Is city flipping back?

Yes, based on multiple articles, I believe city flipping is back. I don't think borders move though. I just think there will be warnings and when enough pressure is reached then a city with all of it's borders will flip.

I like that it's a choice now. Glad city-flipping is back, as I initially said was the right way to interpret Shirk's statements. :p

This could also mean that ideologies will work like religions: Civ will have an "official" ideology that they try to spread, but their cities can contain representatives of other ideologies. Having a city convert to a foreign ideology provides bonuses to the other civ and penalties to the city owner.

That's just my guess though.

Note that none of the batch of today's previews mentions city-flipping. On the contrary, the Rock-Paper-Shotgun preview describes the new system in contrast to the old city-flipping mechanic: "Rather than the border-chomping cultural push of Civilization IV, tourism is a resource collected by the host nation and the aim, for a new cultural victory, is to collect so much tourism that other civs fall at your feet in awe."

Hey Arioch. Actually, the GameInformer article is pretty clear about city flipping: "It’s important to keep an eye on what your neighbors are doing, though, as a rival with high tourism and a different set of ideologies could cause cities to flip. Unlike in the past, players can defend against traitorous metropolises by succumbing to the will of the people. Civilization IV was the last time that cities could be “culture flipped,” but unlike with that title, the ideology system provides a way for leaders to react. In the past, there wasn’t much that could be done to avoid cities leaving."

From: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...on-will-be-quintessential-civ-experience.aspx

Only thing that annoys me is that you will be forced to go on the offensive again just because the Ai is spamming their ideology just when you wanted to peacefully

Only thing that annoys me is that you will be forced to go on the offensive again just because the Ai is spamming their ideology just when you wanted to peacefully

Or you can build a strong cultural state from the get-go. Then you don't need to go on any offensives and can play peacefully.

Not if you play a tall-culture game. All your cities will have high culture outputs so you'd be naturally immune from the "normal" unhappiness from competing ideologies.

Or you can build a strong cultural state from the get-go. Then you don't need to go on any offensives and can play peacefully.

Exactly. This is what they've been talking about this whole time, describing Tourism as "cultural offense" and the old Culture as "cultural defense". Ideologies provide a non-military way for Builders to interfere with opponents, and take over their cities.

The player on the receiving end either has to focus enough on their own culture to defend themselves, or swap ideologies to something that perhaps favours their style of play less.

Of course, if they're a determined warmonger, they can always take the city back by force, and crush their impudent cultural neighbour. :p

I hope its true that the warmonger penalty has been changed and dennis isn't saying wrong things like in gods and kings :)

Its one thing that annoys me the most about civ 5

I used to enjoy it when a cultural enemy was pushing my borders back, forcing me to start war with them.
It was quite annoying for me especially when you conquered a city & it was all surrounded by enemy borders. It made conquests very boring!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Note that none of the batch of today's previews mentions city-flipping. On the contrary, the Rock-Paper-Shotgun preview describes the new system in contrast to the old city-flipping mechanic: "Rather than the border-chomping cultural push of Civilization IV, tourism is a resource collected by the host nation and the aim, for a new cultural victory, is to collect so much tourism that other civs fall at your feet in awe."

Just to clarify why these two things aren't inconsistent:

This is talking about the slow border expansion gobbling up tiles, which does not appear to be in. This is different from flipping, which does appear to be back. The city will keep its tiles either way, from what I can tell.

I kind of thought it was obvious that flipping was coming back when they first said that cities could join other civilizations because of ideologies in the first article where they revealed it.

Top Bottom