Who is this new leader?

???tragedy??? I don't think so. :(
and also there wasn't any full dynasty as madness :(
Well, she goes mad, then her husband died, then her eldest child died then her palace was filled with screams. She lived the last 8 years of her life in Brazil being unhappy...

Sounds tragic enough to me...

Really hoping for a Morocco/Algeria/Mauritania/Al-Andalus/Moor/Berber leader! Please someone make it happen! A scholar leader speaking MOZARABIC would be simply amazing! A language melting Latin and Arabic sounds very interesting.
Astronomy and geometry, for example, saw great development in Al-Andalus Hispania under the name of al-Zarqali, al-Majriti, al-Saffar... The latter wrote a treatise on the astrolabe, quite influential when it comes to Iberian navigation.

Portugal will make it in the game, but I have an extremely difficult time believing they'd use the term "dynasty" in reference to Portugal. Clearly not them.

They posted this on Facebook:

A dynasty characterized by tragedy and madness…

I'd say the use of the word 'dynasty' - and not, say, 'kingdom' or 'nation' - is very significant. It may point to an Eastern civ rather than an European one.

The key difference is not Eastern vs. European, but that a "dynasty" reflects a family. And European royal families tended to intermary heavily - as a result it may be that the 'tragedy and madness' refers to members of the dynasty who are associated with countries other than the civ being teased.

Not sure it fits Portugal well; Maria would be an odd choice in an expansion that also includes Brazil, and I doubt they'd refer to "tragedy and madness" if the madness was associated with a later ruler than the Civ leader.

Well, she goes mad, then her husband died, then her eldest child died then her palace was filled with screams. She lived the last 8 years of her life in Brazil being unhappy...

I don't know, they say it's a dynasty wrapped in madness and tragedy not the leader specifically. I don't know how often tragedy and madness befell the House of Braganza prior and after her.

There's no reason to ever choose a background with water for Timur. Nothing about the image even evokes Timur except the arbitrary feather shadow, which itself was nothing Timur invented but he adopted from the Ottomans (and more generally Persian culture).

I'd say everything points to one of the Moorish dynasties.

Describing the Avis Dinasty, or the Braganza Dinasty (the ones more liekely to generate
Leaders for Portugal) as 'characterized by tragedy and madness' seems exaggerated...
Also, the shadow seems like Indian-Related rather than Portuguese

This is a mediterranean/european leader as seen by the architecture. The water suggests it's a civ on the ocean or along great rivers.

I would say it's most likely Portugal, perhaps Holy Roman Empire.

Shaka must be spinning in his grave right now, cursing his fashion sense for picking such a distinct and easily identifiable dress.

This is a mediterranean/european leader as seen by the architecture. The water suggests it's a civ on the ocean or along great rivers.

I would say it's most likely Portugal, perhaps Holy Roman Empire.

Mediterranean means Southern European as much as North African... Let me dream of a moor leader.

but not "A dynasty characterized by tragedy and madness"
the Braganza dynasty there are great names without the tragedy and or madness part!

I'm going with:

1) Portugal. The architecture and description fit well. They had madness and unfortunate deaths
2) Morocco. The shadow's head dress speaks of Middle Eastern influence.

but not "A dynasty characterized by tragedy and madness"
the Braganza dynasty there are great names without the tragedy and or madness part!

What dynasty that was 100% crazy and tragic would keep a throne let alone lead a nation to greatness?

I'm not so sure that the architecture is clearly European/Mediterranean.

I think viable alternatives to Portugal (which seems to be favored here), in no particular order:

-Morocco/Moors/Berbers/etc.
-Timurids
-Romanians (might be Vlad Tepes)
-Mughals (would necessitate a reworking of India, but I don't think anyone would mind)

Dennis said that the Africa scenario has both north Africa and sub-sahara civs, some of them probably scenario only. so maybe the mystery shadow man is a north-african leader.

From what civ, don't know..

Top Bottom