Demand option in diplomacy screen

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
This thing almost always never work!! You get negative diplo hits whether the demand is successful or not. Why not change "demand" to "request" when you have DoF with other civs???? They can request you but you can't request them? :\

This thing almost always never work!! You get negative diplo hits whether the demand is successful or not. Why not change "demand" to "request" when you have DoF with other civs???? They can request you but you can't request them? :\

It apparently works when they're "afraid" but that seems to be rare in my experiences. I agree demanding overall is pretty lacking in terms of usefulness. I'd also like to see the AI should demand stuff from you; it was always fun deciding whether to give into Shaka's demand or blow him off and see if you'd end up at war. And lastly, I agree on the "request" feature. Although there's at least now a benefit to agreeing to requests, it's still annoying, so why not let us do it?

I agree on the "request" feature. Although there's at least now a benefit to agreeing to requests, it's still annoying, so why not let us do it?

This has been bugging me for a while. Why can't I be a mooch too? It would balance the DoF. As it is I am far more often inclined to "go it alone", if only to avoid the inevitable begging chum.

I've only ever seen afraid on very low levels, and usually when you are very aggressive off the bat. I don't think I have eve seen demand be successful, even when done right after they get a DoW from another civ. And I have never seen anyone demand anything of me yet. As far as I can recall anyway.

I really hope they bring that back at some point.

you can successfully demand even when they're not afraid, you do need to have an overwhelming military force near their borders to do so. overall it's pretty pointless considering you can trade gpt for their gold before declaring war.

i agree that the friendship requests are pretty lame given that the player can't do the equivalent to the ai

you can successfully demand even when they're not afraid, you do need to have an overwhelming military force near their borders to do so. overall it's pretty pointless considering you can trade gpt for their gold before declaring war.

In my current game I had previously been at war with Songhai, and after thwarting his invasion force and taking Jenné had signed a peace treaty. We were, needless to say, not on good terms.

A while later Genghis declared. But as I was confronting his army, he retreated into Songhai land. My free Open Borders pass from Askia in his treaty had recently expired, so my army was stuck on his border. I demanded Open Borders from him, and he accepted. Our relations already dismal, I couldn't care less about the diplo hit.

One of the few times it has been useful, but then I rarely try it. I vaguely recall having previously got some gold off Darius just because I could :p

You can request things, you just have to click them and propose. I think it is supposed to work.

This has been bugging me for a while. Why can't I be a mooch too? It would balance the DoF. As it is I am far more often inclined to "go it alone", if only to avoid the inevitable begging chum.

I've only ever seen afraid on very low levels, and usually when you are very aggressive off the bat. I don't think I have eve seen demand be successful, even when done right after they get a DoW from another civ. And I have never seen anyone demand anything of me yet. As far as I can recall anyway.

I really hope they bring that back at some point.

A month ago or so I played an immortal pangea where egypt was "afraid" of me for a while, rightly so, since after waxing the persians my mohawk warriors mowed over egypt next!

I hate that side of diplomacy. The AI never seems to demand from you but always pleads. If you don't give in to their pleads, they hate you. If you ask for half of what you gave them back later, they laugh in your face. If you demand (which could mean request at friendly), they hate you and never, ever give in to demands. And they never demand from you either. It's just a broken system IMHO, and something so obvious as not being able to ask for favours should have been obvious to the devs right from the very start.

The demand option in general just needs to get removed - there is literally no point to it.

You can't demand from the AI, at least not unless you put a lot more effort into scaring them than what you would get out of the demand. The AI can demand absurd things from you and if you refuse they hate you for it; if you accept the only thing you're given is a lack of hatred. You essentially get to chose what you lose: Favor with the AI, or whatever they want. In either case, you just lose. In addition, I've only successfully demanded once, which as I recall was from a Civ I had just turned into a city-state :)mwaha:) the turn before; was on settler. I think I've used the demand option less than any other diplomatic option in the game.

The (demand,request) mechanic worked fine in civ4, why don't they do something similar? If it ain't broke...

Because in the different mechanics of Civ5, such mooching would give you even more of an advantage over the AI. Something has to give, diplomatically, to help balance the game.

This is hardly related, but today I told Monty not to settle near my borders (his settler was near a tile I was gunning for) and he moved his settler to the other side of the continent. I didn't think that actually ever worked.

Interesting point that last one by moystyrfurmer, didn't think that worked!

I agree Demand rarely works. If diplo is a 2 way process it seems unfairly balanced at the moment- but then again it's a very complex system to try and emulate.

In my experience it works exactly once on a civ that is afraid of you, and it will make the two of you enemies for life.
Just invade them and take their stuff.

The demand option in general just needs to get removed - there is literally no point to it.

I'd rather they keep it an fix it honestly.

And to civnoob13: you've hit the nail on the head. The AI never makes a clear demand, just a "request" that if refused leads to an incurable grudge. The AI is a passive-aggressive girlfriend!!

Yesterday I made a demand and it worked. Other civs are in awe of my military strength, so I thin that is the trigger.

request is when you go into the normal trade screen and leave your side blank

Yes I also thought this but never really tried it. It would be cool if it worked.
Also I guess they will only give you stuff if you are very weak compared to them, by which point I have normally rage quit anyway :)

But don't forget when you have a friend you can abuse them for top dollar on deals. I think it works quite well in that regard.

Top Bottom