New civ linked to new resource

Nah....that would be like the worst way to depict slavery in-game, and I don't think it would have given away any one civilization in particular. Also I think rubber is more associated with Congo rather than Kongo.

Moderator Action: Please remember that you are responsible for the posts you quote, as if you wrote them yourself.

Kongo and Rubber

Rubber is South American and was most heavily-exploited and cultivated in Brazil, an already-revealed civ.

Majapahit/Indonesia - Rice
(less and less convinced they'll make it everyday but they are the only civ i can speak about in-depth)

Rice is a staple in most of Asia (and in modern times the rest of the world), there's no way it would be considered strongly associated with any single civ. Indonesia is most associated with spices (hence the "Spice Islands"), which are already in the game. I don't see them adding, say, cardamom as a resource separate from the current cinnamon-icon spices.

Though if speculation about Vlad (while extremely unlikely) is correct, the resource could be garlic...

Slaves as a resource would make sense - the fact that it's been described as a resource doesn't necessarily imply a strategic or luxury resource, it may be a new mechanic (they've also described tourism as a resource, for instance).

Kongo, Congo, Bongo, w/e. Same difference.

Rubber is tied enough to that region. Imagine if Dennis had said rubber was in. With the SfA scenario, there would have been some discussion on the Kongo.

Also, slavery is already in the game; what do you think is happening when you capture a worker?

Rice wouldn't give away any new civs. It is, as already noted, a staple throughout Asia. It's eaten on a daily basis by several civs which are already in.

By the way, Portugal gained tremendous wealth connecting the so called Especiarias (don't know the apropriate term in English) to their trade routes. Among them was resources such as pepper, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, etc.

Spices. Already in the game, and not exclusively or even primarily associated with Portugal. Most of those come from India (already in) or Indonesia, and were sought after by all of Europe around that time.

Rice is a staple in most of Asia (and in modern times the rest of the world), there's no way it would be considered strongly associated with any single civ. Indonesia is most associated with spices (hence the "Spice Islands"), which are already in the game. I don't see them adding, say, cardamom as a resource separate from the current cinnamon-icon spices.

I agree, just throwing out ideas. But I would say that Indonesia is equally associated with rice AND spice islands in terms of reasons for why they thrived historically. It's just the Western world that knows the stories about the Spice Islands a lot more.

Kongo, Congo, Bongo, w/e. Same difference.

Rubber is tied enough to that region. Imagine if Dennis had said rubber was in. With the SfA scenario, there would have been some discussion on the Kongo.

Also, slavery is already in the game; what do you think is happening when you capture a worker?

Rubber is not obviously more associated with Kongo (or Congo) than Brazil, and since Brazil is confirmed the reveal of rubber as a resource would not necessarily hint at a different civ. Slaves are the resource most associated with Kongo.

And a lot of people seem confused about the 'Scramble for Africa'. This is the name of a defined period from around 1879-1914, long after Kongo had ceased to exist as anything but a name, and it was not in a region particularly characterised by conflict with Europeans at the time. Despite the name, the Scramble for Africa does not cover the entire period of European competition over Africa, or even most of it.

I suggested a few times in the past that a snow-based civ would become feasible if it had the ability to utilize more food resources in the snow and tundra, possibly inaccessible to others. Seal, walrus, and moose, for instance.

Top Bottom