France's new UA and possible implications

Brazil's UA doubles ALL tourism (and boosts GA generation), but ONLY during golden ages.
France's UA doubles ONLY the theming bonuses (in their Capital), but ALL the time.

If pursuing a CV, both will have to build a lot of wonders and use their UUs to fuel their UA. Brazil may be able to achieve long/frequent golden ages, minimizing the downside of its UA; France may reach a cap where there isn't more slots for their Great Works in their Capital, or completing a theme becomes difficult.

I don't know if we have enough info to make these assumptions, but if they're correct, then France's UA could use a little something more... maybe its old cultural bonus, at least for Paris.

The point is early bonuses are normally better then later bonuses. As in France will be a lesser form of byzantium. France will probably be more like normal in Power.
but if the Aztec bonus and the honor bonus stays the same, they might become early game culture kings.

For Brazil you got to remember that only excess happiness and artists can create golden ages now. And in order to be in golden ages most of the game you need to sacrifice a lot of great Works.

The mud pyramid mosque might be a good UB now.

If pursuing a CV, both will have to build a lot of wonders and use their UUs to fuel their UA. Brazil may be able to achieve long/frequent golden ages, minimizing the downside of its UA; France may reach a cap where there isn't more slots for their Great Works in their Capital, or completing a theme becomes difficult.

I don't know if we have enough info to make these assumptions, but if they're correct, then France's UA could use a little something more... maybe its old cultural bonus, at least for Paris.

Maybe it doesn't need any buff . Depending on how early it is possible to generate a Great artist,then they can start generating lots of culture and tourism much earlier than Brazil .

Overall France was one of the strongest civs in vanilla. It became even stronger after G&K changed upgrade paths. It would become even more powerful if it retained the same UA while overall culture output is reduced. The still have very powerful first UU, while second one is quite weak.

If the ability works exactly as it described, this would be rather weak, IMHO. But I could imagine a small thing which would make the ability interesting. I mean - what if French Palace has 2 great art slots?

So with a strong possibility of France having a new UI (based off of screenshots), is it more likely to imagine that they are losing a UU, or is Firaxis going to blow our minds when they announce every civ is getting a third unique?

Probably just a UU replacement (my money would be on the Foreign Legion).

In any case, France seems to be getting an overhaul.

I think they would nix the Musketeer since their potency is largely fictional.

*sigh* the Foreign Legions are better UUs than the Musketeers, IMO. But I guess since they are less iconic, the former will be the ones to go.

I think they would nix the Musketeer since their potency is largely fictional.

Yeah, but I rather like them, even if they are exaggerated. Though I'd also have a hard time saying goodbye to the FL.

Make this easier on me Firaxis and give everyone a pleasant surprise: third uniques! /crossfingers

I'd rather see the Musketeer nixed. Foreign Legions are actually fairly strong units still in game, imo cooler to use, and sort of go better with the new "Offensive Culture" France that seems to be happening

The Musketeers already have the French achievement tied to them.

And come on... Musketeers!

If they toss out the FL, I hope they become a generally available unit. I just don't like to see graphical assets kicked to the curb.

How about they make Versailles a new wonder, with culture bonus etc, which also grants three Musketeer units to whichever Civ constructs it?

The point is early bonuses are normally better then later bonuses. As in France will be a lesser form of byzantium. France will probably be more like normal in Power.

Not to mention that, as it stands, France's UUs are both in the mid-late game. If their Unique Ability also won't gear up until the mid game, that will really hamper them.

Top Bottom