R.E.D. modpack

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap out unit skins for one from another civ?
For example, could I replace the Roman tank skin for the German one and vise-versa?
Of course it's possible. The SQL files are just text files--that in this case have been laid out in columns to make them easy to read. Just change the .fxsxml file referenced in the appropriate civ to the one from the other file (i.e., 4-Rome.sql).

Note the upcoming version uses one giant file instead of one for each civ, and is laid out a bit differently, but the idea is the same.

In general, that's a good idea, and I do have a framework for mod support, but there aren't many models available that would fit that I'm not already using elsewhere.

If you (or anyone else with a similar request) has time and patience to spare, perhaps you can go through the Civ4 Unit Downloads, find some good models that would work, and let us know once we find someone willing to do the conversions. Better yet, convert them to Civ5 yourself, and I'd certainly be happy to add them! :goodjob:

Trying to scale down some of new units added by Vox Populi reminded me that I made a post here "recently" lol. I can certainly take a crack at finding models and such, but I'd be more comfortable if someone more knowledgeable than me about history were to do it.

Advertisement

Note I'm resurrecting my old mod, Ethnic Diversity, to continue my unofficial continuance of R.E.D. Modpack. Since Gedemon is back and intends to continue R.E.D. into Civ6, I don't want to create any confusion, and Gedemon won't have to support the monstrosity that I've turned his beautiful mod into. :mischief:

New guy, I'd like to clarify on a few things. Is this compatible with the Ethnic Units mod? Was Ethnic Units incorporated into this mod? What happens if I were to run both mods? Thanks in advance.

New guy, I'd like to clarify on a few things. Is this compatible with the Ethnic Units mod? Was Ethnic Units incorporated into this mod? What happens if I were to run both mods? Thanks in advance.

This mod incorporates Ethnic Units, yes; hence the name, Resized Ethnic Diversity. You might get database errors if you try to run both at the same time, depending on if they use the same names for stuff or not, but otherwise there shouldn't be any issues with running them both.

Is this compatible with the Ethnic Units mod? Was Ethnic Units incorporated into this mod? What happens if I were to run both mods?

Quick answer to the compatibility question: They're not really compatible. It doesn't blow up, but you'll get some anomelies. However, the latest v.28 semi-official beta of R.E.D. has quite a few more units than E.U. so it shouldn't matter. There's a few units that Ethnic Units has that R.E.D. doesn't, but that's by choice. [URL=https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ethnic-diversity-r-e-d-unofficial.449070/]Ethnic Diversity[/URL] has
even more units, but like Ethnic Units is only vanilla scale.

Long answer to the historical question: R.E.D. stands for Regiment and Ethnic Diversity, which refers back to the previous Civ4 incarnation of this mod ("Regiments, Formations, Air Force, and Ethnically Diverse Units") which started out by combining several Civ4 mods, including Ethnically Diverse Units, and Regiments.

These mods all use basically the same set of available units. The mod creators don't make the models; they just compile the stuff that other talented people have shared.

Ethnic Units was based on an old version of this mod (v.11 if memory serves), before Gedemon switched to the SQL table format it uses now. Ethnic Units backed out the formation and scaling changes that R.E.D. always included. For a while it included more units, partly because Gedemon had stopped updating for a time, but also because he preferred not to (arguably) shoehorn in a unit model that was available but didn't quite fit. Gedemon eventually did make some updates that closed the gap considerably. I took over for a little while and my v.28 semi-official update eclipsed Ethnic Units by a wide margin since BrutalSamurai22 hasn't updated E.U. in years.

Ethnic Diversity is another fork that I introduced during one of Gedemon's absences, prior to Ethnic Units, but I discontinued it when Gedemon came back. I reintroduced it again recently (what, 6 months ago?) adding even more units than v28. It's uses vanilla scale, but R.E.D. scale was planned to be added as a separate addon. However, that hasn't been completed yet and my time is extremely limited at the moment.

Quick answer to the compatibility question: They're not really compatible. It doesn't blow up, but you'll get some anomelies. However, the latest v.28 semi-official beta of R.E.D. has quite a few more units than E.U. so it shouldn't matter. There's a few units that Ethnic Units has that R.E.D. doesn't, but that's by choice. Ethnic Diversity has
even more units, but like Ethnic Units is only vanilla scale.

Long answer to the historical question: R.E.D. stands for Regiment and Ethnic Diversity, which refers back to the previous Civ4 incarnation of this mod ("Regiments, Formations, Air Force, and Ethnically Diverse Units") which started out by combining several Civ4 mods, including Ethnically Diverse Units, and Regiments.

These mods all use basically the same set of available units. The mod creators don't make the models; they just compile the stuff that other talented people have shared.

Ethnic Units was based on an old version of this mod (v.11 if memory serves), before Gedemon switched to the SQL table format it uses now. Ethnic Units backed out the formation and scaling changes that R.E.D. always included. For a while it included more units, partly because Gedemon had stopped updating for a time, but also because he preferred not to (arguably) shoehorn in a unit model that was available but didn't quite fit. Gedemon eventually did make some updates that closed the gap considerably. I took over for a little while and my v.28 semi-official update eclipsed Ethnic Units by a wide margin since BrutalSamurai22 hasn't updated E.U. in years.

Ethnic Diversity is another fork that I introduced during one of Gedemon's absences, prior to Ethnic Units, but I discontinued it when Gedemon came back. I reintroduced it again recently (what, 6 months ago?) adding even more units than v28. It's uses vanilla scale, but R.E.D. scale was planned to be added as a separate addon. However, that hasn't been completed yet and my time is extremely limited at the moment.
Thank you for the in depth answer. I look forward to that Ethnic Diversity mod you made. So, if Ethnic Diversity becomes finished and gets a R.E.D. unit scale, would it obsolete R.E.D.? Would there be a point to having R.E.D. installed at that point?

Which mod includes all Vanilla unique units and adds some - getting kinda confused ;-D
And would work with the R.E.D Combat Overhaul?

Last edited:
I'm a little unclear what you're asking.

R.E.D. Xtended requires R.E.D. Modpack, so the new units are all sized appropriately to match the smaller scale. None of the new units have ethnic diversity.

EDIT:
My "Just Ethnic Diversity for R.E.D. Modpack" modmod (that changes R.E.D. units to vanilla scale) doesn't change their scale, and my new Ethnic Diversity mod doesn't support R.E.D. Xtended units either.

Last edited:
There are some compatibility issues with modded civs, for some of them, either their unique units work with standard R.E.D or they'll work with Just Ethnic Diversity.
Two examples:
Nubia, their UU works fine on standard R.E.D, they are scaled down, but they continue to be scaled down with Just Ethnic Diversity.
Opposite for the Seljuqs, their UUs works fine with Just Ethnic Diversity, but they are giants with standard R.E.D.

Other civs UUs like Norway and Thrace works fine with both scales, even though the latter doesn't get Greek skins for their other units some reason.

I found the issue to be easier to fix using the Just Ethnic Diversity submod, editing the justethnicdiversity.sql and adding the unique units that where miniature sized.
There are still a few issues with some of the modded civs, some UUs have 20+ units in them even at vanilla size and a few from the India pack I couldn't get to proper size even by editing that file.

EDIT: Solved by entering the art defines of the modded unit and typing in scale and unit members there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom