I loved Civ 4, will I like Civ 5?

Once you get used to 5 you will never go back to 4. The unit spamming stack of doom tactics are so mundane compared to the unit movement in 5.

Don't be so confident. Maybe it's just your impression.

I have been keep playing Civ5 for more than 2 years, trying to "get used" to it, and I think I have become good enough to enjoy it (I played between king and emperor). But in the end I simply realized that this wasn't my game, and I went back to Civ4.

And by the way... and always in MY opinion, I don't like 1UPT!!

I didn't loved Civ4, majorly due how culture territory behaved and exagerated war weariness in some circumtances (single player, but multi was ok), and i don't love Civ5 majorly due to global happiness and generally lack of rythm.

But, each time i try to get back to 4, I simply can't due to the big fat cross : it's not possible anymore :D, seeing this nice wheat in the corner i just can't stand it.

And I don't go back to 3 as it is pretty much outdated and anyway i've beaten it in Deity.

However, I wouldn't mind going back to 2, but unfortunatelly I can't seem to be able to find a windows 7 version working properly, last try was the ISO but windows 7 couldn't install it. :(

I didn't loved Civ4, majorly due how culture territory behaved and exagerated war weariness in some circumtances (single player, but multi was ok), and i don't love Civ5 majorly due to global happiness and generally lack of rythm.

But, each time i try to get back to 4, I simply can't due to the big fat cross : it's not possible anymore :D, seeing this nice wheat in the corner i just can't stand it.

I'd be very surprised if nobody ever modded these. Civ 4 was a modders paradise compared to Civ 5.

Ok, thanks guys. Things I liked about 4

- nimoy
- religion was interesting
- trade routes
- city micro
- big empires
- capitulating my foes

I just feel like something different so maybe if I go into V not expecting it to be like IV i will enjoy it.

If you thought Religion in 4 was "interesting," then you're in for a big surprise in 5!

In 4, Religion was just there sitting in the background not doing too much. In 5, it's much more involved (sometimes awesome, sometimes infuriating, but certainly more interesting than 4), and highly flexible in what you can do with it.

The Spain mechanic is a bit sink or swim dumb and El Dorado frankly should never have been included (or at least have an option not to roll it in map gen)

Find and settle El-Dorado first as Spain, never worry about culture for social policies + insta-buy whatever you want :D.

In 4, Religion was just there sitting in the background not doing too much. In 5, it's much more involved (sometimes awesome, sometimes infuriating, but certainly more interesting than 4), and highly flexible in what you can do with it.

I disagree - religion in Civ 4 may not have the "hey, you now get a bonus yield of X for every Y or city with Z population in it!", but the benefits were also flexible (Civics! Civics! Civics!) and fairly substantial.

Apostolic palace (free hammer per state religion building in each city) and the potential diplomatic consequences forces a player to be smarter about choosing state religions: you can found your own religion early and enjoy the bonuses the religious civics give you (along with free gold from your holy shrine), but potentially (and probably) being on poor terms with the rest of the world until you either convert to their religion, or spam missionaries (they cost hammers, so it is not a light investment when compounded with a substantial failure rate as well), or you could wait a few centuries and adopt another block's religion (usually Hindu or Buddhism, as the AI is quick to snag the early ones) to gain their friendship.

It may be different in Civ 5 (in terms of what material/yield bonuses you can get), but I'd argue that it is certainly less interactive with the other aspects of the game than the system in Civ 4.

...but the benefits were also flexible (Civics! Civics! Civics!) and fairly substantial.

I am surprised no has mentioned the civics vs SP before, but that debate is not much particular to religion.

I'd argue that it is certainly less interactive with the other aspects of the game than the system in Civ 4.

I don't follow this line of argument, since both games have similar missionaries and city conversion mechanics, and that is the limit of interaction that IV provides. If you are talking only about religion, I don't see how you could credibly argue with the assertion that V is much more layered than IV.

I don't follow this line of argument, since both games have similar missionaries and city conversion mechanics, and that is the limit of interaction that IV provides. If you are talking only about religion, I don't see how you could credibly argue with the assertion that V is much more layered than IV.

(Disclaimer: small wall of hastily written text). Also, I am going to assume that's a typo you wrote, as:

I am making the argument that religion Civ 4 is just as, if not more so, interactive with the other systems in the game than in Civ 5. These systems include, but are not limited to: diplomacy (big one), happiness, yields, and one's military (or the lack thereof), and are, broadly speaking, implemented by beliefs, the piety tree, and making the AI hate you more if you even dare try converting one of their cities, and the world congress world religion proposal in Civ 5, and civics, apostolic palace, and diplomatic benefits/penalties and interactions (i.e. Isabella demanding you convert to Hinduism....) in Civ 4.

The missionaries are anything but similar. City conversion mechanics are different enough that you cannot really lump the 2 together as "similar". And of course I am not only talking about religion in the strict sense of "does this city have a religion" or not - that would be entirely pointless, as the religion system is tied in different ways to the different systems of the game.

In Civ 5, missionaries are purchased (only) by faith, as opposed to Civ 4 which must be hard-built by hammers/production. This by itself forces a significant choice upon the player: "Can I afford to forgo the production of units/buildings for this missionary?". In Civ 5, this area of decision making has been stripped/watered down - the opportunity cost is far less punishing, as you can only purchase belief-specific buildings (or units, if you have Holy Warriors/Religious Fervor), or save up for a great prophet using faith.

You no longer need to care about whether you're going to be overrun by Barbarians or Shaka/Montezuma's army by your doorstep when deciding whether or not to invest hammers into your missionary, as Firaxis has kindly divorced the 2 altogether for you so you do not need to make that decision, you need only worry about whether/when you can afford the next cathedral/mosque/university/great prophet in the majority of games (exceptions would be Holy Warriors and Religous Fervor beliefs).

City conversion in Civ 5 depends on the conversion of citizens, with the city "following" the religion that has converted 50+1% of the citizens in the city, and you can purge religions with the use of Great Prophets and Inquisitors.

City conversion in Civ 4 however, has the "missionary fail" mechanic, which works by applying a %chance failure to the missionary (which is single use) if there is/are more than 1 religion already present in the city. One can have multiple religions in the city (which is great as the Free Religion civic is very powerful lategame), but can block the spread of non-state religion spread with the civic Theocracy.

There is no automatic spread beyond the automatic spreading of the first religion into a city: i.e. a city with Christianity already present will not convert or gain the religion Islam, even if you spam 10 cities next to it with the religion Islam present.

In Civ 5, the AI will only care about what you do with your religion if you even dare to convert a single city of theirs to your pagan beliefs. They'll hate you a bit more if you refuse to stop after asking. If you both have the same religion in the majority of your cities (and the AI has not yet founded a religion yet)? Congratulations, you have now a -5/-3 diplomatic bonus (negative modifiers = like you more, positive modifiers = hate you more, by the way in case you were wondering about the scale in Civ 5), which is about the same as accepting an embassy in your capital. And we all know how much that helps in getting the AI to like you.

In Civ 4, the AI has the potential to both like or hate you depending on your religious affiliation, with these bonuses/penalties accruing over time, so you cannot simply jump from religion to religion every time someone asks you to convert and keep the same diplo bonuses with your old friends. One thing to note here, is that the AI in Civ 4 is much, much more willing to declare war if they don't like you enough, and religion plays a very big part in defining the cliques present in the world (i.e. who is going to be willing to tech-trade/broker with you) - anyone remember Civ4's Isabella..?

And finally, as you mentioned before, we can start a whole new discussion on the concept, effects, and the gameplay decisions that go into the Social Policy Tree (Piety) and the Civics (religion), as well as the Apostolic Palace and the Shenanigans you can pull with it.

Ok, thanks guys. Things I liked about 4

- nimoy
- religion was interesting
- trade routes
- city micro
- big empires
- capitulating my foes

I just feel like something different so maybe if I go into V not expecting it to be like IV i will enjoy it.

Well I like both but I have a preference for 5. You have to remember that what's being said in this thread is very biased one way or the other.

Based on my opinion and your bullet points:
-No nimoy, still good quotes
-Religion is more interesting imo, less realistic but more proactive.
-Trade routes in civ5 are totally different. You have more control over it but they have different roles than civ4.
-There is city micro, less than 4. It's done differently but the game allows for a lot of micro and it's required to get better at the game.
-Civ5 sadly does not reward big empires. They are more or less on par with small empires but harder to manage due to the global happiness. Players have a tendency to shy away from them. Some even say you cannot do more than 4 cities in Civ5 but that's ridiculous. On normal size you'll go from 3 to 8 cities depending on your approach. The 8 cities player just has to make sure he can deal with the increased unhappiness and plan accordingly.
-No capitulation and no vassalage. If you let someone alive he may come back to kill you later :p

What I like about 5 that wasn't mentioned here:
-No more road spam looking ass ugly and stupid
-CS quests add a new dimension to the game.
-Culture game is interesting, civ4 culture just blows.
-I actually preffer global happiness to civ4 system. It makes looking for happiness a core mechanic and you'll have to often think for solutions to not have your empire crashing.
-Wars are more fun. AI kinda suck at it though
-Game is prettier and the production value is overall better (leaders, music, voices etc)
-Each civilization truly has unique traits (often unrelated thematically with their leader but with their civilization though)

What I miss from 4:
-Great persons were better designed in 4. Each one allowing to bulb some techs.
-Strategic ressources for wonders were a cool concept. Civ5 is a bit one dimensional there.
-While war is more fun to fight, it's more annoying to move armies
-Tech tree was more interesting
-More ways to get science

Whether you'll preffer one or the other is impossible to say. I liked 4, I even liked it more than the release of 5. But after 2 expansions I more fun with 5 even though I recognize 4 was a bigger challenge at the top difficulty.

Religion in Civ5 is much more nuanced than what you wrote here. Faith has more uses than just religious buildings. Completing various SP trees will allow you to buy related Great People at mid-end game. Some beliefs allow buying units using faith. Religion can be incredibly powerful if you got the right beliefs (my favorite is trifecta of Fertility Cult(+10% growth), Tithe (+1 gold per 4 followers of religion) and Religious community (+1% production per follower in city, up to +15%)), and due to various passive and active factors, require some thought and managing instead of "grab all religions you can while running Organized Religion then button up with Theocracy" of Civ4. I like the management, although it does get often annoying when AI sends its Great Prophets and you have no other choice but to counter with your own, using up the faith you had saved for other Great People.

Diplomacy in Civ5 is worse, I agree about that. It's not just religious part of it that's worse. Still, having same religion as other civilization can be beneficial, since Civ5 tends to gravitate toward conflict very quickly as nations compete for land and CS.

Once you get used to 5 you will never go back to 4. The unit spamming stack of doom tactics are so mundane compared to the unit movement in 5.

There are a number of aspects I liked better in 4 (mainly more land = more power) but I tried going back to 4 and I couldn't.

I really don't get how anyone can feel this way. Navigating the carpets of doom in 5 is extremely tedious. It's by far the single greatest turnoff to me about 5, knowing that eventually I spend 90% of my turn time micro managing unit movements. Moving units in 4 was extremely simple if you used production markers and moved stacks all at once.

I am going to assume that's a typo you wrote

No not a typo, but if you actually thought it was, you would not have bothered to reply!

I am making the argument that religion Civ 4 is just as, if not more so, interactive with the other systems in the game than in Civ 5. These systems include, but are not limited to: diplomacy (big one),

Religion is quite important to diplomacy in 5, maybe not as important as in 4, but it’s in the same ballpark.

happiness,

Religion is more important for happiness in 5 than 4, hands down.

Civ 5 adds faith as whole new yield. Civ 5 gets this one, and it’s not close at all.

and one's military (or the lack thereof),

Civ 5 has religious buffs to combat near cities (both offensive and defense), healing, and the faith-purchase of units. In the same ballpark, if not another advantage to 5.

and are, broadly speaking, implemented by beliefs, the piety tree, and making the AI hate you more if you even dare try converting one of their cities,

Again, 5 has all three of those.

and the world congress world religion proposal in Civ 5, and civics, apostolic palace, and diplomatic benefits/penalties and interactions (i.e. Isabella demanding you convert to Hinduism....) in Civ 4.

Okay, one you give to 5. As I argued before, diplomatic benefits/penalties are in the same ballpark. Civ 4 does have the convert to Hinduism mechanic, so that is something. I forget how the Apostolic palace works, but 5 has more religious World Wonders than 4.

Disclaimer: small wall of hastily written text.

Which kind of proves the point! It takes that much text to describe the subtle differences of the missionaries and city conversion mechanics.

I've played a ton of both Civ 4 and Civ 5, the civ series has long been a staple favorite of mine. I attribute it to Meier's philosophy of meaningful choices, which are generally avoided by other developers to limit or control complexity (and by extension development cost). Though they've always been good at this, Civ 5 is by a large margin the best example, being designed in such a way as to make every choice deeply significant whilst still maintaining numerous and complex branches of interconnected systems. They've effectively infused the game with a kind of depth you just don't see anywhere else. It's like the difference between a Dr.Seus rhyme and an artfully written poem dripping with style and substance.

Civ 5 on release was awful, I don't think many would debate that. It was a disillusioning experience. Many of us put it down until GoK came out, which made it playable. By the time Brave New World came around it had developed into one of the most elegantly designed games ever. I've been playing video games for nearly 30 years, I've over 300 games on Steam, a game box and jewel case collection weighing in at several hundred pounds. I've played everything. So by making this claim I am considering pretty much every not-terrible game released since the late 80's.

Civ5 while not perfect, is really in a class of its own now. While Civ4 was certainly great, it just doesn't really compare anymore in my opinion. Though perhaps, it should be noted that if you were into more of a roll-playing style, you may still prefer Civ4, 5 is a little more strict -leaning toward competitiveness and playing optimally. Other than that, aside from a few minor superficial mechanics lost or abstracted (and the ongoing debate over 1upt which frankly, is just trading a flawed system for another flawed system), there isn't much reason to pick 4 over 5. 5 is just woven together with much greater skill and competence.

As someone who always had a disdain for unit stacking, I came to love Civ5 after experiencing it with the expansions. Tackling an island based empire pre-flight now takes planning and careful maneuvering. Moving an army across a continent looks much better, and marching through an enemy's territory with infantry and artillery is fun. Ground wars in general are just so much more satisfying. Although this will vary on a person to person basis.

And if there's something from Civ4 that you liked that isn't in Civ5, you can likely mod it in. There are mods for health, Civ4 diplomacy options, and even a mod to put Nimoy's quotes back in the game.

And on the topic of mods, there's tons of them. From silly Civs like the Cthulhu civ to Civs that offer a different playstyle like the Pirate civ, to the mods that add some spice to the game (like the R.E.D. Modpack which adds tons of ethnic skins to units), to mods that tweak various things you want changed, or any historical civ and leader that has ever existed.

I really, really want to like Civ4, but it's just not clicking with me. Then whenever I hear complaints about Civ5 I often wind up thinking "that sounds interesting".

So I'm hoping I'll wind up loving 5 once I finally get to play it. The expanded religious mechanics alone have me fired up.

And on the topic of mods, there's tons of them. From silly Civs like the Cthulhu civ to Civs that offer a different playstyle like the Pirate civ, to the mods that add some spice to the game (like the R.E.D. Modpack which adds tons of ethnic skins to units), to mods that tweak various things you want changed, or any historical civ and leader that has ever existed.

This is a big thing that people seem to wrongfully assume about CiV : somehow there's this idea that thre are no good mods for it... what ?

There might not be big total conversion mods (well actually there's Anno Domini though i haven't tried it) on the level of RFC, but there are plenty of great mods around : Events & Decisions, Cultural Diversity, Piety and Prestige, countless additional civs (I currently have about 70 enabled) and a bunch of excellent "quality of life" ones, especially Enhanced User Interface and InfoAddict.

Top Bottom