Is city flipping back?

JtW

Prince
In today's presentation, somewhere around 28:30, Dennis says that if you pump out enough tourism to a civilization of another ideology and they ignore it, their cities can start flipping over to your side. If this is to be taken literally, it would mean that city flipping is back in some form...

What do you guys think? Would you be happy to see city flipping back? How would it have to work? Or am I misinterpreting his words here? :crazyeye:

I enjoyed being passive aggressive in Civ IV and expanding by culture flipping cities, but it doesn't sound like it will be that easy this time around and it will be in the late game, so far less common. It might make the Tourism civs like France and Brazil a bit more appealing to me.

Okay, so I confess, I may have gotten into the Civilization series by way of Civ Rev (I'm sorry, I swear I'm not a horrible person...), but I have long since upgraded to CiV. I've liked it much better in every way...except one.

I know I can't be the only one here excited about the reintroduction of culture flipping! (For reference, Dennis mentions it around 28:30 in this video: http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/389525395)

Since there didn't seem to be any discussion going on about it in any of the other threads, I thought I'd start one.

What we know so far is this:
  • Flipping is related to ideologies, tourism and happiness.
  • It occurs when your tourism overwhelms another civ's culture. (Much like the cultural VC, and likely only applies to civs of other ideologies.)
  • It can be prevented by increasing happiness or culture, or through war.

Anyone have any ideas about how they expect/hope it will be implemented, or any other commentary?

Civs randomly flipping to another nation?
No thanks.

:Sigh: I spend 20 minutes fishing out all the info I can and coming up with a witty title for my thread on this...and am beaten to the punch by 5 minutes. Story of my life. =(

But yes, it looks like flipping is back and I, for one, am stoked!

~R~

He was more than likely reaffirming his statements made during the PAX Demo, in which he stated that tourism generated by another Civ of a different ideology may make citizens in that city unhappy and wish to adopt that ideology, making them "flip" ideologies.

I would prefer no. It's also possible to interpret it to mean that they start longing for your ideology.

He was more than likely reaffirming his statements made during the PAX Demo, in which he stated that tourism generated by another Civ of a different ideology may make citizens in that city unhappy and wish to adopt that ideology, making them "flip" ideologies.

True, he mentions that your people will become unhappy if they feel you've incorporated an unpopular ideology. But he also directly talks about CITIES flipping over IF you ignore the aforementioned unhappiness. Sounds like city flipping to me.

Flipping is back?? Dear lord, YES!! I love that feature and was sorely missing it in CiV!

I sure hope culture flipping is back. That and border tiles swapping as well. Those are two things I miss most from previous civ games.

I used to enjoy it when a cultural enemy was pushing my borders back, forcing me to start war with them.

@Scott, it doesn't have to be absolutely random. You would likely be aware you are losing the support of your citizens.

Dennis did not say that (he was not specific at all!) but I imagine the flipping would change the city into something like a puppet, with out changing political borders. A number of resources produced by the city would go into your pocket, or even more likely - population of that city would flock toward your cities.

Now that I think about it, the culture will probably involve exactly the same pressure system as religion.

He was talking about the ideology system, and so he probably meant the flipping of ideologies and not cities. It's important to take what he says within the context of what he's talking about.

If city-flipping was back, somebody would have surely mentioned that as an important way for culture civs to win the game.

Dennis was talking about ideologies when he mentioned "flipping;" it's possible to compel your opponent to change to your ideology if you win the Tourism war. I don't believe he was talking about cities flipping. I think this would have been mentioned before if such a key feature had changed.

Dennis explicitly mentions "cities flipping to my side," so I'm interpreting that as culture-flipping, unless cities can individually flip over to an opponent's ideology.

no he meant that population will gain you're ideology cities will adopt you're ideology

But you're taking the statement out of context. The subject was ideologies.

This. Watching the stream there's no indication that Civ4-style culture flipping is back in (for better or worse;)).

Can someone tell me roughly in the video he talks about it? I don't really feel like watching the whole thing, but it would be nice to get greater context.

Top Bottom