[Speculation] Italian States/Papal States/Venice

I like the idea of cavalry that don't need horses. It would make them more unique and it would give me a reason to build cavalry. I think there are too many rifleman/musketman replacements already and a cavalry UU would be more interesting.

That reflects a lot of the thinking I had. My main concern was that they would upgrade to landships/tanks.

My thinking about Italy is as follows:

UA: Strong UA related to great works and possibly trade. Maybe great artists can be used multiple times? Maybe their great works are 50% or 100% more potent? Maybe something where great works are tied into being luxury resources? Lots of possibilities not touched by Brazil.

Then maybe two UU's. One from renaissance era (Genoese Xbox or Condottieri) and one from industrial (Berseglierri or Alpini).

I think an alpini that replaces artillery and move through mountain and gets double-movement on hills would be a very new and unique replacement.

As for colors, I gues nice, lush, verdant green with red border? Ethiopia and Aztecs use red and green, but they're more dark and washed-out shades.

Too bad they don't do gradients. I actually liked that faux image Snoop posted a page or two back.

Green&red or green&white might be the best colour choice for Italy.
Although I could see them being inverted Rome, golden field with purple symbol, if they appear in BNW. If Lorenzo is the leader they might also get red on gold, reflecting the colour of House Medici.

Green&red or green&white might be the best colour choice for Italy.
Although I could see them being inverted Rome, golden field with purple symbol, if they appear in BNW. If Lorenzo is the leader they might also get red on gold, reflecting the colour of House Medici.

I think staying away from Rome's colors would be best. China has green and white, and I guess they can't be inverted (since white has basicaly only one shade, that would make their terrain white on the mini-map, to which Greece already has a claim.

Red and gold is interesting. Don't think it's taken yet. Might be some fans of African civ's that would begrudge them that, though. Then again, they seem to berudge Italy its right to exist at all, so in for a penny...

I think staying away from Rome's colors would be best. China has green and white, and I guess they can't be inverted (since white has basicaly only one shade, that would make their terrain white on the mini-map, to which Greece already has a claim.

Red and gold is interesting. Don't think it's taken yet. Might be some fans of African civ's that would begrudge them that, though. Then again, they seem to berudge Italy its right to exist at all, so in for a penny...

As you said, some people will begrudge Italy simply for existing. So I don't see a problem in them having red on gold as their colour. I also never though of an African civ having those colours, I'd have thought they'd use more red-green-black shades.

Most African flags are some combo of red-green-black-gold. Ethiopia uses red and green, and Poland black and red. Anyway, small matter. I'm sure they'd do it justice.

Today it occurred to me that (since Firaxis seems very prone to it) a good female leader for an hypotetical italian civilization could be Matilde of Canossa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_of_Tuscany

Matilda's definitely a deserving leader... though she'd be a bit of a curveball nevertheless, though I suppose with a good number of the female leaders or potential female leaders, deserving or not, they'd be curveballs in some sense anyways.

Civilization is a game where you start at the ancient era, wearing wolf pelts and learning how a wheel works. Precious few civ's were built from a blueprint at this time, as they couldn't even write, much less draft a charter. They have to go through periods of being tribes, fiefdodms, city-states, commonweatlhs, and so forth until they eventually develop some kind of unified identity. Italy did this, but for whatever reason, some people begrudge Italy its pre-unification period as if this differentiates them from all the official civ's and disqualifies them from consideration.

I suppose a big part of that is that the game has so many Italian city-states. To me, that's an argument for their elevation, not disqualification.

City states in the game represent either minor states (Warsaw -> Poland, Lisbon -> Portugal, Copenhagen -> Denmark) or actual city states (Singapore, Florence, Vatican). There is no Italian city state in the game that represents Italy. They are all simply city states. Their appeal is the Machiavellian tactics you must use to control them. That's about as close as an Italian Renaissance experience as we're going to get I feel.

And the Ottomans are white and green too, no? :crazyeye: Inverted China colours would be very similiar.... and perhaps confusing, I think :)

I don't think any civ has a color scheme particularly close to the red and green on Italy's flag...

Azure and white would be glorious, mainly because Italian units would look like the Italian football(soccer for Americans) team in those colours.
I think those colours aren't used by any civ yet(Greece is more of a sky blue and America is dark blue)as well.

I would like to see light green and gold. It's a lot better and everyone can relate it to Italy. Bue and white? I would like to see that in portugal. But we will see. Both of these civs have no confirmation. Portugal is guaranteed and I think Italy is a good choice as there is the artwork system (Brazil appeared because of the tourism...). A Renaissance Period + Unification UU with florence as a capital and rome as 2nd city and with light green/gold will be awsom. Would make in my top 10.

((((((((((o))))))))))

Green and Gold could work as well, although I fear it might be too similar to India.
I agree that the best choice is to give them a strong culture UA related to the renaissance, an industrial era UU and I guess they can have a second medieval UU(Crossbow or Galleas replacement) or a UB(maybe a harbour replacement that gives extra commerce).

Top Bottom