A Civ of Ice and Fire Mod

Holy children of the forest the wildings! 50ish wilding surrounding Pentos the City-State!

Edit: 27 turns later, 3 Knights donated to Pentos, Pentos still alive!

Edit: Glitch; I dont know if this is a mod glitch, or a game glitch, but after the first two or three times I select any city state near or east of Oros/Valariya I can never select them again, and I dont see their names in the diplomatic overview.

Edit: Glitch; Make that unable to select ANY city state. And the whole diplomacy overview gets messed up.

EDIT: Glitch: I found a fix. Minimize and unminimize the civilizations thingy in the diplomatic overview. BUT one side effect, all those times you clicked a name in frustration? Well you get to close all those windows.

EDIT: Glitch: Its because of Valyria, Im pretty sure. Somehow its glitched to be a city state AND a civilization. You cant select it AT ALL even after the "fix."

EDIT: Second game final tally, Diplomatic victory at 302 turns as Nights Watch. 17 UN votes. Devoured Starks of Winterfell. Barbarians EVERYWHEREOMGTHEREWERESOMANY.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.7z
    2.2 MB · Views: 271
Holy children of the forest the wildings! 50ish wilding surrounding Pentos the City-State!

Edit: 27 turns later, 3 Knights donated to Pentos, Pentos still alive!

Edit: Glitch; I dont know if this is a mod glitch, or a game glitch, but after the first two or three times I select any city state near or east of Oros/Valariya I can never select them again, and I dont see their names in the diplomatic overview.

Edit: Glitch; Make that unable to select ANY city state. And the whole diplomacy overview gets messed up.

EDIT: Glitch: I found a fix. Minimize and unminimize the civilizations thingy in the diplomatic overview. BUT one side effect, all those times you clicked a name in frustration? Well you get to close all those windows.

EDIT: Glitch: Its because of Valyria, Im pretty sure. Somehow its glitched to be a city state AND a civilization. You cant select it AT ALL even after the "fix."

EDIT: Second game final tally, Diplomatic victory at 302 turns as Nights Watch. 17 UN votes. Devoured Starks of Winterfell. Barbarians EVERYWHEREOMGTHEREWERESOMANY.

Yeah, I need to fix Valyria. I was trying to make it a deserted city state, and though I know it didn't work I hadn't seen that glitch I just thought you couldn't talk to Valyria (and you shouldn't be able to, were you?). Anyway, on my fix list.

Hi;

I'm pretty new to this whole thing. New to Civilization and especially new to modding it. I'm not interested in making mods, but am VERY interesting in play testing this one. I love the GRRM books.

How can I get this installed since it doesn't appear to be in the Mod Browser? I see the other one in there, but not this one.

I also saw that the 2 authors have agreed to co-operate with the Ice and Fire mod which is great! Do i just stick with the version in the Mod browser and wait for and update?

thanks!
adam

How can I get this installed since it doesn't appear to be in the Mod Browser? I see the other one in there, but not this one.

Use the attached folder from the first post. ((1)Save "A Civ of Ice and Fire (v 2) in the mods folder from Civ; (2) copy "Westeros_and_Essos.Civ5Map" into your Civ 5 maps folder; (3) play!)

Btw - cool mod. Looking forward to seeing its progress!

Hi;

I'm pretty new to this whole thing. New to Civilization and especially new to modding it. I'm not interested in making mods, but am VERY interesting in play testing this one. I love the GRRM books.

I also saw that the 2 authors have agreed to co-operate with the Ice and Fire mod which is great! Do i just stick with the version in the Mod browser and wait for and update?

thanks!
adam

Yeah, as I said I have been having problems uploading to the network, I don't know why. If you go to the first posting on this thread you will find I uploaded a rar file. Download that file and extract the folder in there to: My Documents/My Games/ Sdi Meir's Civilization 5/MODS, then inside the civ of ice and fire folder you will find a map folder; copy the map in that folder to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meir's Civilization 5/Maps. Go into the game and enable the mod. Don't forget to follow the instructions posted earlier in this thread about changing the ini file so you can see the custom diplomacy screens, otherwise they will show up as blanked out screens. Have fun and let me know what you think.

I have the rar and had found the maps folder, but couldn't seem to locate the mods folder. The path you gave isn't a steam path...so maybe I was looking in the wrong place.. i was searching the steamapps folders for the mods.

The diplomacy screens is one of the main reasons I want to try this one. :) I don't care if they're just static 2D images either. :) I booted up the other Ice and Fire mod and thought it was pretty cool to start off in Riverrun which was located at the fork in the river just like in the book. Nice.

I'll try again by the weekend and let you know how it goes. Family duties keep me from playing this as game as much as I'd like plus I'm still trying to work through my second game as the mohawk nation. LIke I said, I'm new but am very interested in this mod.

I have the rar and had found the maps folder, but couldn't seem to locate the mods folder. The path you gave isn't a steam path...so maybe I was looking in the wrong place.. i was searching the steamapps folders for the mods.

The diplomacy screens is one of the main reasons I want to try this one. :) I don't care if they're just static 2D images either. :) I booted up the other Ice and Fire mod and thought it was pretty cool to start off in Riverrun which was located at the fork in the river just like in the book. Nice.

I'll try again by the weekend and let you know how it goes. Family duties keep me from playing this as game as much as I'd like plus I'm still trying to work through my second game as the mohawk nation. LIke I said, I'm new but am very interested in this mod.

Your My Games folder is under My Documents ;-)

interesting that it's not with the rest of the game in the steamapps folder.

Is there any way to 'move' where the mods are installed? Am i falsely believing that my 4GB steamapps folder does not contain Civ V? If not, then what the frick is taking up 4GB in there? I have nothing else installed through steam.

Space on my C: drive is limited. I like to store games and other such large things on other drives and leave my C: drive for more important things that require quicker access.

Thanks for the emails and the forum feedback guys. I want to add a civilization for the next release and we will try to address all bugs that have been brought to my attention.

What civ would you guys most like to see in the next release? I was thinking House Martell but...

@critchlopezHad the same problem, but after choosing quicksave once saving worked, odd...

Great mod, keep up the good work. I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you ment that she is hard to play but her unsullied are dirtcheap for me, a one round production. You can just pump these out and steamroll everything.

Ideas for the future, remove the higher level techs so the game keeps its medieval flavor and unit balancing probably.

Again, great mod!

I´ve played a few rounds with the other factions, the biggest problem seems to be that because every faction already holds a large territory (huge borders) the AI does not found new cities. They stay with their starting city, having trouble paying for their troops.

Either reduce/remove the borders or better put down the other cities for the scenario.

This is an excellent mod. The artwork is exceptional - especially how it melds very seemlessly with the Civ 5 "art deco" style and a lot of attention to detail. Really nicely done. Can you give us any teasers what might be included in the next update?

I have not tried the mod yet, but I will be shortly!
As a new civilization idea, what about BwB? They will have only one city, but be able to convert opponent soldiers to their own, or heal a lot faster. (Due to the Red Priest)
Or of course there are the typical ideas of the Martell or the Tyrell. Or even the Freys!

Also as an additional idea, even though it might not be practical, I think it would really give the game a ASOIAF feel. Each civ should have a great soldier, for example Brienne, Selmy Barristan, The Hound, Jaime, Mountain that Walks, Undead Cat, etc that each have a speciality and can only move, lets say, once every 5 turns. This will give an edge to each of the houses, as well as give the entire mod a more Ice and Fire feel.
(Also, to extend upon this, these special units can be 'captured' and be kept for ransom, thus expend the diplomacy aspect of the game!)

Just a few simple suggestions!

anything to do with these books i am a fan of, though i am a new civ player(played a little civ 4 thats it til civ 5 came).

just a few observations from the 'lore' perspective, before actually playing a full game, and some thoughts on what would be cool in an ASOIAF mod.

-Jon and Robb fighting each other for the throne makes no sense to me. It's hard to get over that one.
-Asha as one of the 6 playable? ..not buying it. Her dad put a crown on his head and said he was king of some rocks in the ocean. All they really ever did was harass a defenseless town or 2, and she isn't even their leader at any time in the books. Crows Eye is now, is he not? There are about 50 people I could think of more likely to end up on the throne.
-If Robb is still in in, Why not Renly. He came closer to the throne than any of them. He was literally walking to the throne to easily take it when he died around the same time as Robb, he had mega support and he was pretty cool
-Jon and Asha(to a lesser extent) might make sense after the next book, who knows, but not now.

-Not sure if its possible, but have 'goodie hut' type wandering 'mobs'. Characters that aren't really tied 100% to a house. Find them, they join you and give bonus to your unit or whatever.
Hound, Jaqen H'ghar, Brienne, Bronn, Beric/Thoros, Syrio, Tyrion

-As for what 'Civs' I would like to see, that could easily be seen going to war with anyone
-House Bolton, old and powerful and now that House Stark is all but gone.
-House Arryn with Peter Baelish because seems to be a future major player and littlefinger is awesome.

Anyway awesome work so far my goal now is to just see the entire map.

So I finally got a chance to try it out and I must say that it is great! Good job!!

One small recommendation, is it possible to customize the diplomacy text of the leaders?
So far I have noticed that they are all the defaults, and I think it would give the game a lot more charm if each leader talk and address you the fashion that they do in the books :)

So I finally got a chance to try it out and I must say that it is great! Good job!!

One small recommendation, is it possible to customize the diplomacy text of the leaders?
So far I have noticed that they are all the defaults, and I think it would give the game a lot more charm if each leader talk and address you the fashion that they do in the books :)

It is possible. But, is not high on my list of priorities.

As for Asha I wouldn't count her out yet.

Top Bottom