To those with d3dx9_32.dll problems

Or better yet, since it was that sticking update that killed me... can someone tell me how to uninstall this bugger so I can do a complete reinstall. It keeps hitting me with an error when I try...

Yeah I downloaded DirectX9c
Still no luck.
I honestly think I need to uninstall it and start over, but it will not let me.
Help!!!

Just Civ4.
I finally figured out a way around it, I just did a system restore, but a manual on how to do it in case I screw it up again would be nice.

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4:

Use Control panel to uninstall Civ4
If still present delete ...\prgram files\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\ manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}"
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Civ4, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here) then patch it to 1.74 (get it from here

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

DONE EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SUGESTED ON THIS FORUM SORTED OUT MOST PROBLEMS APART FROM WHEN I NOW GET TO THE GAME STARTING THE SCREEN FLASHES AND WONT LET ME GO ANY FURTHER. DONE THE d3dx9_32.dll problem ALSO THE Error Loading Shader Libraries probelm GOT PAST THESE TO A FLASHIN SCREEN I AM RUNNING VISTA AND IT WILL NOT LET ME INSTALL THE DXWEBSETUP. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP AS I AM ABOUT TO GIVE UP BUT DONT WANT TO

I looked over the first 3 pages then stopped so sorry if this has already been addressed.

I tried installing the file in the link but at the end of the installation I get an error:
"A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid."

Any ideas what I should do? In the meantime I will try other options.

EDIT*: No longer receive d3dx error, have moved on to INIT shader error. Same problem still exists as I wrote above.
EDIT**: Downloaded both d3dx9_31 and d3dx9_32 and put them in Civ 4 folder = Problem Solved.

when i download the directx, i get a message that wants to know what program wrote MSN9.downloadhost. i've got no clue, can anybody help?

The advice is still valid with Vista Ultimate SP1
Civ 4 and Warlords with patches were now fine.

Maybe an advise to share.
If you need to install Warlords, you need to open and use first Civ 4 ... and not directly continue to install directly Warlords.

does anyone know how to fix check xml and then cut off cant get passed the loading screen and i have a new computer a hp with vista can any1 help ?????????

Top Bottom