Things you only just now realized

I was one turn from getting a great scientist naturally and then they gifted a (pretty useless late game) engineer and that pushed back the scientist :(

That's why I prefer social policies like the piety or the aesthetic social policy trees because gifted gps can often bring issues to places.

Well, where the heck were you two when I was playing that game?

Neither of those would have occurred to me either!

I just disbanded them for the meager gold...

It was meager, as in zero. You only get gold for units disbanded in your territory.

If it is any consolation, German recruited barbs on islands will have the embark ability.

I just realize you can name units...

I used to think it was an old man with a long beard as well :D

That's why I prefer social policies like the piety or the aesthetic social policy trees because gifted gps can often bring issues to places.

Not really, it was just unlucky. They have also gifted me a COMPLETELY useless Khan though when half the map wanted an (equally useless) Admiral. I don't know how that works though, I was allied with most CSs for the most part and they only gave me than Khan and a total of 2 engis.

I just learned that you have to burn your great writer the turn BEFORE the bonus from the worlds fair ends. I waited until it was no longer in effect and the drop off in culture bonus was pretty noticeable. I had a GA time out the same turn. I still got bookoo culture, but it wasn't as high as it could have been... #greed.

The Great General bonus extends to units 2 tiles away!?!?!?! I've been playing this game for 4 1/2 years and I always thought it was just the tile the GG is in and the surrounding 6 tiles. "2 tiles away" would mean the next 12 tiles as well. I'm such a dope.

I used to think it was an old man with a long beard as well :D

Not really, it was just unlucky. They have also gifted me a COMPLETELY useless Khan though when half the map wanted an (equally useless) Admiral. I don't know how that works though, I was allied with most CSs for the most part and they only gave me than Khan and a total of 2 engis.

You shouldn't be relying on the luck then.

Figured out a few games ago that you don't need to control all capital cities to win a domination game!

When I had 2 caps left to take (don't remember, let's say Athens and Rome), I was attacking one of them (Rome) and a CS I was allied with was hitting the city as well. Because of one of those situations where "the battle monitor shows you're going to take the city, but apparently you rolled snake eyes behind the scenes and just missed taking it" my allied CS took the capital between turns.

Annoying. So, I'll take the last capital (Athens), and then declare war on my city state ally to take Rome. Turns out there was no need to; as soon as I took Athens, the victory screen prompted.

Thing is, I'm not sure exactly how the game mechanics triggered victory. Possible things that happened were:

1.) I, along with City-States that were allied with me, controlled all capitals in the game, or-
2.) Rome had no cities left controlled by any player other than city states - it was a complete kill and I had none of their puppets and the remaining AI fragments had none of them either. The only city they originally settled and was still in the game was Rome itself, owned by a CS.

The actual rule for winning dom in civ V, I'm pretty sure is: no civs except you are in control of their original capital. So in a 3-player game if you take one players capital and they take the 3rd players capital you win controlling 2 capitals as you are the only one in control of your original capital. You don't have to own them all which is kinda weird.

The actual rule for winning dom in civ V, I'm pretty sure is: no civs except you are in control of their original capital.
That was the way it worked in Vanilla. To win Dom, you need every cap. Except that there is some exception for CS that own caps. The CS (in control of an AI cap) might need to be your ally.

ah, ok. It's rare enough I hadn't gotten to test--that's just what I'd heard :)
It is rare, but also a situation that can be manufactured (ally a CS near enemy capital, gift a melee unit of two if they need it, bring capital down to 0 and wait for them to take it.) If this works, it may change how I approach domination games since taking a capital triggers so much more warmongering points than other cities.

It is rare, but also a situation that can be manufactured (ally a CS near enemy capital, gift a melee unit of two if they need it, bring capital down to 0 and wait for them to take it.) If this works, it may change how I approach domination games since taking a capital triggers so much more warmongering points than other cities.

Wow in the billion and one games I've played I've never had a city-state take a capital, I thought there was some rule that they couldn't take a capital. Well that's one of the things I love about this game there is always some more to learn. I'm with you this may make me change my strategy too. Thanks for sharing this.

I don't think you actually require to own any capitals to get a domV. I think the rule to win domination is: no other major player should be in control of ANY original capital cities. Otherwise it would not work for OCC.

If this is the case then there is no importance if the CS that controls that last capital is allied with you or not. This can be tested if ShakaKhan still has a save from before conquering Athens, just declare war on the CS that controls Rome, and see what happens when Athens is taken.

I don't think you actually require to own any capitals to get a domV. I think the rule to win domination is: no other major player should be in control of ANY original capital cities. Otherwise it would not work for OCC.

If this is the case then there is no importance if the CS that controls that last capital is allied with you or not. This can be tested if ShakaKhan still has a save from before conquering Athens, just declare war on the CS that controls Rome, and see what happens when Athens is taken.
Again, that was the Vanilla rule - "the last civ to never have lost their original capital wins the game by domination."

The BNW changed the victory condition to, "One player needs to control all capitals." However, there's apparently some fine print - while playing an unmodded BNW game, I controlled all capitals except for one which was controlled by a CS. This triggered domination victory.

This can be tested if ShakaKhan still has a save from before conquering Athens, just declare war on the CS that controls Rome, and see what happens when Athens is taken.
Alas, I had to restart recently when I did a system restore on my machine and wiped out my records for 200+ deity games. back up to about 25

Again, that was the Vanilla rule - "the last civ to never have lost their original capital wins the game by domination."

The BNW changed the victory condition to, "One player needs to control all capitals." However, there's apparently some fine print - while playing an unmodded BNW game, I controlled all capitals except for one which was controlled by a CS. This triggered domination victory.

They are not the same:

"the last civ to never have lost their original capital wins the game by domination"

vs

"the rule to win domination is: no other major player should be in control of ANY original capital cities"

What I said is more or less the negation of the negation of "One player needs to control all capitals", so it should be the same. Of course this is without including city states, which would make sense considering the experience you had.

What would be interesting to know is what would happen if a CS takes the last capital, so let's say you have one capital left to conquer and a CS ally snipes it from you, would that trigger a DomV for you? I will test this out with IGE and get back with the results.

L.E. Tested this with IGE on a tiny map with 3 civs:
1st scenario: An ally city state conquers one capital, the next turn I conquer the other capital, but right before that I declare war on my CS ally. I got the Domination, so it doesn't matter if the cs controlling the last capital is your ally or not
2nd scenario: I conquer one capital, and leave the other capital with 0HP and an ally CS infantry next to it. I declare war on the CS, just to see what happens (apparently the CS is still at war with the last AI). On the CS turn it conquers the last capital, and this triggers the Domination screes, so you don't even have to be on your on turn to win domination.

What would be interesting to know is what would happen if a CS takes the last capital, so let's say you have one capital left to conquer and a CS ally snipes it from you, would that trigger a DomV for you? I will test this out with IGE and get back with the results.
As long as you have IGE handy, try allying with all CS's, and see if you can force all capitals (except yours, of course) to be conquered by CS units to see if this triggers domV. Note that at least one civ would need to have a city left; if all civs but you are exterminated, I know this will trigger a culture victory.

Top Bottom