Unique Unit Elimination Thread

And the Panzer comes in 25th. :sniper:

Spoiler :
#25- The German Panzer

They Blitzed right into an ambush.

No need for this to become a lopsided fight.

The point is to find out what UU people think is the best, not for the "fight" to be close. There is absolutely no rationale for anyone to vote the jannisary down at this stage.

Anyway, why the landsknect hate? It's not the best, probably lower mid-tier, but they're definitely not the worst. Who hasn't been frustrated by fighting Germany and having to fend off a never-ending swarm of meatshields? They're pretty effective that way.

Anyway, why the landsknect hate? It's not the best, probably lower mid-tier, but they're definitely not the worst. Who hasn't been frustrated by fighting Germany and having to fend off a never-ending swarm of meatshields? They're pretty effective that way.

I think their main problem is they suffer from a slightly weak base unit, then their advantage doesn't persist on upgrade. (And their upgrades are expensive.)

Honestly, I'd have voted them out before Panzers (whose free promotion is damn useful and does persist on upgrade) - but after the stellar B-17's went out first, I'm not expecting insights from this poll.

why the landsknect hate?

no one likes guys in frilly clothes with spears

after the stellar B-17's went out first, I'm not expecting insights from this poll.

no one likes late game uus, which is understandable to me.
chariot archers are actually not that bad other than they die if sneezed upon, zeros on the other hand... well, honestly, who knows? with japan's amazing longsword replacement when does a game as oda last to the point of getting flight?

posthumous shout out to chariot archers:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• cas.jpg
    cas.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 421
I like late game UU's. But in the most cases the game is already dominated by a civ. I would push the most late game UU into middle tier. May Zero has null worth, but foreign legion I see as the last unit, which could have enough impact and have an amazing bonus.

I don't like the most early UU, many of them I see at the lower tier. They are often too fast obsolete and have hardly that advantages. The best time for UU i would settle from medieval until industrial age. Janissary will win ;)

As for me, I'm just not going to war that late in the game. Unless it's a dual map I just cannot bring myself to go for a domination victory. There's just no way. I'll take my entire continent, and if I'm feeling super ambitious I may take a civ or two on the other, but once I'm looking at another civ that has infantry as well (and a bunch of them), I just let out a labored sigh and say "screw it, I'll build the UN." I just don't want to slosh through another 4-5 civs, especially when at least two of them will be pretty even with me on military.

No bombers, no fighters, no panzers for me.

-Hoplite 5
-Landsknecht 6
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 17
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 21
-Mandekalu Cavalry 26
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 24
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 10
-Musketeer 16

What's with all the SotL hate? Are they really worse than Minutemen?

-Hoplite 5
-Landsknecht 6
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 17
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22 (+1)
-Mandekalu Cavalry 26
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22 (-2)
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 10
-Musketeer 16

-Hoplite 5
-Landsknecht 4
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 18
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22
-Mandekalu Cavalry 26
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 10
-Musketeer 16

As for me, I'm just not going to war that late in the game. Unless it's a dual map I just cannot bring myself to go for a domination victory. There's just no way. I'll take my entire continent, and if I'm feeling super ambitious I may take a civ or two on the other, but once I'm looking at another civ that has infantry as well (and a bunch of them), I just let out a labored sigh and say "screw it, I'll build the UN." I just don't want to slosh through another 4-5 civs, especially when at least two of them will be pretty even with me on military.

No bombers, no fighters, no panzers for me.

That's reasonable, different playstyle.

I'd rather not go to war at all until Industrial, but again, playstyle is subjective. But I DO put a lot of weight on upgrade effects to early units, too. And...

-Hoplite 5
-Landsknecht 4
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 18
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22
-Mandekalu Cavalry 27
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 8
-Musketeer 16

...Sipahi's suffer from a shift to "air" promotions on upgrading to Helicopters, often making their saved-up promotions useless towards getting the better air capabilities.

Edit: a bit early today, not 24 hours since my last post, but this is the one for today - not sure I'll be at the computer later.

-Hoplite 3 -2
-Landsknecht 4
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 18
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22
-Mandekalu Cavalry 26
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 9 +1
-Musketeer 16

-Hoplite 3 -2
-Landsknecht 4
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 11
-Companion cavalry 18
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22
-Mandekalu Cavalry 27
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 9
-Musketeer 16

Incorporated Zapper's. (And Zapper, you should have added 1 to Sipahi's putting them to 11, my nerf made them 9. Also - Sorry, partner, thumped your favorite dudes.)

...Sipahi's suffer from a shift to "air" promotions on upgrading to Helicopters, often making their saved-up promotions useless towards getting the better air capabilities.

that's surprising. fully upgraded lancers or sipahi should fit your playstyle, they're great for marathon games, you just have to level them enough to get blitz and march. the effects still work even though they're a different class. if you want to really draw it out, you can get open terrain 3, rough terrain 3, blitz, march, movement, bonus vs damaged as lancer, siege as anti tank gun, then +2 more movement for a godly gunship... 9 movement, +90% combat strength vs a damaged unit in any terrain, +25% vs city, blitz, march.

Going to use randall's list even though it needs corrected. Boo to losing a good industrial unit, lots of hate here for late UU's, which is silly as they should be compared on relative strength in the era, not in how early you can build them.

-Hoplite 3 -2
-Landsknecht 4
-Ballista 16
-Ship of the line 12 +1
-Companion cavalry 18
-Minutemen 13
-Camel archer 21
-War elephant 22
-Mandekalu Cavalry 27
-Mohawk Warrior 16
-Cossack 23
-Immortal 22
-Legion 24
-Foreign Legion 22
-Jaguar warrior 22
-Longbowman 28
-Naresuan elephant 21
-Chu-Ko-Nu 29
-Samurai 29
-Janissary 33
-Sipahi 7 -2
-Musketeer 16

Going to use randall's list even though it needs corrected. Boo to losing a good industrial unit, lots of hate here for late UU's, which is silly as they should be compared on relative strength in the era, not in how early you can build them.

Why should they be compared on that basis? They should be compared based on what you enjoy most - this is after all, not a ranking of the strongest UU, but rather the one most preferred. A late unit that comes in after the game is already won is completely pointless to me, strong or not.

Randall, you didn't change anything.

Zapper missed my +1 for Mandy's.

Vexing, the problem with the Sipahi's is the same as with Lancers. If I have a partially promoted Sipahi/Lancer, ie, with (say) two shock promotions, and I then upgrade it to a Helicopter, the shock promotions don't count towards getting the Helicopter's Logistics or Air Repair promotion. (Unless they changed it just last patch to switch ground unit promotions to air unit promotions, ie, "shock" Helicopter's "mobility" or "ambush". Which I haven't tested this game, but I don't think is the case.)

In other words, yes, if I've managed to get blitz or march, fine - but if I don't reach the advanced promotions before the upgrade (very common for me), I lose the ability to "build" on the promotions I've earned.

Make sense?

the age has influence ( depends on map size ) ,
their relative strength has influence,
how long can I use them,
any useful promotion,
how situational are they,
are important points for me.

And with Ship of the line britania rules the wave with their wooden wall. They are very strong compared to the normal version and can be used normally little bit longer, but they are rather situational. And naval warfare in the most games is meh .. you don't use that much industrial power for navies and if you play against UK you maybe build then a 3th or even a 4th ship. Ship of the line are nice, but sadly too less meaning imho and so I would put them at the lower tier ... ( except you play in a very very maritime world )

Why should they be compared on that basis? They should be compared based on what you enjoy most - this is after all, not a ranking of the strongest UU, but rather the one most preferred. A late unit that comes in after the game is already won is completely pointless to me, strong or not.

I don't get what you guys are talking about. What industrial unit did we lose? You mean quite a while ago?

Top Bottom