The Scramble for Africa Scenario and New African Civs

I just don't want them to use an existing CIV as a substitute for and African CIV. Like in the Polynesian scenario where Gandhi, Montezuma, etc where special guest stars as Tonga, etc. I don't want to see Gandhi pinch hitting for Shaka Zulu.

Unfortunately, I can see that happening. They'll use a reskinned Iroquois.

I can't see unmodded Egypt being in the scenario. Unmodded Egypt is Ancient Egypt, remember. If they do represent North Africa they'll use Harun.

Well a new screenshot (see zulu thread) seems to have almost confirmed the zulu, so no worries, at least as far as they're concerned. of course, sub-Saharan west Africa my be another story

Isn't West-Africa already well covered by the Songhai?
Central Africa is imho in more need of a civ then West-Africa.

Yea but i'm more thinking the congo region, which i consider west mostly because the plains/Serengeti region is between them and the eastern coast, although it probably counts more as central. :p

I see.
I though you meant the Ghana/Benin region with West-Africa. So basically we meant the same region. ;)

I see.
I though you meant the Ghana/Benin region with West-Africa. So basically we meant the same region. ;)

The West African kingdoms bordering the Gulf of Guinea were really different from the Songhai, culturally, religiously, economically and there wasn't really geographical overlap. Now that it seems like we have the Zulu, Central Africa is the most gaping presence, but the Akan, Yoruba and Igbo-dominated parts of West Africa would be good choices too.

I'm dredging this back for Zulu and maybe Morocco.

We know that they've touted the large number of civs that you can choose from for this scenario, and we know the three groups. Here's what I'm thinking it looks like -

Europe: France, England, Germany, Portugal, Spain, (Italy), (Belgium)

North Africa: Egypt, Morocco, Algeria

Sub-Saharan Africa: Ethiopia, Zulu, ????,

We'll have duplicates in there somewhere probably, but that's what I expect more generally. More specifically, Belgium could be a full civ or a Netherlands duplicate. The comments about civilizations associated with new late-game mechanics makes them seem possible, but it's really tough to imagine for reasons that have already been widely noted.

Italy could be a full civ, maybe Rome duplicate. Ethiopia's almost certain presence almost demands them, but Rome standing in for Italy here doesn't really feel right, making me think Italy might get in. I'm not a huge proponent of that, but that's my feeling, especially since they fit into the ideology scheme well too. I don't think both Belgium or Italy will get in.

As far as North Africa, Morocco makes sense as a full civ from everything we've learned, and if you add them you have a great stand-in to duplicate Algeria.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, neither Ethiopia or Zulu represents a good double for anyone, but I dunno how much they care about that. This one is wide open, could be a new civ, could be a duplicate, could be nothing. I know what I think makes sense, but I don't have any great clues to go on besides history.

If I am not mistaken, queen Nzinga never ruled over Kongo. What the developers may do is to opt for an amalgamation civ that includes the kingdoms of Kongo, Ndongo, Ngola and Matamba, just to have Nzinga as a leader.

She was the queen of Ndongo and Matamba (both are in modern day Angola), so we can still have her in the game (I would really like to have another female leader in the game, and specially one that isn't a "prostitute-turned-queen" but is a warrior :king: :) )

She was the queen of Ndongo and Matamba (both are in modern day Angola), so we can still have her in the game (I would really like to have another female leader in the game, and specially one that isn't a "prostitute-turned-queen" but is a warrior :king: :) )

Unfortunately Ndongo and Matamba are even less likely than Kongo. Ndongo collapsed well before the Scramble for Africa, and Matamba was kind of a shell at that point too. There are other female leaders possible, but I don't think she's one of them.

Unfortunately Ndongo and Matamba are even less likely than Kongo. Ndongo collapsed well before the Scramble for Africa, and Matamba was kind of a shell at that point too. There are other female leaders possible, but I don't think she's one of them.

Since I'm not the best African Historian, please list to me the other female leaders we can have? Please! :D

Since I'm not the best African Historian, please list to me the other female leaders we can have? Please! :D

The two that immediately come to mind are

Yaa Asantewaa of the Ashanti

and

Ranavalona I of the Merina

This is strictly related to Sub-Saharan Africa, and to nations/kingdoms deeply involved in the colonial conflicts of the Scramble for Africa in the late 19th/early 20th century. I'm not getting my hopes up, but there are certainly worthy candidates there.

The two that immediately come to mind are

Yaa Asantewaa of the Ashanti

I Became a fan of her because of the quote: "if you, the men of Asante, will not go forward, then we will. We, the women, will. I shall call upon my fellow women. We will fight! We will fight till the last of us falls in the battlefields" and now I want to play with her, not even if is in a mod :D

Ranavalona is the best name leader so far[1] :D Imagine starting a game and hearing "Clever and inquisitive Rabodoandrianampoinimerina..." That is worth playing with her :D (that and the "I like to move it, move it" that must be the theme song of Madagascar :crazyeye::lol::mischief:)

Queen Idia of the Benin Empire.

Not the right time period. :D

[1]: Win over Pedro II of Brazil which full name is: Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga. Would take like 3 turns just for him to finish saying his name every time he trade with you :D

I'm not sure if Egypt would even be in the scenario given that it was under Ottoman rule at the beginning of the Scramble for Africa, hell most of North Africa was under Ottoman rule.

Top Bottom