To those with d3dx9_32.dll problems

Try searching for d3dx9_ on your hard drive you should get a list of dll-files.
Take the one with the highest number in it like d3dx9_31.dll and make a copy of it in the same directory it is in. Then rename it to d3dx9_32.dll.
Then try to run the game. You use an older version of directx but i don't think that is a problem.
Let us know if it works

I got the same problem.
But when I did as you wrote it doesn't work anyway. Instead of starting whit the allready written error, it closes the startup whitout saying nothing

I got the same problem.
But when I did as you wrote it doesn't work anyway. Instead of starting whit the allready written error, it closes the startup whitout saying nothing

install DirectX don't bother with moving one file ;)

I am a newbie to the CIV world. I broke down today and purchased CIV IV and both expansions. I am a long time AOE player and really hope this game is as good as AOE.

Anyway, I had the DLL problem today and was really fustrated after a long history of 0 issues with AOE over the years.

Here is what worked for me;

I only share this with those that might be in the same boat as me to help.

What went wrong;
1) Installed Civ IV
2) Installed Patch 1.61
3) Installed Patch 1.74
4) Game gave me the DLL error

Went to this forum and read about the problem.

Made a decision to do the following which worked.

1. Installed CIV IV
2. Installed Patch 1.61
3. Installed Warlords
4. Installed 2.13 Patch for Warlords but, the game asked me to installed 1.74 first for CIV IV - OK. 2.13 patch installed after 1.74 was complete.
5. Installed BtS
6. Installed 3.13 Patch for BtS.
7. Checked each game - no problems!!

I did not try any of the games until 6 was complete. I used the Advanced - check for updates option each time. I purchased all three games at Best Buy.

During step 5. The game at least twice said it was looking for updated DirectX files.

I have Windows XP Profession, SP2.

Happy New Years to everyone!

Jason

Happy New Years to everyone!

Jason
To you as well and welcome to Civfanatics :band:

the reason this worked for you is that patches 1.74 and 2.13 depend on a new DirectX release. Beyond the Sword comes with both the patches AND the DirectX release while if you do not have Beyond the Sword and apply the patches you just get the error report without a direct mentioning that you need DirectX :)

The patch makes my PC think I have version 1.74 loaded. I cannot re-load version 1.61 unless I uninstall 1.61. I had trouble so I deleted every file my search could find for civ4, civilization, sid meier's, xfire. There is still a file somewhere that makes the PC think I have 1.74 loaded. Any idea what the file name would be? All I want to do is re-load version 1.61.

The patch makes my PC think I have version 1.74 loaded. I cannot re-load version 1.61 unless I uninstall 1.61. I had trouble so I deleted every file my search could find for civ4, civilization, sid meier's, xfire. There is still a file somewhere that makes the PC think I have 1.74 loaded. Any idea what the file name would be? All I want to do is re-load version 1.61.
Start -> Run -> regedit

Delete
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

Thanks, I did find the Firaxis files in Hkey_local_machine/software and deleted them. Unfortunately I still get the same msg when I try to re-install 1.61. The machine still sees version 1.74 somewhere.

Thanks for the help all of you.

Newtoo. Maby you'd read at least some of the posts here, maby you can help yourself?

hi guys,

just wanted to say (despite myself 'clogging' up this message board with useless info): thank all of you for your help with these problems. It is amazing that these issues can't be fixed easier and in a more organized way from firaxis. oh well. Tonight i go home to try to fix the dll problem (I have no internet at home - just moved to dublin). I'll let you know tomorrow if one, or a combination of a few pieces of advice worked! thanks and happy new year from ireland.

matt

A HUGE HEARTY-- thanks!.. i just got new Vista ultimate 32bt... couldn't get things working until I read this forum.. thanks you Civ Fanatics!

Hi all
Having read the thread, thanks to all for the info - still having probs. Have now re-installed CIV4 4 times, upgraded to 1.7.4 4 times, ensured the _32.dll file existed, and can still only load the game between 4 and 40 double clicks on the icon. The message I now get is:

AppName: civilization4.exe AppVer: 1.7.4.0 ModName: ~df394b.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0007865a

the further info list on this problem is huge and way too big to put here. Anyone else having this? Also game crashes for no particular reason, can't run movies properly.
I am running a Dell 4550 with NVidea GForce. Windows XP with service pack 2, 2.4GHz with 1G RAM.

Have recently cleaned my registry and optimised - before this, it would not run at all! This is driving me nuts! any suggestions?:confused:

Hi all

Quick thank you. Haven't been to the forum in ages, but when I wanted to crank up my copy or Warlords and couldn't, I knew this would be the place to go. Sure enough, problem diagnosed and solved in under five

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new to playing online. When i click multiplayer, LAN games my pc freezes.

Does anybody know why this keeps happening?

Many thanks to all for this help. And kudos to CFC for being what it is!

I just got my new PC running and was excited to check out the changes to the FfH mod. I installed Civ4 then tried to patch it but got the D3DX9 error. I followed the link provided in the error message and wasted some 15 minutes at the official 2K site before realizing that 2K support really is a waste of time. Knowing how awesome CFC is I came here and within one minute I was reading this thread and on my way to resolution. Thanks for the help, and thanks to the Mod who stickied this thread!!

You guys do a great job. It's really nice when you have a problem to come to this site and see the problem listed and solved without having to ask. (Though it helps not to be the very first person with the problem!) :)

I second that opinion. Thanks guys.

To show my thanks, here's a dancing Banana - :banana:

Top Bottom