TnL get your facts straight (chart included)

I tried Civ4 on my laptop, and got the black terrain bug as described elsewhere. I think my video card doesn't support T&L - it's a SIS M650, set up for 64 MB of video RAM (and 256 MB of texture buffer). But given as the game plays somewhat, and my computer is otherwise well in excess of the minimum specifications, I suspect the game would play (if slowly) with software T&L. (And it's not like this is a RTS, so the speed isn't as much of an issue.)

Maybe Firaxis could add software T&L as part of the next patch, to be used as a last-ditch option if hardware T&L fails, given how many people are having problems with the hardware T&L?

Winged Cat said:
I tried Civ4 on my laptop, and got the black terrain bug as described elsewhere. I think my video card doesn't support T&L - it's a SIS M650, set up for 64 MB of video RAM (and 256 MB of texture buffer). But given as the game plays somewhat, and my computer is otherwise well in excess of the minimum specifications, I suspect the game would play (if slowly) with software T&L. (And it's not like this is a RTS, so the speed isn't as much of an issue.)

Maybe Firaxis could add software T&L as part of the next patch, to be used as a last-ditch option if hardware T&L fails, given how many people are having problems with the hardware T&L?

Winged cat I am in the exact same boat and have the same graphics chip in my laptop. If you ever find a way to get software TNL or another way to rid the black terrain, would you please post or PM me....the dust on my civ4 game is giving me asthma!

I'm looking, I'm looking! But, seriously, this is something Firaxis should fix - and it's not like software TnL is that hard to add as a library for users to turn on or off (for anyone, not just SIS, who's getting the black terrain bug), is it?

Does someone have a link to a thread that can turn off the message about minimum requirements.

I am convinced my machine will run the wonder movies but it won't stay on HIGH settings.

I thought I read somewhere where that can be controlled.

My thought process is to disable that mesasge and any reset of values.

Turn everything to max my box can take.

Currently, I don't get the little Nimoy talks or any wonder movies etc.

thanks

I tried that fix. No luck so far. It doesn't appear to be a memory issue, and it's certainly not CTD. Thanks, though.

phybre said:
To simplify the chart somewhat:

1. Every GeForce ever made supports hardware T&L.
2. Every Radeon ever made except the 7000 (aka Radeon VE) supports hardware T&L.

3. Most of the chart doesn't really matter at all, since you shouldn't use anything older than a [Radeon 9700 / GeForce FX] to play this game (both late 2002). No cards prior to these support DirectX 9. Every ATI and NVIDIA card made after these supports hardware T&L.

I am considering purchsing Radeon 9600se, about $50 delivered. Seems to meet all the required specs so why would it not run this game?

http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=VICL9600SE-GED

128MG, DirectX9.0 support and shaders.

I don't want to spend $50 and it not run Civ IV properly

problem is in that "SE" badge that means it is SEverely castrated, as the memory has 1/2 of bandwidth of the normal version. If you can, find the 9600 pro.

So ... I think I have this figured out.

But I look at the list, and see the Radeon 9250 is listed as better than the nVidia FX5500. (These are the two I'm considering, because they're within my budget for a 128-256MB card.) But the 9250 only supports pixel shader 1.3 and the FX5500 supports 2.0. Isn't a 2.0 version better than 1.3 version? ... does the 9250's better performance have to do with the thing I read about where using pixel shader 2.0 with the FX5500 really stresses the card's processor??

currently I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000 with:

512MB RAM
P4 2.1
intel extreme graphics2 integrated graphics

It works, but while I don't know the actual frame rate, I know it goes slower than it should, and the movies (which I don't watch anyway) are often scrambled.

schnizm said:
I had no problems playing doom3 in low details with XP1700+/GeForce3.
Civ4 cant seriously have higher hardware requirements...

I guess there will be a patch for graphic bugs like the black terrain and such.

And let's not forget games like neverwinter nights and the unreal tournament series that run fine on my GF4 MX4000 128MB

patch 1.52 fixes a glearingly stupid bit of design that had non visible units in memory.

Kotan said:
I am considering purchsing Radeon 9600se, about $50 delivered. Seems to meet all the required specs so why would it not run this gam

Because running this game successfully seems to have as much to do with total random luck as it does with anything related to your system.

It constantly crashes to desktop and blue screens on me, and I'm running on:

GeForce 6800 Ultra
1GB Dual Channel Corsair XMS (2-2-2-5) RAM
Athlon 64 3500+

Buying new hardware to try to run this game is like buying a ferarri to drive down a dirt road.

iSkratch said:
Athlon 64 3500+

Buying new hardware to try to run this game is like buying a ferarri to drive down a dirt road.

You have a 64bit processor. Maybe this game doesn't do that well in a 64bit operating system.

All right, so i installed civ 4 and the 1.52 patch. When i run the game, it works for about ten seconds then temporaliy freezes pops up with an error message: "Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please reboot to restore full system functionality." After that it closes civ and goes to the desktop, and the graphics are all distorted. After i restart everything is back to normal. Reckon this is a video card issue?

I have a gateway, 2.6 GHz pentium 4 , 504 mb RAM, intel 82845

Okay, this is probably very wishful, but has the 1.52 patch changed anything with regard to T&L? Specifically, my laptop has an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics card which does not have hardware T&L.

Will I be able to play it, or should I just start to cry :cry:

Thanks

Low-end (basic to acceptable- all have shader support) Radeon 9200SE- Radeon 200M - GF 5200FXSE – GF 5200FX- GF5500FX- Radeon 300M - GF 6200/6200Turbo[QUOTE said:
So if I have one of these cards, will I be able to run Civ4, and how well will it run? What potential problems could I have with one of these cards?

Low-end (basic to acceptable- all have shader support) Radeon 9200SE- Radeon 200M - GF 5200FXSE – GF 5200FX- GF5500FX- Radeon 300M - GF 6200/6200Turbo[/QUOTE said:
So if I have one of these, I'll be able to run Civ4? And if so, what potential problems could result from having a low end card?

P.S. Sorry about the double post, I messed up.

Top Bottom