Disapointed by Civ5 Deity

Rantamplanzzz

Chieftain
Hi all,

I'm about to qualify Civ 5 as the worst CIV ever made, so hope I'm wrong with what I'm going to write here, any corrections are welcome.

I recently bought civ 5 complete from steam. (thats the version I'm playing).

And after winning my first inmortal game (whcih was quite easy I have to say) I moved into Deity dificulty.

I choose to follow an agresive strategy so at turn 10 I declared war on denmark and captured his two workers.

As soon as I could, I declared war again with 2 spearmans, one warrior and 3 archers.

Sincerelly i was expecting to lose that war, I was just trying to learn how to do it better next time.

To my suprise I won, conquering 2 cities and razing another 2.

Before I was able to move back to my capital germany declared war on me, and i thougth: There it is, im done now.

Yet I kept playing to find how and why i was going to lose for being able to counter it on next game.

To my suprise: I won too. Just building a fortress and placing an archer behind it was enough for the AI to not knowing what to do with that and earn me enough time for gathering my forces.

After winning Germany (conquering another city) Portugal, Siam and another civ that I cant remember and have no clue where his terrotory is declared war on me.

20 turns has elapsed since then and still no enemy is at my gates, instead of that im getting ready to attack portugal disembarking at its capital.

My conslusions are:

AI is plain stupid: He has no clue how to war, ok, it follow some basic strategies like keeping his archers out of range of my infantry and trying to keep an archer in cityes, but other than that is stupid. It even makes his infantry run in front of my forces doing nothing.

The problem is with game rules for moving units. Since there is only one unit allowed per ex, creating bottlenecks is pretty easy and the AI has no idea how to deal with it, so it never positions correctly its forces.

This is particularly true for wars declared from distant enemies, I bet that i see no enemy force in my territory becouse they are unable to reach me do to having to cross terrain filled with neutral units which impede their movement.

Im going to give civ 5 a last opportunity to check If I'm wrong. also your comments are welcome.

But if I'm right Ill have to qualify this as the worst civ ever made.

You cant create a game with a basic feature that the AI don't know how to handle.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I have to agree that CivV AI is stupid. Can't wage a war, basically all it does is to throw its units toward its target. Can't really manage an empire, either, the difficulty comes entirely from amount of bonuses it gets.

CivV would be an excellent game if it had a better AI and diplomacy. The 1UPT and hex tiles offer some very interesting tactics compared to previous titles, and it seems to strike a good balance between complexity and fluidity of gameplay, although there are some balance issues (like tall vs. wide). Some mods help AI a bit, but it's still not good.

OP keep us posted. Early war with archer abuse is OK. But when the Deity AI gets Knights and Musketmen and their cities go aabove 120 strength because they tend to spam castles we can talk again.

Or when it turns out there was an AI huger like Korea or Persia who is a science/culture runaway and you're left with your spear chuckers.

Echoing what Myth and Legend said. Yeah, the AI is terrible at using terrain wisely or bypassing fortifications.

But when they're using Musketmen against your Composite Bowmen or Great War Bombers against your knights, you're toast. That's why the AI is dangerous -- it will bog you down and outtech you. Or even if you manage to keep that Civ occupied and maintain an even footing with it...another Civ far away, unburdened by war, will rocket ahead in science and then come steamroll you both.

And if you're not careful, this is what can easily happen to you:

http://imgur.com/a/O7tpP

Top Bottom