Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mods

Ah. Well I made China prefer Confucianism (and Hiram's Ryukyu prefer Taoism) so my Koreans can be Muist!

I usually tried to avoid changing the Firaxis pre-sets for the leaders unless the pre-set was specifically ahistorical. So in cases like China following Doaism, Korea following Confucianism, etc. I let them be, while cases like Dido following Islam I changed. I also tried to keep diversity, in the case of Daoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, only one of the official civs preferred each and I didn't want to remove a preference to any (which is also why Bluetooth/Denmark got Norse even though its not wrong for either to follow Christianity).

Quite a few civs could prefer a few of the included religions depending on what era, leader, etc. you're looking at.

Fair enough. I may change it back later but this way for me I can have increased religious diversity and keep at least one set preference for the official religions.

Hey, Tomatekh, I wanted to ask your willingness to allow me to use the icons that you've made for your religions as a way to represent some of the groups in my cultural diversity mod. Leugi proposed the idea to use Font Icons instead of a second UA name as a way to represent these civs on the civ selection screen and I think its a great, much tidier, idea.

Hey, Tomatekh, I wanted to ask your willingness to allow me to use the icons that you've made for your religions as a way to represent some of the groups in my cultural diversity mod. Leugi proposed the idea to use Font Icons instead of a second UA name as a way to represent these civs on the civ selection screen and I think its a great, much tidier, idea.

It's no problem, and there's no need to even ask. Feel free to use stuff from any of my mods in whatever way you want.

A few of the icons I've been meaning to go back to and make nicer versions of, so forgive the uglier icons. I think there's also a few unused icons in the atlas as well.

Interestingly, I think I've discovered that the extent of Great Prophet's hardcodedness even applies to unique names. For Armenia, I'm setting it up so that the Mamikonian replaces both the Great General and the Great Prophet (as you might know). So, when the Mamikonian spawns as a GG (through combat, through Honour, etc.), it has its unique names, fine, but when it generates as a GP (through faith, Hagia Sophia, etc.), it will take a name from the Great Prophet's unique names. By default this is nothing, of course, but with your mod enabled, they take on your unique names. It's amusing, but a little annoying.

Another thing that I found was that it would forcibly give the unit the limited visibility penalty (I made sure it was removed as a free promotion from the database). I had to remove this manually whenever the unit was spawned. Its bemusing that Firaxis give modders such little support with religious units.

Still, it's no serious issue. I just thought it interesting enough find to share.

Interestingly, I think I've discovered that the extent of Great Prophet's hardcodedness even applies to unique names. For Armenia, I'm setting it up so that the Mamikonian replaces both the Great General and the Great Prophet (as you might know). So, when the Mamikonian spawns as a GG (through combat, through Honour, etc.), it has its unique names, fine, but when it generates as a GP (through faith, Hagia Sophia, etc.), it will take a name from the Great Prophet's unique names. By default this is nothing, of course, but with your mod enabled, they take on your unique names. It's amusing, but a little annoying.

Another thing that I found was that it would forcibly give the unit the limited visibility penalty (I made sure it was removed as a free promotion from the database). I had to remove this manually whenever the unit was spawned. Its bemusing that Firaxis give modders such little support with religious units.

Still, it's no serious issue. I just thought it interesting enough find to share.

Bleh, its ridiculous how hardcoded some things are in this game.

You can always manually erase and give a new name to the Unit with lua in game. That's what I did when my Harappan bullock cart could be upgraded to a Merchant from ruins (if you ever do something similar, a ruins to great person upgrade won't spawn with a name but as "Great Merchant" etc.) Just use unit.getname and unit.setname.

I also want a Santería and/or a Voodoo religions for obvious civs! Syncretism in South America is still very Catholic, but Haiti and Cuba developed their own religion in many ways, please do! :D

Voodoo is actually complete in the mod files already (both icon and civlopedia text), the entry is just commented out but it's a simple matter to activate.

I wasn't sure how much I wanted to differentiate things. If I keep the broad religious groups like I did for most of the religions, the various forms of Voodoo would properly be a subset of Volta-Niger religion which I do already represent with Yoruba religion (called Itan in the mod). Despite this, I have at various times considered adding back Voodoo to specifically represent African diaspora religion. I never got around to it because of time, being lazy, a mod never needed it, not completely decided to make the split, not sure if it should go in the mod proper or in a denomination pack (which I also seem to never get around to actual making :p), insert my usual excuses.

If I do add it to the main mod, it would be one religion to represent all of the similar African diaspora religions. If I do a denomination pack, then I would represent several of the more popular ones.

By the way, if anyone is curious about the distinctions:

Vodun proper is the religion of the Fon and Ewe people of West Africa. It's similar to the neighboring Yoruba religion and is itself actually very syncretic.

Haitian Vodou is the direct Christianized African diasporic expression of Vodun, or Fon/Ewe religion.

Louisiana Voodoo is Haitian Voodoo but more Christianized and also shows more syncreticism with other diasporic religions (besides Vodun) as well as influence from European magic traditions.

Hoodoo is Voodoo minus the religious aspects and further mixed with European Western Esoteric traditions (occultism, spiritualism, and Renaissance magic).

Santeria is the direct Christianized African diasporic expression of Ife/Itan, or Yoruba religion. (So using Itan from the mod to represent Santeria at the moment would actually be really accurate).

Palo is the direct Christianized African diasporic expression of Nzambi Mpungu, or Kongo religion.

Obeah is the direct Christianized African diasporic expression of Odinani, or Igbo religion.

Brazilian Candomble is a Christianized mixture of Yoruba religion and Allan Kardec Spiritism.

Of course, you can use some of the terms interchangeably to a degree, and today a lot of them have further mixed with each other.

Has anyone been having issues with the religion mods? Two people have recently commented on the workshop saying loading a save game that uses the mods messes up the city screen (will only display the Buddhist icon) and causes production to be stuck on a worker.

I haven't been able to replicate the bug myself. Anyone else encounter anything funny while loading saved games using either version of the mod?

Hey look, I actually managed to release more denomination packs!

Hindu Denominations (Historical Religions)
This mod works either stand-alone or as an add-on to my Historical Religions mods. If splits Hindu into five denominations: Vaishnavite, Shaivite, Shaktite, Smarta, Vedic Hinduism.

Buddhist Denominations (Historical Religions)
This mod works either stand-alone or as an add-on to my Historical Religions mods. If splits Buddhism into three denominations: Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana Buddhism.

Does Vedic replace Atakku?

Does Vedic replace Atakku?

If Akatt-u is in the game, Harappa will always prefer that.
If Vedic is in the game, and Akatu-u isn't, Harappa will prefer Vedic.
If neither are in the game, Harappa just chooses plain Hinduism.

Akkat-u is supposed to represent indigenous Harappan religion. Vedism was the first form of the religion of the invading Indo-Aryan people. After the Upanishads were written the Vedic religion turned into Hinduism. Elements from indigenous Harappan/Dravidian religion also combined with the Vedic religion, which eventually led to Buddhism and Jainism (around the same time as the Upanishads). Shaivite Hinduism also probably owes a great deal to Dravidian influences.

On that note, which of the civilizations would prefer Jainism? I have it in and since I feel weird not using a religion I have it set for modern India, but I'm curious as to who would prefer it the most?

On that note, which of the civilizations would prefer Jainism? I have it in and since I feel weird not using a religion I have it set for modern India, but I'm curious as to who would prefer it the most?

Kind of nobody. I mean, although anachronistic, it would make sense to set Harappa to Jain if I didn't have Akatt-u in the mod, as there's probably historical links between the Indus Valley and the development of Jainism. The Kharavela/Kalinga Empire would be the main civ to use Jainism, but there's no mod for them. The Maurya Empire would also make sense as Jain if Ashoka wasn't the leader. Ashoka is kind of so important to Buddhism, that having him prefer something else doesn't really make sense (even if a lot of the other Mauryan leaders were Jain).

Ah............maybe someday someone will make a mod of that empire.

Hey I'm using your Islamic denominations in my current game, and the Shi'ite logo isn't appearing when I hover my mouse over city screens (Logo should be before pressure number). Is this a known problem.

Top Bottom