How well has your country been represented in game?

Did firaxis accurately portray your country?

• Yep, they nailed it!

Votes: 22 10.9%
  • They did pretty good.

Votes: 79 39.1%
  • Meh, they did okay

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Not that great

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Maybe Firaxis should actually do some research first

Votes: 12 5.9%

• Total voters
If you ask a swede, our second choice would probably be Gustav Vasa (Gustav the 1st), who btw looks a hell of lot more like how Gustavus Adolphus was portrayed in the game. Carl XII i think is famous mostly for dying mysteriously.

I think Adolphus would be top choice for most Swedes, more importantly

Yeah, Gustav II Adolf would probably be the best choice, but I'd still prefer Karl XII. Gustav Vasa did lead the Swedes to independence, and started the Swedish Empire as we know it today, and I'm meant to be doing a short presentation on him tomorrow so I should probably know more.

And yes, I'm using Swedish names to look fancy.

Sorry, what country are you from? I can only hope that people don't hit me for asking this. :mischief:

EDIT: Found out. Probably should have guessed.

The 'two city-states' probably narrows it down somewhat. :)

Australia, for the record.

I am also from America, and I am fine with both UUs and the UA, but I really don't like having George Washington as the leader.
I think Washington was actually a good choice. He is sometimes referred to as "the Father of Our Country" for very sensible reasons. Not only was he widely respected for being the commanding general of the revolution, he was the one figure whom all of the colonies were willing to support after independence. Washington was literally the glue which held the US together during the initial years; the individual states were fractious and inclined to go their own way.

The UUs are both iconic, and represent a popular understanding of our history. Similarly, the concept of Manifest Destiny, although I agree with the criticism that the acquisition of land should have involved the use of force or coercion. For example, MD could involve the forced sale of land from a civ or city-state, if a border is shared. Or if a shared border exists, MD could allow America to annex the territory of a city-state in exchange for a settler unit and some gold. The city-state's military units would be disbanded and the city would be razed. The settler could re-found the city-state in some other location.

They got Germany, where I was born, kind of good. I've spent almost all my life in Canada though, and that's not very well represented at all. As in it doesn't exist. :mad:

For Korea they missed the obvious UA of -99% combat strength when fighting Japanese units

As an Indonesian, I only have 2 criticisms:

1) The civ itself doesn't really fit the leader. Gajah Mada is definitely one of the most well known figure in our history, and I have no complaint with him being one of the leader in Civ 5. The thing is, Indonesia technically didn't exist during his era; he was the leader of Majapahit Empire and Majapahit =/= Indonesia. IMHO, it's more accurate to have Majapahit civilization instead of Indonesia (after all, we have Rome instead of Italy, Persia instead of Iran, Aztec instead of Mexico, etc)

2) Kris swordsman. Never really know where these came from. Kris itself is not commonly used for war, it is mostly for accessory and symbols. And what's the reason behind the random promotion?

Other than that, I really like the UA and UB. The UA represent our country really well as we are the largest archipelago country in the world with so much resource diversity. The faith boosting Candi is also a great symbol as we are a very religious country, and we have so many real Candis from different eras.

Overall, I will give them a B

Canada

Not really

Two City States, without Toronto????????? Civs like the Shoshone and Songhai get in, but Canada dosent? Have any of you heard of these civs before Civilization (the game)? Our best representative is the Iroquois which is somewhat decent but still bad job.

Canada

Not really

Two City States, without Toronto????????? Civs like the Shoshone and Songhai get in, but Canada dosent? Have any of you heard of these civs before Civilization (the game)? Our best representative is the Iroquois which is somewhat decent but still bad job.

Basically my reaction with Australia, although at least they chose alright cities for city states

Canada

Not really

I heard of Songhai before, because they were a hugely important civilization to both the history of Europe & Africa. So I don't even know what "Civs like Songhai get in" is supposed to mean

Canada

Not really

Uh, yeah, I'd heard of the Songhai and Shoshone prior to playing Civ, and certainly feel that geographic and ethnic diversity make the game much more interesting. That being said, I do feel that adding Canada instead of some other, more modern civs (cough, cough, America, cough) would have been more unique and improved the gameplay, but the fact of the matter is that it wouldn't have happened.

I really have to wonder how much of a homer you have to be to seriously believe that Canada has had more of an impact on history and is more deserving of inclusion in the game than the United States.

From Brazil.

The translation is bad, but I already expected that.
The depiction Pracinhas (and their unique icon) is spot on, incredible job in one of the most iconic (if not the only) Brazillian military.
About the "Carnival" thing, yeah, I guess that's almost everything many people know about the country, so that's okay. I've heard that some people think we walk among monkeys, and although I don't believe that, the mere notion of someone saying that strikes me as very stupid.
Brazilwood Camp was a nod to the 1500's, very cool and the first Unique Improvement I actually played.
The Musical Theme "Chega de Saudades" got my by surprise. A pleasant surprise. :)
One of the cities is my hometown, so that's a plus! :D

Oh, almost forgot about the colors; the green + more green is a little dull, but the Civ Symbol's Background is kind of like a gradient between green and yellow, which are the colors we most relate to when talking about the country.

All in all, outstanding job.

I really have to wonder how much of a homer you have to be to seriously believe that Canada has had more of an impact on history and is more deserving of inclusion in the game than the United States.

Canada hasn't certainly not had more of an impact on history than the U.S., I was merely suggesting Canada would be a more interesting and unique choice for a modern North American country to represent in-game. However, you may now realize why I'm not employed by Firaxis...

I don't understand how they have the huns and the zulus as a civ yet not Australia, which for a short lived country has a very diverse culture and extensive history of interaction between different groups both internally and externally.

Hey I'm all for an Australian Civ most of the bonuses are economic and aimed at an expansive strategy that focuses on the acquisition of land and resources.

Leader could be Robert Menzies or Arthur Phillip

UA: Gold Rush - Metal resources; iron, copper, silver, gold, aluminium, uranium and coal produce bonus gold when worked. Having access to each of these resources in your territory increases happiness by 2 (Happiness boost granted once per resource type.)

UI: Sheep Station (requires animal husbandry) - Provides + 1 food (and additional +1 food when civil service and +1 food when fertilizer are researched) +1 production and +2 gold). May only be built on plains and desert tiles. May not be built next to adjacent farms, plantations, pastures or other sheep stations. So a desert tile with a sheep station can eventually be worked for 3 food, 1 production and 2 gold (once fertilizer is researched). But these improvements can't be placed next to each other or farms so it creates the impression of a sparse unproductive country where a sheep station has to muster animals from the adjacent tiles. It's useful to boost food yields in arid areas.

UU: Digger - replaced Great War Infantry with a set of specific and a cheaper cost than the standard GWI

As an American who has lived in Brazil for nearly a fifth of my life (admitted that's only 5 years :D)...

America seems to have been created as a neutral civ. I guess they expected a lot of players to be Americans and jump right to them? America is a country of military force and production. Americans are crazy productive, and the American army is hard to match. Two UU's reflect the military tradition, but the lack of any sort of production bonus is a bit disappointing, as "good old fashioned hard work" is actually quite definingly American.

Brazil is just slightly disappointing, ignoring the massive disappointment of the themes (that's totally NOT bossa nova...) Brazil is a country of strong culture, but it also has a strong history of science, particularly under Pedro II. Many people think of Brazil is a poor, uneducated country now. However, one of the greatest educators in modern history was from Brazil, and, though there are certainly problems in the educational system, it's really not bad (in cities).

So America isn't specialized enough, and Brazil is TOO specialized, to really capture the countries as a whole. Neither is a terrible representation, but both are just a bit lacking. Given it's a game, I really can't complain, as there are limited unique pieces to a civ, but neither does complete justice to the country it represents.

Brazilian here.

Brazil is OK for me. Let's see why:

Brazilwood camp: It's very well represented in the game. It had a strong economical and cultural influence, and it gave the name to the country, so I guess this is very important :)

Pracinhas: It's OK. The ability in the game represents what happened in Brazil after the WWII. Also, the unity icon is awesome. But I think that the air force had a more important role than the infantary, with the "senta a púa!" squadron.

Carnival: It is inevitable, isn't it? When you talk about Brazil, the first thing that comes in mind is Carnival(maybe Ronaldo). But the UA is too specific towards a culture victory. I know you are supposed to win with a cultural victory with Brazil, but I would like some choices. The UA won't help much at a domination or science victory, IMO.

I don't like the colors either. The combination is cool and smooth, but yellow is a must.

Pedro II is a logical choice. I can't think in other person (maybe Duque de Caxias, but he wasn't a leader). EDIT:Getúlio Vargas and Juscelino Kubitschek could be possible leaders too, after thinking about the topic. The leaderscreen is pretty good, well conected with his personality. Another option would be the Botanic Garden in Rio de Janeiro, where he used to go often. One thing that I dislike is his voice and some phrases. The voice is too 'young', and some lines are too informal.

I guess Getulio Vargas is too controversial ? That's the other big name I cant think of in Brazilian history.

I guess Getulio Vargas is too controversial ? That's the other big name I cant think of in Brazilian history.

True, I forgot Vargas ;)

He is a bit controversial, but the advance of Brazil under his control is clear. Petrobrás, Vale do Rio Doce, BNDES were created under his government. I think there would be no problem to adress him as leader in Civ, IMO. Also, some institutes are named after him (Fundação Getúlio Vargas).

Top Bottom