Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

Hey thanks Nutty, haven't tried it yet, but sounds like should work. Also, when you explained how to use the Optional units with the scaling you said to use the alternate XML provided? Which ones are the alternates? Do you mean to move the XML from Optional Units into Ethnic Diversity, or visa versa? Also, should all the sub-mods be kept in their respective folders or merged into Ethnic Diversity?

Also, I think on the poll issue: All nations should have unique unit skins where possible, including WW2 (during which many countries besides the well-known ones built their own fleets, up to, and including Battleships: Spain; Turkey (Ottoman/Persia/Arabia); Sweden; Finland (Could borrow for Sweden/Denmark). Otherwise they should borrow from their colonial overlord/closest ally.

Also, when you explained how to use the Optional units with the scaling you said to use the alternate XML provided? Which ones are the alternates? Do you mean to move the XML from Optional Units into Ethnic Diversity, or visa versa?
The Optional Units pack includes 2 alternate sets of XML files for R.E.D. and S.U.G. The readme included with that pack explains where to move them, but it's all within the Optional Units folder.

Also, should all the sub-mods be kept in their respective folders or merged into Ethnic Diversity?
They're designed to be kept in their respective folders.

Also, when I load the mod, am I supposed to leave the XML folders in the ED folder (the .12 scale) as is, or replace them with the RED XMLs (.09)? I've used the updates (the 12.02 Optional Units, 12.04 modinfos, and EDUniqueBonuses, all zipped into the Mods folder; Assets from the unique bonuses is moved into the ED folder). I copied the folders inside 'the 12.03 stable' folder into Mods (meaning the whole 12.03 folder and all contents are still there, as well; that right?).

It had worked previously when I left out the Optional Units & SUG, but merged ED with RED. After reloading the mod, and following your instructions exactly, it breaks upon finally reaching the map. I can see everything clearly, but it still shows the old scale, plus the mouse is useless, nothing responds to clicking. The interface and everything else looks fine.

Also, when I load the mod, am I supposed to leave the XML folders in the ED folder (the .12 scale) as is, or replace them with the RED XMLs (.09)?

Like I've said, it wasn't meant to be merged. Activate the base mod, and then the addons. Manual copying is necessary only for when you want Optional Units with R.E.D. or S.U.G. scaling. [Also, thanks to your bug report, we know that the newunits_musketman.sql must be revised for Optional Units.]

Assets from the unique bonuses is moved into the ED folder).

EDUniqueBonuses.zip (optionally) must be unzipped wherever CiV is installed (e.g., in your Program Files folder, perhaps under Steam\steamapps).

I copied the folders inside 'the 12.03 stable' folder into Mods (meaning the whole 12.03 folder and all contents are still there, as well; that right?).

The 3 folders within the 12.03 zip should be located in your MODS folder. You don't need a duplicate copy under a subdirectory of MODS if that's what you're asking.

The new .modinfo's should be unzipped in the MODS folder, and replace the existing .modinfo's.

The other (optional) step is to copy civ5artdefines_viseffects.xml from the "copy to common" folder, either under the base mod, or the R.E.D. submod (if that's what you're using) to the Common subdirectory located in your CiV program folder.

EDIT: Note that I updated the modinfo fix for Optional Units to include all fixes from v12, including the one for the German musketmen.

After running several experiments and attempting to recreate the formerly-working mod, I can confirm the problem has appeared since the recent Civ 5 update.

The mod had been working earlier (despite my fooling with it; I eventually dropped the Optionals, and it was just fine), therefore, something else is most likely involved.

The main problem I'm seeing is that the scale is coming through, despite enabling RED after ED. Also, with the exception of the "Promotion/Upgrade Tree," the interface buttons no longer respond. Example: "Next Turn" is lit at the start, and if clicked on, depresses, but no result. Units are shown (at wrong scale) but cannot be clicked on. Is it possible this is actually a Civ 5 bug itself? I'm also using VEM, which may have an effect.

Thank you for the response, anyways, nutty.

Gotchya. I'll have to reinstall the stupid Civ 5 then. Q: How in the heck do you install a previous(Steam)-version of it?

Are we gonna be able to get an ED update for the new patch? The incompatibility's a game-breaker; It may be difficult to deal with. What do you think, nutty?

I doubt he would, at least at this point. The current version of Eth Div (or ED) is incompatible with the latest Civ V patch. Until it's made compatible, ED is worthless for anyone running on the patch. But, he might be working on the problem now. I hope he is, myself. After a week (and Nutty's help), I finally figured out how to use the optional units pack, then the patch came out :wallbash:.

I doubt he would, at least at this point. The current version of Eth Div (or ED) is incompatible with the latest Civ V patch. Until it's made compatible, ED is worthless for anyone running on the patch. But, he might be working on the problem now. I hope he is, myself. After a week (and Nutty's help), I finally figured out how to use the optional units pack, then the patch came out :wallbash:.

yea I'm in the same boat in that I just started using mods and now they're all broken *insert emoticon yelling up at the heavens*

Sorry, I've been swamped lately, but I should have much more time going forward.

*insert emoticon yelling up at the heavens*

Yeah. Something like ((( :aargh: ))) serves to convey my feeling as well.

Really, though, it's good; mods can now add units and still be compatible with other mods that add units--amazing, eh? :rolleyes:

In case you hadnt noticed, Gedemon's put up a new version of R.E.D. on Steam [v 12] that does work with the new patch (though it doesn't yet touch the new G+K content) [EDIT: v 13 supports G&K units].

I am working on it, but I want to coordinate efforts so I don't duplicate Gedemon's.

May be asking too much, but why doesn't the mod work anymore? I mean, what did the patch change that broke it?

The method that unit art is defined has changed. Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml are now loaded before the mod system, so changes can now (but must now) be changed in the database.

The Optional units pack, is that yours or gedemon's? Have been playing CiV with CiVUP (VEM) & R.E.D (was trying to get ED to work, finally did the day before the patch. Would like to get that set of mods going again.

Top Bottom