Ask Dennis Shirk about Civ V: Gods & Kings (submissions closed!)

Why did they finally decide that religion had a place in Civ 5, after taking it out (relative to Civ IV) because it would affect diplomacy negatively? (even further from the original design, now spies can actually inform you about things that you couldn't even know in Civ IV...)

Will the Piety SP tree be reworked to account for faith? And temples and monasteries? Religious wonders (Hagia Sophia, Sixtine Chapel, etc)?

How closely tied will religion and culture be, taking into account that up until now, religion was solely represented by culture?

From the pictures, we can see that the Colossus may be moved to Iron Working. Has the classical era received any kind of expansion?

(not exactly my reported questions, but close enough)

I asked the commonly asked, but still useful question: How did you go about deciding which Civs to add this time around?

Very useful since their approach seems to vary from game to game. For example, Civ3: Conquests approached this by choosing which scenarios they wanted and adding Civs later.

Please remember that in order for your questions to be considered, you must submit them by reporting the opening post of this thread. Some of you have forgotten to do that.

This is what I submitted

Gods & "Kings" implies that in addition to the advertised religion system, something related specifically to Kingship may also be included. The community has naturally been rife with speculation. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=454294)

What can you tell us about the choice of Kings in the title, instead of say Gods & Spies. Is this a yet un-revealed side of the XP or a clever marketing title for the expansion?

I asked if they had brought back the World Wonder and Victory movies that were brilliantly displayed in Civ IV.

what i reported:

Will it be sold at the same date in Europe than in the US?
How much of the ideas in the expansion "came from" fansites or users comments (or was it a "people find that part of the game doesn't work, is it possible to make it better?" way of working?)
Is there any regrets about some core gameplay design (Hexagonal tiles, 1 unit per tile and the carpet of doom, loss of city maintenance, road maintenance, social policies...)? -- maybe not a Gods and kings question
Is there a plan for a second extension as there was for Civ III and Civ IV?
Will Gandhi still be the cold-blood massmurderer we know since Civ I?
what did they wanted to do and couldn't with the extension?

I asked:

Since city-states are a main focus of change, should we expect any changes to the mechanics of the Diplomatic Victory as a result of the expansion?

I already asked a question, but if someone could also submit this one, I'd like an answer to it:

"It seems that since February of last year the direction of the game has shifted dramatically from when it was first released. Many of the design goals seem to have changed, especially the "mysterious diplomacy". Could you offer some insight as to why the game has done a 180 since release?"

MP comparability isn't an issue as you can already turn on/off each DLC civ individually.

anywhom... the prior DLC won't be part of the 29.99 cost of the expansion. (9 civs != new+DLC)

Well, the mere fact that are need to find players with same sets of DLCs, or just turn them off, makes it an issue. Much easier, if you have just 3 options: base game, 1st or 2nd expansion.

The more "exclusive" the content, or more different combinations available, the less useful for MP.

Well, the mere fact that are need to find players with same sets of DLCs, or just turn them off, makes it an issue. Much easier, if you have just 3 options: base game, 1st or 2nd expansion.

The more "exclusive" the content, or more different combinations available, the less useful for MP.

turning DLC on/off in MP is just an option to click (each individual). You can turn them on/off when people are in the lobby. So no, it's not an issue.

I already asked a question, but if someone could also submit this one, I'd like an answer to it:

"It seems that since February of last year the direction of the game has shifted dramatically from when it was first released. Many of the design goals seem to have changed, especially the "mysterious diplomacy". Could you offer some insight as to why the game has done a 180 since release?"

I don't think you are limited to one question.

I asked a similar question, but yours is way better worded than mine. :p

Will new Resources be added like those that are in IV? Crab, Clam, Rice, Bananas etc. If so will we be able to Trade them?

Will existing Wonders have updated features like the United Nations?

Here are my questions:

As you announced some civilization’s UA will change because of the new concepts, my question regarding this subject are, how many UA changed? The UA have changed concerning balancing issues or historical ones? Can you show an example of a UA changed?

With the introduction of new concepts (more hp to units, new WWI units, religion will matters most until renaissance) can we expect the time between eras to increase? I’m concern about this because on higher difficulties the begin eras last only 30 turns or less, with the mass spam from RA. This rise another question, have you significantly changed one more time the RA system?

If I’m not mistaken we already have 6 scenarios, can we expect to play these scenarios with the new system flavors? Imo play new world scenario with faith must bring a new all challenge for Spain, with the option to convert the new world civilization to the Spanish faith.

I asked about the Baroque interface, and whether it will be interchangeable between Art Deco via the options.

I didn't even notice that the interface was broken!

:lol:

My question was:

For me, I am a bit confused about how religions will work in the new game. Can you go into more detail about the individual religions and founding them?

I asked about multiplayers current lobbying systems getting an update. While i dont play multiplayer, im interested in it looking a little more "official", as i feel that would compel me to try it out.
Possibly a Ladder ranking system??? Pretty much just some more first party support is what i mean.:D

Top Bottom