R.E.D. modpack

Yes, for now it seems to be working, at least as far as other smaller-scale mods go. Beats the CIV5PKG-file method that I was previously using. Thanks for the tip, bro. :)

Hi, I'm currently working on a mod adding Lydia to the game as a playable civilisation, but I cannot seem to give it Greek style units via RED. This is the code in my SQL file

Spoiler :

--==========================================================================================================================
-- Ethnic Units Support
--==========================================================================================================================
UPDATE Civilizations SET ArtStyleSuffix =
( CASE WHEN EXISTS(SELECT ArtStyleSuffix FROM Civilizations WHERE ArtStyleSuffix = '_GREECE')
THEN '_GREECE'
ELSE '_MED' END
) WHERE Type = 'CIVILIZATION_RLYDIA';

This code seems to work correctly for my other mods.

It's hard to say just based on that snippet, but it could be the order of activation of the mods (I'd suggest setting R.E.D. Modpack as a Reference in your mod's properties).

It's hard to say just based on that snippet, but it could be the order of activation of the mods (I'd suggest setting R.E.D. Modpack as a Reference in your mod's properties).

I think it is

I think it is
If you want further help, open a new thread in the main Creation & Customization subforum and attach your built mod, and I (and/or others) can help you troubleshoot.

Okay, here's a google drive download

I don't really want to create a new thread, considering the mod is basically done, and I want people to wait for the full release

@lordrj15: You need to change the order of your database updates. You have SQL/Lydia_RED.sql running OnModActivated > UpdateDatabase BEFORE the Civilization has even been added by XML/Lydia_Civilisation.xml.

@lordrj15: You need to change the order of your database updates. You have SQL/Lydia_RED.sql running OnModActivated > UpdateDatabase BEFORE the Civilization has even been added by XML/Lydia_Civilisation.xml.

I had no idea that was, a thing. (order of activation)

Thanks a bunch!

NOTICE
Change of Management
Hi, everyone!

So Gedemon poked his head in recently to give me the nod to take over updating the official version of R.E.D. Modpack for the time being. I'm going to be a little busy for the next couple of weeks, but in the meantime I'd like to revive the conversation from posts # 973-983, and make another call for suggestions for changes based on my unofficial version (DOWNLOAD HERE).

To the extent it helps, here is my spreadsheet of changed units (note it may have a few errors or omissions, but it's fairly close) [it's a bit easier to read if you download it and view it in Excel]. The key for the colored X's and highlights can be found in the upper right.

I just went through and highlighted all of the units that BrutalSamurai22 lists in his Ethnic Units mod to investigate the oft-stated claim that it has "more units."

Spoiler If you're not familiar with the Ethnic Units mod :
Ethnic Units is based on an earlier version of R.E.D. Modpack, and doesn't make any changes to scale or formation (note you can use R.E.D. and disable the scale and formation changes using my "Just Ethnic Diversity" modmod).

Some of the choices are different, but both mods are working with the same base of units made by the community, i.e., none of this would be possible without the hard work of the dedicated artists who create or adapt the models.

After Ethnic Units was forked, Gedemon made vast changes to the way units are added to R.E.D. (making it easier to make changes to the unit lists, and providing the ability to make regional defaults where a civ-specific unit isn't provided). However, this makes it difficult to compare the unit choices.

Ethnic Units hasn't been updated in nearly a year, so perhaps I can carry on the torch for his mod also.

Regarding the highlighting, the cells in green don't have a R.E.D. counterpart, the ones in yellow do, and the ones in red are unique units anyway, so they don't really matter (unless the user is using a mod that changes the uniques for that civ; R.E.D. also has some of these, but I didn't think it was worth counting).

For those who care about the count, here are some statistics:
Number of units applied (though R.E.D. does more sharing than E.U.):
E.U.: 545
R.E.D.: 766 810 and counting!

Number of models included (though many units contain multiple models):
E.U.: 619
R.E.D.: 818 966 and counting!

That being said, Ethnic Units does include quite a few units that R.E.D. doesn't, and some unit types that see some coverage in E.U. aren't included at all in R.E.D.

So, checking out what BrutalSamurai22 does with those units where there is green highlighting in my spreadsheet is the first order of business. For instance, I do quite like the ancient/medieval reskins for America (they have insignias of a white star on a blue field). [These have been added.]

What are ya'lls thoughts on following Ethnic Units' lead, and changing the anti-aircraft and anti-tank lines from artillery pieces into armored vehicles, enabling the use of some of the specialized tanks from danrell's WWII pack? There are some interesting models, but in the end I find that it just makes it hard to tell tanks from guns, so at the moment I'm leaning against it.

I would really like to see more support added for southeast Asian civs like Siam and Indonesia. Currently they seem to get a rather generic, chinese looking set. And while I'm no expert in southeast asian warfare, it doesn't seem very accurate.

That said, I don't think there are many unit skins for southeast asian civs, so I kindof understand why that support isn't there.

Just one of the cultural regions RED is lacking in support for :)

Your point is taken, but as you've surmised, there's not a lot I can do about that... My question is more "what have I missed" referring to existing units in the Units subforum/database/other CiV mods, though if someone has ideas about reskins (like the medieval Americans I mentioned in my last post) then I might be able to come up with something.

If only there was someone who could convert CIV units for R.E.D. I bet there's some good South East Asian units.

As for the Anti Tank guns, I think that they should be left as is. It doesn't really make sense to have 2 move tanks either.

EDIT: Holy crap, Indonesia could have its own set of units pretty much if we used this and this and this!

EDIT 2: Actually, all of this guy's stuff is fantastic, and would be great for R.E.D. Wow.

If only there was someone who could convert CIV units for R.E.D. I bet there's some good South East Asian units.

As for the Anti Tank guns, I think that they should be left as is. It doesn't really make sense to have 2 move tanks either.

EDIT: Holy crap, Indonesia could have its own set of units pretty much if we used this and this and this!

EDIT 2: Actually, all of this guy's stuff is fantastic, and would be great for R.E.D. Wow.

I imagine you could add support for southeast asian landpowers too like Siam, and the modded Lanna, Khmer, Vietnam etc..

Some of those units would work quite well for them, and his thread on Vietnamese units offers even more!

I don't get this, the mod seems to work as I get the ethnic units...but no new units to select? what is new on this unit wise

What are ya'lls thoughts on following Ethnic Units' lead, and changing the anti-aircraft and anti-tank lines from artillery pieces into armored vehicles, enabling the use of some of the specialized tanks from danrell's WWII pack? There are some interesting models, but in the end I find that it just makes it hard to tell tanks from guns, so at the moment I'm leaning against it.

In my opinion it would be more worthwhile using these units in R.E.D. Xtended and using them as a new type of unit like SP AA gun and tank destroyers.

Are there plans afoot to update R.E.D. Xtended as well after R.E.D.?

Any chance you will be updating this with more skins? I'd like to see bernie14's excellent napoleonic musketmen added for Russia, Prussia and Austria. Getting a little tired of seeing conquistadors whenever I play as Catherine....

Top Bottom