Crusader Kings 2

Just discovered that the Norse can now have different levels of being Viking, from Viking to Ravager to Sea King.

Spoiler what is dead may never die but rise again harder and stronger :

My current character is a werewolf who hears the voice of Jesus. He is also a craven syphilitic with a nickname "the Bold". Can't make this s**t up.

Other than being a werewolf (are you running a mod?), that doesn't sound like a particularly unusual character. :)

Other than being a werewolf (are you running a mod?), that doesn't sound like a particularly unusual character. :)
No mod. But yeah, the werewolf part is what got me.

"Emperor Hugues the Bold of Francia was widely regarded by contemporaries as being the embodiment of all seven virtues. He famously claimed Jesus spoke to him, yet was known to manifest somewhat erratic behavior, notably running naked and killing dogs, pigs and vassals unhappy enough to cross paths with him during full moon. Afterwards, he would seclude himself in a badger`s den for some deep religious contemplation, later emerging ever more pious and godly, usually to pass some controversial law (examples include The Turnip Act, The Pants Act, The Hole in the Wall Act or The Cessation of Violence Act) or to name yet another one of his horses Chancellor. Some historians say this undermines the credibility of his claims of divine connection, while others see proof of God working in mysterious ways. How he came to hold his moniker is another of those mysteries, because several credible witnesses attest the good Emperor was liable to faint at the sight of blood - unless the Moon happened to be full, that is."
:crazyeye:

Spoiler he died young like a rock star :

So my Norse ruler, who conquered Greece in a Great Holy War while a boy, died of the Plague when he came of age.

Plus side: current ruler, Bothildr, is a worthy ruler and grander huntress.

Spoiler he died young like a rock star :

So my Norse ruler, who conquered Greece in a Great Holy War while a boy, died of the Plague when he came of age.

Plus side: current ruler, Bothildr, is a worthy ruler and grander huntress.

Quick, set up a seduction/eugenics program to ensure your line will be forever great.

My Byzantine play-through (turned Roman) has demonstrated that history does not repeat but rather improves.

What was will be honoured...

Spoiler Rebirth of Pax Romana :

...but it all changed when the Mongolians invaded. Trainos II, son of the reforger Phokas II, came to be the second and last of the new Roman Emperors of House Isauros as Genghis Khan decided to claim the imperial throne himself.

Spoiler They Came, They Saw, They Conqured :

GLORY TO CAESAR KHAN!

What was will be honoured.

Spoiler Imperial Dream :

Now Phokas II of Latium heralds the legacy of the old Greek Emperors.

Spoiler now :

Harald the Pax Mongolia!

That sounds like an awesome game with the Mongols conquering Rome. Will you move to Lombardy or Austrasia to attempt to counter the Mongols further?

I started a game recently due to it being December and the Songs of Yuletide being enabled. Previously I'd played an HRE game and a Gascony-turned-Castile game; this time I decided to go for Italy from the earliest start. Started as Ravenna with Teuderic the Spider, and went from one county to a five-province duchy while scheming and defeating the Gates of Hell themselves. Tragedy would strike, however, with Teuderic's daughter-in-law dying in childbirth, and resulting in this unusual situation:

Spoiler :

A duke who is literally a newborn, as the first child of the late duchess regnant. Conveniently, he was also my initial count's grandson. Thus, a couple generations down the line, I was ruling two duchies, one inherited, and one of which my ruler had ruled for literally his entire life. The Length of Rule bonus, even at a fairly young age, was significant, and it was a good thing too as some relatives were less than fully content with what they already had.

Europe looks interesting, with this screenshot being more or less still accurate:

Spoiler :

France was mired in the Thirty Years' Civil War from 800 to 830, with Austrasia (Merovingian Middle Francia) eventually controlling most of the land. Saxony has had long-lived rulers and has been a notable power since early on, when Charlemagne suffered a severe wound in battle against them and died a few years later. Serbia has been powerful, but nearly every ruler has changed their religion (currently they are Orthodox, but Slavic and Tengrii has also been common). Islam has done well overall, especially in Iberia, though Lombardy controlled Tripolitania for a decade or two of near-constant warfare.

More recently, Duke Ago married his youngest son and heir (Ultimogeniture) to the future-and-now-current Duchess Regnant of Lombardy, who would then also inherit the Duchy of Benevento when her elder sister suffered an early death (which I didn't even play a hand in!). The King decided she then had too much power, and sought to revoke one of her counties. With my future grandson set to inherit the Duchy of Lombardy (unless the Duchess also died early, in which case her Sunni sister who had ruled Tripolitania would receive it; an interesting potentiality if one I didn't want), I threw my hat in with the rebelllion.

Spoiler :

And it actually went swimmingly. I had not realized that, as of the current patch at least, a ruler who sought to revoke a province and lost the war was forced to resign, and Lombardy had a new King (though neither me nor the Duchess of Lombardy). Conveniently, it also lowered crown authority, freeing the way to continue my territorial expansion. And while I'd feared triggering the revoke-hammer at some point as had happened in my HRE game, I can now rest assured that so long as I'm allied with the Duchess of Lombardy, our provinces alone - which include all of Lombardy south of the screenshot as well - are more than enough to defeat the rest of the Kingdom.

Now it's 834, and after a couple wars with pesky vassal counts, my realm is well secured, so it's time to add another county here, another county there, while developing my lands. Eventually I'll move for a Kingdom, but there's no reason to rush it when the slow, methodical expansion is already working so well.

I have become the High Priest of a demonic cult...

Spoiler large image :

...while being Emperor of the "Holy" Roman Empire.

I always knew there was some reason the Karling dynasty persisted...

Now I have ended heading the opposite... while being a werewolf.

Roger Karling, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and King of Jerusalem, was only minding his business when he ended up becoming a werewolf!

It was not long...

...till he had a victim!

Emperor Roger the Apostle awakened strange.

Now I should tell that Roger was a devout member of The Benedictine Order.

For his piety Roger was made Conversus of the Order!

So yes: we have a Werewolf Emperor Monk!

Sadly all good things must end...

...but we hope Empress Bourgogne may uphold the just goodness of her father, the monk... and werewolf.

All give their memories to Emperor Roger the Werewolf Apostle!

does that make people want to dethrone you or something?

Apologies for the late reply but... maybe. ;)

I always knew there was some reason the Karling dynasty persisted...

Only darkness could uphold darkness!

That and plenty of gold...

Why is Roger's daughter called Bourgogne??

Why is Roger's daughter called Bourgogne??

It came from the random names; I do not exactly why she got the name.

Anyhow she is currently a scholar empress, nicknamed the Hammer for defending the Holy Lands. Ended up reaching Imperial Administration under her.

I recently picked up this game on sale with a few of the DLC, and I'm really enjoying it. I suspect I'm a pretty slow player, though. I'm about 40 hours in and have progressed approximately 80 years as the Kingdom of West Francia, and now the Empire of Francia. The big time sink seems to be intrigue, with one random unimportant courtier plotting to kill another random unimportant courtier.

If you set your intrigue screen to automatically end plots, that should speed that up. Some people prefer to leave it off and deal with them manually though.

I prefer dealing with them manually, because I don't want to lose an opportunity to righteously imprison a duke that's becoming a bit too uppity. Or better yet, have them rise up in rebellion when I attempt to imprison them, so I can soundly defeat them, revoke their titles, and redistribute to unambitious cronies.

But there's a lot of chaff to wade through.

Henrik at least manages to smile in these videos, unlike Martin/Wiz in the Stellaris ones. :)

Top Bottom