That Other Stuff

I_qua_I

Prince
A lot of the stuff we're hearing about the upcoming expansion sounds pretty cool. I honestly don't know what I'm more excited about, the overhaul to the culture victory/system (sans the unfortunate wording of the "tourism" mechanic) or the new trade system.

There is still one thing that has bothered me since the game's release though (no, not you Ms. Wu :D) and since the announcement of BNW a small glimmer of hope regarding its improvement has crept back into my "most wanted" list for Civ5 (Two wishes already came true today with the confirmation of the Zulu and Portugal.)

What is it that's been so disappointing for so long though apparently not disappointing enough for anyone else to change it by now? The map replay. That's right, for those of you who have been around since the original vanilla release, this feature didn't even exist when Civ5 first hit the scene. I recall the community being pretty peeved about this (and vocal too) and it was later announced that it would be making a comeback. I was pretty stoked after hearing this as many of the most satisfying moments I had in Civ4 were watching that map replay after a really good game.

Then, it was released and to be honest, I actually remember wishing that it hadn't been. Even now, I find it bewilderingly clunky and, well, ugly. "Why couldn't they just make it like the in-game map?" I thought. "Is that Germany, The Huns, or some tundra?", "Where are the land boundaries?", "Why are a few bright orange cultural hexes still scattered about when the Dutch were wiped out by Theodora 20 turns ago?" Overall, It seemed like some last-minute, half-project that was slapped together at the last second of the last minute to appease us civvers.

I don't expect the map replay to get an update but a guy can dream can't he? Anyway, are any of you still disappointed in this feature and would you appreciate an update? Also, are there any other (minor) changes that you would love to see made to the UI or mechanics of the game that haven't been addressed?

NOTE: NO, "I HOPE THEY ADD CIVILIZATION X OR RELIGION X TO THE GAME!" PLEASE.) This thread is intended for the UI or mechanic-oriented hopefuls out there.

I am one of the onew who was vocally upset about this not being in the Original game (but lets be honest, back then there were so many things to complain about); and once it was introduced (through a patch or G&K, I don't recall), I was mildly pleased. I dont see anything too bad about it (other than the color schemes, which you mentioned). Then again, I probably don't finish many games (can only think of about a half-dozen in 1200 hours).
Some of the minor things I would like to see changed are:

Color Schemes (I started a thread for this awhile back, it did not garner much interest.)

Victory Movies -- give us a little more when wwe finally win, huh? A splash screen just doesn't cut it.

An option to be notified EVERY time a city grows (not just until pop 6)

Fortify until healed units should not be blind. If a barb is coming, they should be alerted, like workers.

i don't have much to add besides: yea i agree the replay needs a lot of work. Maybe you you play on maps without any ocean it's alright, but the lack of geographical (as opposed to political) border definitions really kills.

I really miss the stats in Civ 4 at the end where it said how many of each unit I built and killed and lost and how many of each building I built. Especially with carpets of doom, I find it very satisfying to see that I killed probably thousands of pikemen in a game. I also like to see which units killed the most other units and stuff. I just enjoyed that screen and feel it would be a pretty easy include, but it probably won't happen.

Top Bottom