Blue Marble V4.0 Gold

Nictel, you are a bloody god send

did exactly what you said, it worked :D

only difference being that as soon as i started the installer up, it didn't ask for the location of the .exe

i had actually intended to start this post with a mini-rant about Vista, but tried what you said, and decided against it (but im still keeping the first two lines though, cause its more or less the truth

*start of mini-rant*
#$%$ING WINDOWS VISTA

gotta complicate EVERY DAMN THING POSSIBLE :wallbash:
*end of mini-rant*

i would like to point out that i didnt use Vista until Feb. of this year (i turned 18 :)) and my dad got me a new comp (it was actually a refurbished one, but in terms of specs (OS aside) it was better than my old comp) so up until then, i had been using the way more game friendly XP and i had used the old blank .exe trick to install Blue Marble

slightly off topic, but i played my first, full-length, game of BtS today :D
i lost (to Hatshepsut, who acted like a friggin rabbit during the early game, which lead to her having a Cultural Victory...)
but i played it from start to finish all in one sitting

though, given that i started with Civ Rev, Civ IV confused the hell outta me (and still does O.o), so i played a custom game with random civ and leader with standard sized map with the time condition removed (i turtle like hell) and i was playing on settler, cause i iz nub :twitch:

i probably would've won with a Space Race victory if Shaka hadnt randomly declared war on me several times, which lead to me having to switch the tech i was researching just so i could survive his war elephant attacks...

yes, i feel proud of the fact that, even though i lost, i played an entire match through to its end, cause usually i get bored and go play something else >.>

I've noticed that the installer requires elevation to admin, but still saves most files in the user's directory (instead of the game's). This has the terrific side-effect of not being able to install the textures for a limited user.

Charming. I think someone should fix this.

I've got a few comments.

1) I like the mod. It looks good. Thanks.
2) The installer works well, but I'd prefer to have the option of downloading a zip archive of all the assets so that I don't have to run an .exe and give admin rights etc.
3) I dislike the rebranding of the menu screen. ie. the big and loud "blue marble edition" logo. That kind of stuff really really annoys me. Last time I installed blue marble I had to immediately uninstall it because of this issue... but this time I know more about Civ4 assets, so I was able to just find the offending files and delete them. Now I'm very happy with the result. So thanks again.

Personally, I like the darker terrain. Looks more real. Downloading!

My only worry is this compatible with Deletat diversica mods?

I've got a few comments.

1) I like the mod. It looks good. Thanks.
2) The installer works well, but I'd prefer to have the option of downloading a zip archive of all the assets so that I don't have to run an .exe and give admin rights etc.
3) I dislike the rebranding of the menu screen. ie. the big and loud "blue marble edition" logo. That kind of stuff really really annoys me. Last time I installed blue marble I had to immediately uninstall it because of this issue... but this time I know more about Civ4 assets, so I was able to just find the offending files and delete them. Now I'm very happy with the result. So thanks again.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12675

Here. I made this download back when I played Civ IV mods quite a bit. It contains all the blue marble terrain files without the installer plus a farm and water texture from another pack that I particularly enjoy. I think Blue Marble has the best terrain out there. But the installer always caused trouble for me (and other people it seems). It's a .rar file. You'll need winzip. Just download it for free and use the evaulation version. If you don't know where everything should go, look around google.

By the way -- Good to be back and playing Civ IV again after a one year break! Civ V is a big disappointment that only mods can save to say the least.

i bought bts from steam but have vanilla and warlords from cd, is there any way to make this work with bts?

I agree with a lot of your points, the Blue Marble mod does a lot of good things, but seems damned determined to give you very little control over them. For instance, there is no switch to prevent it from changing the backgrounds for Final Frontier, or from adding that irritating little banner to the start screen. Some installers can be looked at with a zip archiver, so you can extract and install manually, this one can't (though this probably isn't a deliberate attempt to stop vigilant players).

(On the other hand, its theme changer is really excellent and allows you to change the color of the interface at any time. Spiffy as heck.)

Since Blue Marble doesn't seem to work with Revolution DCM, I'm taking matters into my own hands by trapping the installed files and doing with them what I like:

1. Search for and install Sandboxie.
  2. Uninstall any existing version of Blue Marble you currently have.
  3. Install Blue Marble with Sandboxie. This isolates the mod in a separate folder, in a "Sandbox."
  4. Copy the Blue Marble files you actually want to a separate directory.
  5. Archive the files for future use.
  6. Delete the Sandbox.
  7. Manually install your chosen Blue Marble files.

It's a bit of extra work, and I'm not responsible for what you do with this suggestion, but this is the only workaround I've been able to figure out to give me the control I want over the mod.

DL'ed earlier today (Greenwich +12) and tried installing. Wherever I put the folder, it doesn't change my graphics after doing the install and running BtS. I am updated to 3.19, only modifications are Continents and Islands, NewWorld and ScenarioWorld (EDIT: and PerfectWorld 2) community mapscripts. What appears to be the problem, and how do I get it working?

To clarify:

Is there an exact sequence of things you have to do, what is that sequence, and should I be restarting after the install?

I've noticed that with RevolutionDCM, Blue Marble textures are ignored unless I make a specific setting in the RevDCM config file to respect custom assets. Maybe you're encountering a similarly stubborn mod.

All my custom things are map scripts.

Can someone help me with installing Blue Marble? I've downloaded and installed the mod with the .exe but the game isn't loading with the Blue Marble textures. Is there something I am missing or do I need to install it with a different method?

That's the same problem I have, I think. I haven't had a reply yet (post 170, above) but hopefully someone will be along soon. :)

Yeah. No one seems to be answering. Sigh, that's the problem with a dead forum (Graphic's modpacks).

It's hardly dead, they're just all staring at Melcher's awesome LeaderHeads.

..okay, let's have a try: Take a look at your Civ4.ini (in My Documents\My Games\BtS), are the custom assets activated (can't be more precise, i'm at work).

I opened up CivilizationIV.ini (in MyDocuments\MyGames\BTS) and there isn't anything about custom assets. There is something about specifying a mods folder though.

hhmm...damn, i confused it with the mod ini file (which is a bit different).

...okay, can you see the blue marble files in your folders? No idea where exactly they should be, but it has to be somewhere in the My Games\BtS folder, a big bunch of .dds files.

Top Bottom