Faerun

I've played for about 2 hours and not got very far (2-3 reboots).
So you had several game crashes?
I was wondering if there was any documentation?
Only what is in game. I'd rather invest what little time I have into the mod rather than websites/documents.

But noticed there was no heal on my very first unit (the starting melee unit which is given to the player at start).
Thanks for the report. I know exactly what the issue is.

.. if you would also update the Steam Workshop? If not, no problems.
Not for a while yet. I still have some changes, additions and polish before I put on Steam.

When I invade my enemies territory and his militia spawns, it is so powerful that the 1 militia can destroy my entire army single handed. ...
I think this was due to their promotion, which stacks with other similar promotions already in the game. It's a moot point as I'm removing militia from the mod; they are no longer necessary for AI as they can build unlimited low-level units.

I can't believe I've missed this work for so long. Do you plan to build a development team? I feel like CIV V BNW is what CIV V should have originally been (and the lack of religion/trade routes/other cool features is what turned me off).

Now that we have all of this, there is a distinct lack of good mods. Civ 4 was great in that regard.

Thank you so much for putting your time into this.

I don't know, I've just played a full game and I really love the balance and what you did with alignments. I think that this may be FFH2 for Civ V (well not as deep, we all know that it's almost impossible to build as awesome universe as Kael and the team did during their tabletop gaming, but still this feels amazing).

I think a better named thread and organized first post with more screenshots will invite much more players (and testers :p).

I have a few questions so far:
1) I've built the Blackstaff Tower, and it looks like I was able to teleport a unit which was next to another city, not the one with the tower.
2) Do you think that it would be a good idea to give strength to heroes with some techs, not just levels? AI seems to underlevel its heroes and it brings a lot of extra power to the player only.
3) Bison graphics are definitely corrupted. They look like a weird box.
4) Is a removal of Great Generals intentional? I was a bit disappointed when I got 200 XP to GG and did not receive one. With a limited amount of cities and no way to fight borders culturally like in Civ4, ability to expand your borders with GG would be really handy.
5) Is it intentional that I can make only 4 caravans? I have 6 trade routes possible but I cannot build any more caravans now that I have 4.
6) My hero Minsk for sure got an arcanist promotion "haste", I am pretty sure he is not a wizard (unless his hamster is a wizard :D).
7) It's quite weird that you can make multiple "Minsk" named heroes.
8) The Tower of Many Windows says that it makes ships faster, but does not say how much. It would be helpful.

I really love what I've seen so far. The combat balance and tech distribution seem to be very carefully planned.

Thank you FramedArchitect.

The only disagreement I have with you in the underestimation of your mod's followers :)

Nice, I see that you've updated the first post and the thread name! You are awesome!

By the way, you should probably mention that it's for BNW now in the thread name, heh.
Anyway, if you have time in the future to review my post and give some feedback I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S. By the way, thank you for the provided links. I reviewed the threads and it looks like two of them were never released, one is for Game of Thrones (and is not updated/fixed for a while) and only Ea is quite active and playable. And of course the heroes mod is just amazing, but it runs on top of "Vanilla" civ, with no fantasy civs/setting.

That makes your mod only the second after Ea for the amount of features. And I could argue that you can't compare them, because EA is very very different, you start as a tribe and pick a civ, then there's a new GP mechanic, leader mechanic and more. Which makes it amazing but way too different from CIV V experience, where yours is more like remake in Fantasy setting with a similar gameplay feel. So I really hope that you don't lose your inspiration and continue to work on this.

Will .7 be coming to steam in the near future or did the art assets supplemental download nix that?

Updated to BNW v.8, which requires Faerun Art Assets v.2. Art Assets will not be changing anytime soon, but there may be some smaller changes to v.8. I will post both mods on Steam for easier access later this week.

v.8 completes the spell and ability additions, consolidates the tech tree and makes some minor balance changes. Also provides a fix for wonder popup, special promotion distribution, and works out a few kinks in the spells.

Unique Hero abilities:
  • Artemis/Assassin -- Backstab
  • Srinshee -- Spellshift
  • Minsc -- Consult Boo
  • Uskevren -- Werewolf
  • Hasifir -- Sacrifice to Llolth
  • Jarlaxle -- Displacement
  • Sarevok -- Child of Bhaal
  • Falconhand -- Healing Potion
  • Yoshimo -- Place Trap
  • Blackstaff -- Teleportation Circle
  • Paladin -- Armor of Faith
  • Druid -- Spike Growth

I have a few questions so far:
1) I've built the Blackstaff Tower, and it looks like I was able to teleport a unit which was next to another city, not the one with the tower.
2) Do you think that it would be a good idea to give strength to heroes with some techs, not just levels? AI seems to underlevel its heroes and it brings a lot of extra power to the player only.
3) Bison graphics are definitely corrupted. They look like a weird box.
4) Is a removal of Great Generals intentional? I was a bit disappointed when I got 200 XP to GG and did not receive one. With a limited amount of cities and no way to fight borders culturally like in Civ4, ability to expand your borders with GG would be really handy.
5) Is it intentional that I can make only 4 caravans? I have 6 trade routes possible but I cannot build any more caravans now that I have 4.
6) My hero Minsk for sure got an arcanist promotion "haste", I am pretty sure he is not a wizard (unless his hamster is a wizard :D).
7) It's quite weird that you can make multiple "Minsk" named heroes.
8) The Tower of Many Windows says that it makes ships faster, but does not say how much. It would be helpful.

1.Blackstaff enables teleporting between all your cities, not just the wonder city and outliers.
2. The AI heroes get 1 XP per turn, even if they sit in their bases. So they do level. I think it's most noticeable in the mid game.
3. Yeah that was an issue with me overwriting the graphics files. There was no need as that stuff is included in BNW.
4. The GG buff is now attached to a Cleric spell. It's on a timer but much better benefit than GG.
5. No that was my mistake. Fixed now.
6. All the Arcanist spells are now castable, so there are no more of these "passive" spells.
7. I took out the redundant hero names.
8. Many of the buildings need revised help strings, and I may or may not get to that with this version. Most likely I will not be making any more changes to Faerun. If I ever do make another large update it will most likely be changes to terrains/resourcing, adding in my health system, and a major update for buildings.

Thanks for the reports!

Will .7 be coming to steam in the near future or did the art assets supplemental download nix that?

I'm very much hoping not to run into timeout issues in the upload to steam. I did manage to upload the much bigger Faerun Soundtrack v.3 to steam, so I think it will work.

Thank you for the update, I am looking forward to that!

P.S. Oh, is it in 8beta already? Downloading it now!

4. The GG buff is now attached to a Cleric spell. It's on a timer but much better benefit than GG.
What about fort building? That was the main reason why I craved for GGs. You could claim territory without building useless cities or still tiles from AI.

Apparently "restarting" the game does not spawn the illusions. It also started me with Drizzt Do'Urden. Not sure if it's easy to fix, just letting you know :).

Also for Breunor Battlehammer is still a replacement for fighter hero, so I assume you can make many of them?

I have a couple of suggestions about dwarves.

I've just played almost a full game with them, and have a couple of points to make. I hope this makes sense.

+2:c5gold: from mines is not too good because the mines are crap in the beginning of the game, so you work other tiles with food+production like camps, plantations, pastures etc. So you may work 1 or 2 mines, but those +2/+4 gold won't make a difference and barely count as a good trait. I would suggest to change it +1:c5food:/+1:c5gold: per mine. This way mines will not be self-sustainable, but it will make them more viable early game improvements (and what about underground mushroom farms and whatnot).

Another thing is constant regeneration. It's an OVERPOWERED part of already nice leader trait. It also does not fit dwarves that much, it would fit lizardmen or someone with regeneration.

Right now I advise to move the trait "always healing" to the undead civ. They currently have a very bad leader trait, so adding "always healing" ("endless march") would balance them out quite nicely and fit the theme of undead resurrecting from battelfield pretty well.

Also I feel like combining it "heals after combat victory" would be nice for the undead for the same reason, and give a different trait to Tethyr leader (since they are emerging after a civil war, having a trait which gives them strength in homeland and giving cities protection would make sense).

P.S. Sorry for maybe being a bit too nosy, but Wraith does not seem to have a "unit" entry in civilopedia, and since the last update there are multiple weird "wonder created" dummy units listed there.

Another thing is constant regeneration. It's an OVERPOWERED part of already nice leader trait. It also does not fit dwarves that much, it would fit lizardmen or someone with regeneration.

P.S. Sorry for maybe being a bit too nosy, but Wraith does not seem to have a "unit" entry in civilopedia, and since the last update there are multiple weird "wonder created" dummy units listed there.

There are two issues you're commenting on here. First the Dwarven race trait, which is available to any Leader that can upgrade to Dwarf units. I completely agree, the march promotion is bad in this mod's context. Healing is (mostly) reserved for clerics and druids. Initially I was only going to include Human, Dwarf and Elf races, and when I expanded the scope I did not go back and nerf the Dwarves. I will now.

The next issue is the Leader Traits. Most of them are not interesting, most are not game changing, most are relics of Civ Vanilla. They need work, but new traits for 25 Leaders is a pretty massive undertaking and not within the scope of this update. So they will remain as is for now.

Thanks for the report on the Pedia. I'll take a look.

Apparently "restarting" the game does not spawn the illusions. It also started me with Drizzt Do'Urden. Not sure if it's easy to fix, just letting you know :).

Also for Breunor Battlehammer is still a replacement for fighter hero, so I assume you can make many of them?

So, upon starting a new game with v.8 you received a Unique hero on turn 0? That's odd... Also not sure what you mean by "spawn illusions". Are you having trouble with one of the illusion school spells?

The civ unique heroes are "immortal" in the sense that you can always retrain them if they die, unlike Yoshimo, Drizzt and Fzoul. But they do restart at level 1 with no XP.

--EDIT I realized we were talking at cross purposes on the heroes issue. Due to a load order snafu, v.8 allowed training multiple copies of the same hero type, which was never intended or implemented. Things are back to normal now, where you can only have one copy of any hero type. I changed slightly the Special Uniques (Drizzt, etc); they can be resurrected, though there may only be one copy on map at any time.

The fallowing is a list of suggestion for the mod.

Big quest
I would like a big quest, event, cataclysm to take place. Something that shakes every civilization and only the strongest can survive.
Ala Master of Orion 2, or Falls from Heaven (great cataclysm, demons invading the world etc.).
D&D is always about heroes, party, adventures, quests, and so, there should be something big going on in the world of Faerun in this tone.
Units
  • Pikemen - I think there should be 3 types of infantry: slashing, bludgeoning and ''piking''.
    I know there is an upgrade that allows units to deal +50% damage to cavalry, but it applies to bludgeoning units and said unit is actually using pikes on screen.
    Delete this upgrade and create a new pikeman unit.
  • Throwers
    Human javelins thrower
    Dwarven axe thrower
    ''input race'' bomb/gaz throwers
    They got only 1 range instead of archers 2 range, they need to go melee but, they don't get counter attacked.
  • Crossbowmen
    They work the same way throwers but are not unlocked by the same technology and they need timbers.
    Crossbowmen needs to reload their crossbow.
  • Dwarven eagles
    I don't like the idea that Dwarven eagles is a racial mount.
    Eagles should not be using the ressource ''mount'', and should not be tied to the mount technologies.
    I still like it a lot, I think it adds a very welcome addition to the game in term of diversity, just that, it should not consumes mount ressources.
    I think it should be unlocked by a special dwarven building.
  • Mounts
    I find them very weak, but also easier to build than high tier infantry.
    So.
    I think they should be divided into two categories:
    - light cavalry, mostly use for recon, with native 4 move points
    - heavy cavalry, probably best ''melee unit'' but very expensive: mount + same resources as infantry.
    *and maybe javelins and bow cavalry, needs multiple technology to be unlocked, mounts + timber resources.
  • Siege weapons
    Catapult, trebuchet, ballista etc.
    With 2 to 3 or even 4 range.
    Cooldown to reload, only 1 move.
    You can capture them in melee.
    *we really need siege weapons
  • Heroes
    There are many things that I am not fond of with heroes:
    I think most heroes class should be recruitable as troopers: rangers, druids, paladins
    etc. sometimes with the proper belief.
    Those are D&D classes and it would make the mod better if they were just standard troops.
    For instance: Paladins should be same as heavy cavalry, with needs of mount + weapons. But have healing ability and maybe true sight.
    Heroes should be unique, but not bring any food or prod bonuses to a faction.
    Or, it would be a unique trait for 1 or 2 of them.
    Heroes should have more abilities at start and they should join only factions with the right alignment.
    Which means, when you start the game and have no belief, should be able to recruit any hero but the special one of your faction.

@Framedarchitect
About the 2-3 reboots I was mentioning, some were crashed, some were just my decision to check other civ.
But yes, I experience many crashes while playing Civ5 + your mod under Dx11 (or10?), now I am playing with Dx9, I've played your mod for 30 hours + and no crash.

The fallowing is a list of suggestion for the mod.
But yes, I experience many crashes while playing Civ5 + your mod under Dx11 (or10?), now I am playing with Dx9, I've played your mod for 30 hours + and no crash.

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't consider Faerun to be an RPG, just a reskin of Civ5. For new mechanics and such , this really won't be the mod for you. :/

On the units, I might do some minor balancing but things are set for now. I have thought about adding siege back into the game for years now, and always decide that for balance and fun the mod is better without. I think the spell-casting system more than compensates for lack of siege option. Side note, but the gnome upgrades are excellent for sieging. On the eagles, they don't require any resource, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

Thanks for the specific feedback on the crash issues.

BNW v.8 (no longer Beta) and Art Assets v.3 are now available.

The art assets had to change in order to add in all of c_note's wonderful new Leader art, but I really do not expect any changes there for a long time. If you have multiple copies of this mod in your MODs folder, delete them all then install v.8 fresh. Same with Art Assets.

It may be easier to sub the whole package, including the new version of the soundtrack, on Steam.

Have fun!
FA

Thanks for your answers Framed.

On the eagles, they don't require any resource, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting.
Oh great!
Well it was my asumption since it was a cavalry ugprad.
Does it means it refunds the mount used to create the cavalry unit?

I didn't unlock gnomes yet. :crazyeye:

So, upon starting a new game with v.8 you received a Unique hero on turn 0? That's odd... Also not sure what you mean by "spawn illusions". Are you having trouble with one of the illusion school spells?

The civ unique heroes are "immortal" in the sense that you can always retrain them if they die, unlike Yoshimo, Drizzt and Fzoul. But they do restart at level 1 with no XP.

--EDIT I realized we were talking at cross purposes on the heroes issue. Due to a load order snafu, v.8 allowed training multiple copies of the same hero type, which was never intended or implemented. Things are back to normal now, where you can only have one copy of any hero type. I changed slightly the Special Uniques (Drizzt, etc); they can be resurrected, though there may only be one copy on map at any time.

I was sleepy, sorry. It did not respawn "cults", not illusions. I just used a wrong word because I barely slept before typing that post.

But yes, if you select "Restart game" on the first turn, you are respawned with Drizzt and there are no notifications about cults being founded in city states. I was playing as Breunor.

P.S. Thank you very much for the update! Time for another game!

Top Bottom