While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it strictly solo play or can several folks play together on line?

Any reason not to get it through steam?

New Vegas > Skyrim and anyone who thinks otherwise is of a decidedly inferior opinion.

Meh, New Vegas was good, but not Fallout 3 quality. It had some nice refinements of the previous installment, but the story left something to be desired. Didn't feel as much for the characters as I have done so in Fallout 3. But that's just my opinion.

Both of those games are mediocre RPGs at best and fail to hold interest very long.
What about Skyrim keeps it from being interesting over time?

EDIT: Wait, keeps it from being interesting? My fault. Some of the AI can be a little hectic, and getting up into the higher levels after about level 10 forces you to specialize more skills to advance quicker, which may cause you to grind for those skills. Minor bugs are also here and there, though most are being hammered out.

I think we should throw the NES forum a birthday party when it turns 10.

The lackluster replay value, in both cases, in combination with the horrible A.I and continuing reduction of RPG elements from previous games. The Fallout games all suck, mostly because of the boring setting, but also because of the repetitive gameplay.

Compared to oblivion skyrim is a masterpiece, it's easily on par with morrowind.

None of them are anything like japanese rpgs, if that's what you mean, but that's a prference thing, not a purity thing. I don't know much about fallout. Skyrim has finite replay value, tyhat is true, it has a lot of it, but its a finite supply, honestly though, thats a good thing. I don't need another world of warcraft sucking up every scrap of my free time. It is well worth the price.

I'm not talking about JRPGs at all. Plenty of western RPGs have way more replay value. I think the main issues I have with the direction Bethesda is heading lays in their combat systems. It is so boring. Everything feels the same.

I'm not talking about JRPGs at all. Plenty of western RPGs have way more replay value. I think the main issues I have with the direction Bethesda is heading lays in their combat systems. It is so boring. Everything feels the same.

It's hard I guess to mix up combat systems in a game involving magic and swords, though they are doing their hardest to do that at the moment with the dual wielding mechanic. That certainly manages to mix combat up at the very least.

There is a severe lack of emphasis on gameplay by Bethesda. They'd rather produce a pretty picture than a decent combat mechanic, or decent user interfaces. This all stems from my love of roguelikes, which seem to have gameplay that far exceed that of anything mainstream.

Yes, we get it, you're underground.

I will concede that combat in Fallout games is comically bad.

There is a severe lack of emphasis on gameplay by Bethesda. They'd rather produce a pretty picture than a decent combat mechanic, or decent user interfaces. This all stems from my love of roguelikes, which seem to have gameplay that far exceed that of anything mainstream.

A fair portion do.

Shooting and gunfights in Fallout can get rather bad, though in Fallout: New Vegas they improved on how it had been before by giving us actual iron sights instead of us having to rely on luck and good fortune.

Shooting and gunfights in Fallout can get rather bad, though in Fallout: New Vegas they improved on how it had been before by giving us actual iron sights instead of us having to rely on luck and good fortune.
This doesn't change the fact that where bullets go has little to do with where your gun is pointing, since Fallout uses a probabilistic combat model, not a ballistic one. The same is also true of Skyrim and Oblivion: your sword swings produce a dice-roll for damage like it's D&D with no little to no bearing on where you hit, despite looking quite realistic.

The trouble is basically that Bethesda's titles graphics continue to improve, while their damage models remain basic and archaic; you shoot/hit things until they run out of HP, and that's it. Considering how advanced dynamic combat has become for melee/CQC and gunfights in other games, the net result is Bethesda games look pretty, but the gameplay is ultimately very primitive: klik shot buttan 2 win. This disconnect makes suspending disbelief a difficult proposition for players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom