Support Section on Official Civ4 Site & Patch Download

Hi Ori,

This is the cd version of the game. In the patch download section, a few other people also experienced the same problem but I did not see an answer to help solve there query there.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9800&page=2

Someone did mention that it could be that the install path on the installer could be different? If so, where should I place my BTS folder? Right now my BTS folder is auto-placed through installation.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Ori,

I thought BTS already come with patch 3.13, since when I click on 'about this build' in 'advanced' start up menu, it says Civ Verson: 3.13, Save Version 3.01

Maybe I should patch it again just to see if it works out

Thanks

Hi Ori,

Here is the error for BTS patches. Same error occurs when I tried 3.13

patcherror.png

Patching was never a problem for my Civ4 Vanilla

FYI, my BTS is auto installed in this directory

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword

Thanks!

read through several threads on these forums, and the latest problems in this one (C-Kompii) seem closest to my problems, though not quite...

I recently re-installed my retail copy of Civ IV (purchased way back in 05...or whenever release date happened) to get the old fix in ;)

then updated to 1.74--hadn't done that before. encountered the DX9.0c problem. fixed that, then moved along, all is well.....

wanted to install a mod for a Latvian civ that I found on these pages. after much consternation and unhelpful suggestions from the mod creator (via his various creation threads), I came to realize that the links took me to a BtS mod forum, so never realized from teh beginning that this will likely only work with BtS. ...AhHA! so, I purchase BtS via DOWNLOAD from Gamestop, today, after having played my semi-modded, updated 1.74 retail Civ4 for ~2 weeks. (XP pro, SP2, + several win updates here and there--no full SP3 due to borked audio drivers conflicting with my Audigy 4, just didn't want to tinker)

so, I downloaded the Gamestop BtS file, tried to install the file, and ......NOTHING. Installshield popped up (small icon window), click on first "Next" button to begin install, then it quits.
disappears.
nothing

can't even install.
no error messages, nothing.
just gives up with no reason.

I've yet to find this specific problem across the wide internets, so was hoping you guys would have a better suggestion that all those that I have currently tried.
I've also uninstalled, cleaned out registry of all firaxis-related files, then fresh-install from discs (Civ IV Vanilla), then tried the BtS download file--nothing.

Cliffs:
1: Civ IV retail Vanilla. clean install
2: BtS download file from Gamestop--won't even initiate installshield; no error, nothing
3: updated to 1.74, fixed DirectX9.0c, still nothing. tried BtS on Vanilla, still nothing.
4: No Warlords (this necessary?)
5: Gamestop does not offer patch for BtS--only Civ 4, which claims to be ONLY compatible with their downloaded copy (mine is retail, so I've only touched the Civ 4 1.74 patch from official sites) Not sure if I need their Civ 4 update for their BtS as it doesn't make sense...in my mind.

...6: Halp? and thanks in advance!

Ori,

I just had to install everything (Civ4 and BTS) again after my windows broke up. My #2Cd from my original Civ4 was damaged so I decided to buy a new downloadable copy of Civ4 from Gamersgate.com

I have seen the following problem posted in the thread but no clues are given on how to solve it, maybe you have an idea.

Basically, the 1.74 patch is not installing and the following error appears: "Cannot locate previous version of Civilization 4". I have tried with the patch I downloaded from CFC and also tried updating from within the Civ4 program with the same result. Civ4 does work allright though. I have the same problems if I decide to install BTS directly, it is unable to update the 1.74 patch when installing BTS.

Some data:
Civ4 was downloaded from Gamersgate.com
OS is XP
Cuurent Civ4 version is 1.61

Does this problem has something to do with the DirectX issues everybody seems to have? Any ideas of things I can try?

Thanks a lot!!

Thank you so much Ori!
I don't need to break my brains out any longer... its a such a drag to keep stuck in Vanilla Civ once you have experienced BTS. Looks like I have to talk to those guys at gamersgate.

Hi Ori,

My windows is XP
Yes, I do have Warlords, it came with the BTS expansion CD
Both my BTS & Civ4 are CD versions.

My guess is that BTS is not auto installed into the right folder that's why the BTS patches can't detect it?

Thanks!

follow this guide:

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

I have Civ 4 plus Warlords & BTS & I have played all the 3 on my computer. For reasons not worth getting into, I lost my Windows partition & I had to reformat my HD.

Civ 4 & BTS were both purchased from D2D & Warlords was a CD purchase. After reformatting, I loaded Civ 4 & ran the latest patch - no problems. I then tried to load Warlords and got the message, "There is a newer version of Civ 4 available (not true!)" and that it will load the patch. When trying to load the patch I get "The setup has detected no version of Civ 4 is installed (again - not true). The update requires that a previous version of the application be installed." Then, "The patch failed to install. Installation aborted."

I've tried various sequences. I downloaded the the latest 1.74 version (rather than an older version & patching up) then tried to install Warlords - same final outcome with the same messages. I tried installing Warlords with Civ 4 V1.09 with no difference. I installed Civ 4 then BTS (BTS always installs successfully) then Warlords. Once again, I get the same messages.

I have installed and played all 3 versions of Civ 4 on this same computer before the Windows crash & burn. I'm using the same operating system (updated to SP3 from SP2 so slightly different), the same hardware, the same software. I have the latest DX drivers. Is there something I am failing to do that prohibits Warlords from installing?

Becoming a bit frustrated.:badcomp:

I had exactly the same problem as C-Kompii (at least was getting the same error messages as he posted). Here's what fixed it for me, you might want to try this if the same applies to you.

In-game updater seemed to never do anything -- no progress bar or messages, so I quickly gave up on that. Downloaded the patch for manual installation to BTS 3.17 as suggested. However when running that .exe patch file, it gave the messages that C-Kompii posted about "previous version not installed", blah blah blah. (I have Civ Complete with Civ4, Warlords, and BTS installed and they all run fine, so obviously the installer was having problems.)

Also my BTS version screenshot under "About" looks exactly the same as C-Kompii.

So I decided to try the uninstall / reinstall detailed procedure that Ori posted a few posts above (some notes and issues about that below procedure) and reinstalled the game.

The one thing I did differently on this install compared the one I had just uninstalled was, I left the default path for installation nominated by the installer alone, rather than specifying a different installation location (I have my disk divided into several partitions with a logical D: drive as "Games" and usually install games there, but this time just let it install to C: drive under \Program Files as default).

After that installation, running the BTS 3.17 patch worked flawlessly --- no more "previous version not installed" nonsense. Looks to me like the patch installer is too dumb to look for the game installed in locations other than the default path that the installer chooses.

So C-Kompii, if you have installed the game to some path other than the default on under "Program Files", you might try reinstalling to there, and have better luck with getting the 3.17 patch to install --- worked for me at least.

Ori, a few notes about your procedure (and first, thanks very much for all your detailed support!):

>> Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Civ4

Doesn't appear to be applicable to Civ Complete === I have only one "item" in Add / Remove Programs in control panel, not 3 separate ones for BTS, Warlords and vanilla. So not possible to remove them individually in that order.

Manually deleted all the stuff you listed, when it existed (seemed in my case that the BTS and Warlords folders were still present to be deleted, but the vanilla Civ4 ones already gone. Also the Installshield folders you listed were all completely gone, nothing to delete.)

Then as for the reinstallation you wrote:

>> Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
>> Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
>> Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.17 (download it fresh from here).

Was not possible to install the games individually and patch them before installing the next game like this with Civ Complete --- there is no option to install only Civ4. The installer automatically installs all 3 at the same time, and the ONLY option in the "Custom" install option is the ability to set an installation path other than the default (which seems to be a bad idea, because as noted above, then the BTS 3.17 patch at least doesn't seem to be able to find the game to update it, and just aborts with the error message posted by C-Kompii.)

Finally you mentioned update Civ4 to 1.61 --- but after Civ Complete installer does the initial installation, it is already on 1.74 (according to "Advanced", "About This Version"). Similarly you mentioned to patch Warlords to 2.08, but it is already on 2.13 after initial installation. I assume neither of those could (or should) be "downgraded" to older levels.

Anyway to make a long story short, just reinstalling the game WITHOUT changing the default installation path that the Civ Complete installer wants to install to, then running the BTS 3.17 patch manually (not via the in-game installer) worked without any problems.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to CFC :band:

the reason I note 1.61 and 2.08 to install before BtS is installed is that the BtS installer does patch to 1.74 and 2.13 but (at least in the case of 1.74) sometimes fails to do so if the game is not patched to 1.61 before that. The problem there is that I have not yet found any clear reason for this - in most cases it is likely redundand...

Top Bottom