Ragusa use the Mediterranean style as well (after all, Ragusa is the historical name of Dubrovnik, Croatia (and their buildings look almost exactly like the Mediterranean city set)).

It seems I stand humbly corrected, then. Live and learn. In that case, yeah, the Mediterranean style would be best for Brazil, Spain, and Portugal. A unique Iberian city style for the three (and theoretically any other post-colonials from such nations) would be even better, even if just as a Polynesia-style retexture, but I don't see that as likely.

It seems I stand humbly corrected, then. Live and learn. In that case, yeah, the Mediterranean style would be best for Brazil, Spain, and Portugal. A unique Iberian city style for the three (and theoretically any other post-colonials from such nations) would be even better, even if just as a Polynesia-style retexture, but I don't see that as likely.

The medterrianan style is pretty close, so...

The medterrianan style is pretty close, so...

True enough -- it's lower priority than, say, giving African and South Asian civs at least a sembleance of their own architecture instead of making them use Middle Eastern and East Asian, respectively. Here's hoping we'll at least see that much...

True enough -- it's lower priority than, say, giving African and South Asian civs at least a sembleance of their own architecture instead of making them use Middle Eastern and East Asian, respectively. Here's hoping we'll at least see that much...

Yeah, india and mongols and such using japanese style architecture (It seems more japanese specifically than asian) annoys the crap out of me.

In general, I think all the asian civs other than japan should use the polynesian set.

Shaka seems to be in, are the Zulus really gonna have to share the same art style as Persia?

Portugal isn't actually on the Mediterranean, IIRC.
Yes but by Mediterranean people are referring to an architectural style that Portugal also uses, what with it being very close to the Mediterranean and all. so, if Spain's art style were switched to Mediterranean, then Portugal's should be made Mediterranean too. ;)

I loved the Pracinha's design. I'm curious about the city foundation order also.

I love game design arts, and am also excited to see the other confirmed civs U.U. and U.B.

In civ IV there were sensible differences among them, and there were mods that increased that feeling. Pehamps they may develop separate releases to contemplate that, not necessarily on BNW.

Top Bottom