Playing As Brazil

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ 5 Fans:

I know that Brazil has been discussed a lot so Mods...please move this if deemed necessary.

I love the culture and tourism side of the victory conditions. Trade routes..bribing CS with culture and getting your radar towers...hotels...airports...open borders etc.

All that said...How does Brazil's tourism bonus as their UA help early game...like from turn one to Modern Era. I compare it to America's B-52 ... it's so late game.

I read a whole lot about the forest and trees with Brazil early game but what does that have to do with a culture tourism win.

Or am I missing something huge that is very obvious.

Thanks

Brew God

They get a leg up in terms of how much pressure they bring in, although sure yes, they need to be in the Golden Age, a +16 Tourism is a lot more than +8.

Their Unique Improvement, which you get in Renaissance Era (or late), provides Culture to Jungle tiles. (which can stack up to a nice Cultural defense with the Sacred Paths or whatever the belief that gives Culture to jungle).

They really are a late-game civ, no doubt about it. At least Brazilwood Camps appear in the Renaissance. Get to them as fast as possible so you can start building them, as they are very effective. Before that, I advise you to, as far as possible, work and improve non-jungle tiles first. Try to leave the jungle around you untouched as much as possible.

The UA is more of a late-game bonus, but it's strong enough that that doesn't matter. Tourism itself is mostly a late-game mechanic. The nice thing is that it builds up from the early game and crescendos at the end. If you spent the whole game making great works, getting theming bonuses, digging up artifacts, and making landmarks, once you get to the Internet, hotels and airports, and the National Visitor Center, one single Carnival will net you a huge amount of tourism. Get Great Musicians and make them do concert tours on the last turn of that Carnival for massive damage tourism. Preferably on the territory of the guy with the most culture.

You're right, Brazil is a late-game civ.

You're not going to have the greatest early game, I don't know what difficulty you play on, but you will be bogged in the Jungle which will definetley slow down your expansion. On higher difficulties like Immortal or Deity you have to be aware of your neighbors, if you get a warmonger as your neighbor, keep him busy by paying him to attack others. It'll be worth it, you don't want Siege Towers or an Impi Carpet of Doom knocking at Rio's door.

Once you build your NC, and get Workshops up and running I'd suggest going for a few wonders like Chichen Itza, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, and the Louvre. The latter two require Aesthetics (advisable for a cultural victory anyway) and Exploration (not great, but can be good depending of the map type) Your production won't be great but you might be able to pick up a few out of that list depending on your difficulty, tech rate, and production. Try to get Machinery (ability to build Brazilwood Camps) and Acoustics (Musicians Guild, Sistine Chapel, and additional yield on Brazilwood Camps)

Try not to touch your jungle tiles that don't hold resources, it'll be worth it once you stack Brazilwood Camp and University you'll have an insane 2 Food, 2 Culture, 2 Gold, 2 Science tile that will really help you.

Then just go down the cultural route, spam Archaeologist for those artifacts, finishing Aesthetics, getting key wonders and watch the tourism stack up, also try to keep your empire happy for more golden ages or consider getting popping great artists for golden ages.

That's the best way I've played Brazil for a cultural win, it's definetley reliant on a lot of if's but I've made it work before.

Check out the Culture guide thread somewhere on here. I have managed to compile some sort of a strategy guide for Brazil that got me a Deity win, so it definitely should work in most other circumstances. Basically with a bad start you'll miss out on most Culture/Art wonders but that way you can use your excess Great Artists to generate more Golden Age turns. You should try and focus on winning World Fair and International Games and time that with National Visitor Center, Internet and all that while you're in a Golden Age to max out your tourism output in order to make as much Great Musicians in that short period. Also make sure before you start what you'd want to be a really long Carnival, you have that Freedom policy that makes Golden Ages longer. If at any point you got the Itza, that's even better.

Your Brazilwood Camps combined with the Golden Age should make you VERY rich and if you're nice to everyone, you can get loans which you should use to bribe CSs and/or other Civs to go kill each other.

It's a bit of a grind to survive long enough for all of that to kick in, but once it does, you can catch up with anyone.

Just finished a current game yesterday and looks like I will take the plunge and play as Brazil. Read through the Culture Tourism massive thread file above and will focus on the advice given. I have played on Prince now a few times and win by domination while just getting tired of not winning by CV. Will play Prince once or twice more and jump up a level.

Brew God

Top Bottom