[Steam Released] Renaissance Era Revised

zwei833

Emperor
Updated to v.4 2016/9/28
- all the icons are clearer now
- 2h swordsman, Pikeman and Tercio have new running animation
- 2h swordsman and Rodelero have no more bouns against Landsknecht
- a UserSetting file is added into the mod folder, which allows player to choose different unit graphical options
- Gripsholm now yield 2 culture

Updated to v.3 2016/8/9
- fix DLC dependency issue
- new unit icon for Free Company
- Technology Large Weapons renamed to Large Cold Arms
- Rewrite part of unit codes, which would greatly improve new civilization mods' compatibility. Credit to Chrisy15, who rewrite the code

Edit: 2016/1/19

I updated the mod. Added referance to Enthic Diversity and R.E.D, to make sure the unit scale of new units would be proper if you use R.E.D, still no diversity graphic for new units, though.

Not affect the save files.
----------------------------

Renaissance Era Revised

(I would be grateful if someone can make a better title card for RER...)

STEAM Release!
Direct Download | Steam Subscribe

WIKIA PAGE

Introduction
The Renaissance Era Revised, also known as RER, is a WIP mod revise the military unit system of renaissance era, with new units, technologies, and new graphics. The main goal of the mod is to provide players a more historical-feeling renaissance warfare gameplay. RER is fully compatible with Pouakai's Enlightenment Era.

This mod features in:
-two new renaisaance era military technologies
-Add Reiter as an renaisaance cavalry unit, upgrade from Knight and upgrade to Cavalry(Cuirassier with EE)
-Add Two-handed Swordsman as an early renaisaance era melee unit, upgraded from Longswordsman and upgrade to Rifleman(Line Infantry with EE)
-Remove Lancer, add Tercio, which is the main and most powerful combat unit of renaisaance era, upgrade from Pikeman and upgrade to Rifleman(Line Infantry with EE).
-Spain now got Rodeleros UU as replacement of Tercio
-Musketman is now a range unit, which upgrades from Crossbowman and upgrade to Gatlingun(Skirmisher with EE)
-Landsknecht is now a Renaissance mercenary, add Free Company as a Medieval mercenary
-New unit model for a few existed units and other minor changes

You can find further information on the WIKIA PAGE

Preview

Screenshot of the units:
Spoiler :

The tech tree:
Spoiler :

The tech tree with Enlightenment Era:
Spoiler :

The RER units upgrade paths, the arrows in grey colour refer to unit upgrades with Enlightenment Era:

Merge More Wonders' Gripsholm Castle Wonder:
Gripsholm Castle

Requirements: Unlocked at Pike and Shot. City must be built next to Fresh Water. Costs 400 Production Production.
Effects: +1 Population in all Cities. +2 Food Food on Lakes. +1 CultureIcon Culture, +1 Greatperson Great Artist Point.

Current Progress

Beta Version released at 2016/1/15

-All 3d arts are already done
-All 2d arts are done, but still need improve
-The coding is almost done

Compatibility
-Compatible with all JFD's gameplay mods, and have special support for JFD's Mercenary
-Compatible Pouakai's Enlightenment Era
-Not compatible with overhaul mods
-To new civilizations mods, RER should be able to run with them. However, as RER change the style of Musketman, Landsknecht and Lancer(though it is removed, technically, Reiter is the UNIT_LANCER), if any UU in new civilizations replace those units, may cause some balance issues. And authors may find that some UU would be more historical-properly if they replace new units in RER. It is impossible for me to solve those problems, the only way to solve them is new civilizations mods' author add support to RER.

To modders:
The mod id of RER is: 66f38ce9-fc7b-448d-a7db-949d105b9b9f
You can detect whether RER is enable with the SQL code below:
Code:
AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Technologies WHERE Type = 'TECH_RER_PIKE_AND_SHOT')

If you need any further mod support information, please contact me, I would provide you as more as I can.

Credits List
Zwei833: Main author
Whoward69: Coding assistance
Enginseer: Coding assistance
JFD: Coding assistance, Civilopedias (from ItRD), unit flag icon (from Mercenary)
taube: Unit flag icons (from GAIA mod)
DJSHenninger: icon backgrounds
Nutty: Unit retexture
sukritact: Original author of Gripsholm Wonder
Pouakai: Original author of Gripsholm Wonder
Bakuel: unit graphics
Hoop Thrower: research
Chrisy15: suggestions and debugs

Feel free to use any RER's element in your mod, but remember to give credits;)

what is needed now

-a quote text for the technology Pike and Shot

-sometimes I think the unit name 'Reiter' is too German and 'Tercio' is too Spanish, any better name for them?

-if you want to add anything in RER, please tell me your idea!

-if you have any opinions, ideas or thoughts on RER, please tell me too

Attachments

• RER.jpg
    RER.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13,843
  • RER_TECHTREE.jpg
    RER_TECHTREE.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 127,091
  • RER_TECHTREE_EE.jpg
    RER_TECHTREE_EE.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 126,760
  • RER_unit_path.png
    RER_unit_path.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 22,299
This seems really cool :)

However I think you should add some additions to the "Pike and Shot" tech to provide incentives to push for getting the techs. Maybe a wonder or maybe a culture yield to Citadels or something.

Do you have combat strength/production cost planned out yet for the new units?

Awesome stuff :D I do worry about the Musketman change and compatibility though. Do you have the mod's ID? I'll add it as a reference for my civs for now on, for changes such as those to the Musketman.

Awesome stuff :D I do worry about the Musketman change and compatibility though. Do you have the mod's ID? I'll add it as a reference for my civs for now on, for changes such as those to the Musketman.

Thank you so much, JFD! You're the first modder to announce support of RER, which give me great confidence to finish the mod.

The mod id of RER is: 66f38ce9-fc7b-448d-a7db-949d105b9b9f
You can detect whether RER is enable with the SQL code below:
Code:
AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Technologies WHERE Type = 'TECH_RER_PIKE_AND_SHOT')
If you(and other modders) need any further mod support information, please contact me, I would provide you as more as I can.

This seems really cool :)

However I think you should add some additions to the "Pike and Shot" tech to provide incentives to push for getting the techs. Maybe a wonder or maybe a culture yield to Citadels or something.

Do you have combat strength/production cost planned out yet for the new units?
Thanks to reply. I also plan to add a wonder unlock at Pike and Shot, anyone have ideas?

The current unit plan(may be change later):

two-handed swordsman: combat:23, cost:140, +50% vs. Spearman, Pikeman, Tercio
free company: combat:16, cost: 45, everything is the original landsknecht
landsknehct: combat:21, cost:60
Reiter: combat:26, cost:185
Musketman: combat:22, range:1, cost:135
Tercio: combat:26, cost:160, Gunpowder unit, +50% vs. cavalry units

Out of date

discussion about balance issue is welcome!

I think JFD meant that changing the Musketman from a Melee unit to a Ranged unit will provide compatibility issues with Musketman unique units, which in mods will stay melee and stronger than they should.

Otherwise, it's a good idea! Although I'm conflicted about giving the Tercio to all civs, to me it's a perfect Spanish UU. :p
Maybe this mod, when active alongside EE, could move Humanism to somewhere in the Renaissance? Just an idle thought since we struggled to find any good spot for the tech all the time before. xD

Maybe for a wonder the "Castello di Monte San Giovanni Campano" could work as a (new) wonder for the time period? (I think it's a little bit before the time-scale however)

Or maybe: "Augustusburg Palace"?

Other's I saw but didn't look into as much
Spoiler :
Château de Fontainebleau, Grand Place, Fortifications of Vauban.

I agree with the qualms of moving the Musketeer to the Ranged unit line, it's too much of hassle for something I don't really think makes much sense in the first place.
I'd rather have the Musketeer in the melee line, since Longswordsman & Two-Handed swordsman seem to be pretty much the same unit, and have Arquebusiers instead as the ranged unit of the Renaissance era.

This way we could have actual Tercio Lines with Tercio Pikemen, Musketeers and Arquebusiers!

I would suggest changing the name of Large Weapons to Polearms because it's more specific to the units that this mod adds. Besides that, great work! :)
Yeah, Polearms might be a more proper word. however, Large Weapons represent the tendency of size increased of cold weapon in early Renaissance era, basically = polearms + two-handed swords. And if it turn into Polearms, it will need a new icon, which is pretty difficult for me now... But I will actually take a consider of your suggestion. Thanks!

Otherwise, it's a good idea! Although I'm conflicted about giving the Tercio to all civs, to me it's a perfect Spanish UU. :p
Spain will get Rodeleros instead, and as I said in the OP, sometimes I think the unit name 'Reiter' is too German and 'Tercio' is too Spanish, anyone have better name for them?
Maybe this mod, when active alongside EE, could move Humanism to somewhere in the Renaissance? Just an idle thought since we struggled to find any good spot for the tech all the time before. xD
It is possible! the only thing I concern about is that JFD's CID replace Humanism with Liberalism, don't know whether it would cause some problem or not.

Maybe for a wonder the "Castello di Monte San Giovanni Campano" could work as a (new) wonder for the time period? (I think it's a little bit before the time-scale however)

Or maybe: "Augustusburg Palace"?

Other's I saw but didn't look into as much
Spoiler :
Château de Fontainebleau, Grand Place, Fortifications of Vauban.
Thanks for your suggestions! I will do some research on them.

I agree with the qualms of moving the Musketeer to the Ranged unit line, it's too much of hassle for something I don't really think makes much sense in the first place.
I'd rather have the Musketeer in the melee line, since Longswordsman & Two-Handed swordsman seem to be pretty much the same unit, and have Arquebusiers instead as the ranged unit of the Renaissance era.

This way we could have actual Tercio Lines with Tercio Pikemen, Musketeers and Arquebusiers!
Well, I insist to keep the Two-Handed swordsman because I like it:p. Well, though Two-Handed swordsman is not much stronger than Longswordsman, it is an anti-Pikeman/Tercio unit.
The Tercio which combines pike and musket represents the Pike & shot formation during the Renaissance era, it would be meaningless if just a Tercio Pikeman...

Okay, I think the tercio's attributes are just wrong. I'd suggest giving him 20 strength and a 50% bonus against land units, as the Tercio's strength is driven from tactics\ strategy IMO, not from strong weapons or so.

Plus, I think that you should remove the Landsknecht or the two handed swordsman. Two handed swordsman is a landsknecht, so I don't see the point behind separating them.

(P.S. if I sound to harsh its because you added 2 new techs but changed\ added 6 units, :p)

Okay, I think the tercio's attributes are just wrong. I'd suggest giving him 20 strength and a 50% bonus against land units, as the Tercio's strength is driven from tactics\ strategy IMO, not from strong weapons or so.
Well, it seems reasonable, but... but... seems weird in game...
IMO the strength point doesn't only represent the strength of the equipments but also the formation and tactics of the unit.

Plus, I think that you should remove the Landsknecht or the two handed swordsman. Two handed swordsman is a landsknecht, so I don't see the point behind separating them.
)
Two-handed swordsman isn't only mean German zweihanders carry by landsknects or other european two-handed swords, but also this kind of weapons all over the world, such as Indian Assamese dao and Mel Puttah Behmoh, Chinese zhanmadao(斩马刀) and shuangshoudai(双手带), Janpanese no-dachi and Odachi, etc.
(I know someone may say it doesn't looks like Asian or something else at all, but that is another problem, all medieval units' icon&model ingame looks like european too)

A lovely little Poland Two-handed swordsman :p
Spoiler :

(P.S. if I sound to harsh its because you added 2 new techs but changed\ added 6 units, :p)
Well, it is because Renaissance Era is already ingame, it is not a new era mod like EE, so it is not possible to add too much techs... Or you want to revise the whole Renaissance tech tree.

Attachments

• heraldic.jpg
    heraldic.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 8,862
Actually, Tercio means "Third", it didn't just combine Muskets with Pikemen, it was a very specific formation of Arquebusiers, Musketmen & Pikemen, which is what gave the name. A third of each one, that's what I was going for. It's mostly because turning the Musketman into a ranged unit feels like a needless hassle, so having the Arquebusier in that place could solve the issue.

Maybe instead of a two handed swordsman, you could have a Hand-cannoneer, unlocked at gunpowder but still functioning as a melee unit. The Musketman could be moved to chemistry, and the Landsknecht could be moved to gunpowder to remove "large weapons" as a tech.

1. What are the new Spanish UU's stats?
2. I agree that changing the Musketmen will cause all kinds of issues; could you try reskinning the Musketmen into the twohander, so that unique Musketmen will remain Melee, and then a new UNIT_RER_MUSKETMAN could take the musketman's place?
[Edit]
3. Does anything upgrade into Uhlans/Anti-tanks now?

Don't get me wrong, I think that making Musketmen ranged makes a lot of sense, but it's just too much trouble for compatibility-wise.
[Brainwave]
As far as modded UUs go, could you use SQL triggers to set the RangedCombat as the existing Combat value, and then set Combat value as RangedCombat -2? (Or not change the Combat value at all)

[Edit 2]

Looking at Google Translate, reiter appears to be German for many horse-related things, including "Cavalier". Although Cavalier has more association with the English Civil War, it is an option (but I'm fine with both Reiter and Tercio personally)

1. What are the new Spanish UU's stats?
2. I agree that changing the Musketmen will cause all kinds of issues; could you try reskinning the Musketmen into the twohander, so that unique Musketmen will remain Melee, and then a new UNIT_RER_MUSKETMAN could take the musketman's place?
[Edit]
3. Does anything upgrade into Uhlans/Anti-tanks now?

Don't get me wrong, I think that making Musketmen ranged makes a lot of sense, but it's just too much trouble for compatibility-wise.

[Edit 2]

Looking at Google Translate, reiter appears to be German for many horse-related things, including "Cavalier". Although Cavalier has more association with the English Civil War, it is an option (but I'm fine with both Reiter and Tercio personally)

1, Rodeleros have +25% strength(while two-hander, which it replace, have +50%) vs Spearman, Pikeman, Tercio and Landsknecht, and +25% strength vs. Ranged units. Not final design, may change later, any suggestion?

2, well, technically it is possible, but I doubt that whether this would really help? Without proper supporting code in the new civ mods, the Musketman UU would still replace the wrong unit(the two-hander). but this might benefit the supporting code of the unit upgrade tree. Which scheme do you think is more convenient, new civ modders?

3, No. Tercio is an anti-cavalry unit, so maybe it should upgrade to Uhlans/Anti-tanks, but I think historically this is very strange. Tercio upgrade to Line Infantry/Rifleman would be much better. IMO the historical feeling is more important than keeping a full unit upgrade path, but if most of you think the latter is more important, I don't mind to change the upgrade path.
[Edit] another reason that Tercio upgrades to Line Infantry/Rifleman is that Tercio is not only an anti-cavalry unit but more importantly a main front-line unit in Renaissance Era.

[Brainwave]
As far as modded UUs go, could you use SQL triggers to set the RangedCombat as the existing Combat value, and then set Combat value as RangedCombat -2? (Or not change the Combat value at all)
Sorry, 24 is too high for Musketman in this mod...

Sorry, 24 is too high for Musketman in this mod...

RangedCombat = Combat - 2? That way, Musketmen that are 24 strength get 22 Ranged Strength, and the Combat stat can be reduced similarly. If a Musketman UU has 26 strength, then although it would get 24 Ranged strength, that would be part of its uniqueness.

Unrelated, does anyone know if Samurai adopted anti-pike weapons at any point?..

24 combat point and 22 range combat point? I want to keep them the same.

Maybe 野太刀(No-dachi) or 長卷(sorry, don't know how to spell in English)? They're like two-handed sword but I'm not sure whether they're specially use to anti-pike...

24 combat point and 22 range combat point? I want to keep them the same.

Let's take this as an example:

Code:
INSERT INTO Units (Type, Class, Combat, CombatClass)
VALUES                ('UNIT_C15_MUSKETDUDE', 'UNITCLASS_MUSKETMEN', 24, 'UNITCOMBAT_GUN');

CREATE TRIGGER Zwei_MusketManChange
ON INSERT INTO Units WHERE Class = 'UNITCLASS_MUSKETMEN' --I've never got triggers to work, so I don't know the exact working
UPDATE Units
SET CombatClass = 'UNITCOMBAT_RANGED', RangedCombat = Combat - 2, Combat = Combat - 2
WHERE Type = *.NEW --Or whatever the temporary variable is
END;

If that doesn't make sense, ask someone who knows triggers to write it out properly.

Maybe 野太刀(No-dachi) or 長卷(sorry, don't know how to spell in English)? They're like two-handed sword but I'm not sure whether they're specially use to anti-pike...

Google Translate says that those mean "Wild 'Tachi'" and "Scroll". Anywhere near what you intended?

[Edit]
Tachi is indeed a sword, but it just appears to be a precursor to the Katana. It's a start though, so thanks!

Top Bottom