No Man's Sky

I'm playing it fine right now with a GTX 970, but it feels like it should run better. Disabling V-sync helped tremendously. I mean it runs very well for me, but it feels like it should run even better. I also have a 5 years old computer here with a GTX 570 that's running it without crashes, although the frame rate leaves to be desired... Still quite playable though.

I think there is some issue with the way the game deals with resolutions and anti-aliasing, because it seems a bit blurrier than it should, and the field of view option even at its max seems to be still "tunnel vision". I think there is a fix to that through fiddling with game files. Anyway I hope they fix those visual issues in time. Now they have to get the game working for people. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but it's fine for me. I played like 8 hours just today and it didn't crash once, although I've had to restart twice because for some reason a special animation made the frame rate drop to like 5 frames per second. Restarting the game fixed it immediately. Out of 8 hours it wasn't too bad.

So yeah, I played 8 hours. Most of this was spent on 2 planets. I'm having fun right now. Not much to it no, but I'm curious to see how things develop when I go away from the cluster I'm in.

My main beef is the interface for now. It's atrociously consolized, the game doesn't recognize my third mouse button, the stupid "keep pressed until the circle fills" is annoying as hell, and the UI is very not user-friendly.
I guess we'll have to hope for a lot of patches.

The game is nice, however not as nice as we all thought. Planets are all similar. Colors change, vegaetation varies slighty like animals, but you can easily see the same patern under it all. Maybe if the game is modable enough and after a couple of years of hard work by a sizeable community it will become something really interesenting with real variety. For now it is only a curiosity not that different if other survival games out there.

BTW didnt have any of the perfornance and crashing issues many people is reporting, maybe because my rig is a 6700k/ 980ti with 32 gb RAM.

The game does have similarity, but try going to stars further from where you start, and other classes of stars (not just yellow stars ("G")), might mix things up a bit... Albeit not to the extent we'd want it to, but it does change a bit. Right now I'm 13 hours in and seeing a lot of similarity.. but at the same time these hours were spent in only 3 closeby G-class star systems.

The game is about as much as I expected. At least the graphics run smoothly on my computer once I bump the framerate cap to 60 although there are dips when things are loading.

Game runs fine on my rig (i5 3570K, EVGA GTX 980Ti, 16 MB RAM), except for the blurriness usually reported. One thing that helped was setting up the FPS settings to "Max" as it is set to 30FPS by default.
Overall the game isn't so bad as the reviews state...I'm having the issue that I can't discard any items from the inventory (The ridiculously low number of slots isn't helping either) because I don't have a mouse with a third middle button available. Also, I can't find where to remap the controls...

I only heard about this game about 6 months ago and promptly forgot about it so I was blissfully unaware of the hype and toxicity around it. Shortly before release and just after I started to watch the odd video etc and the conclusion I came to was that it looked like a cool idea technically but more importantly I think it looked boring as all hell. Watching people mess around with the tiny inventory, filling some unimaginative resource bars and visiting random places made up of the same limited parts for hours on end turned me right off, especially for its £40 price tag.

I think the only thing that could of saved it for me was a more MMO vibe - not that I play them either :p - as the idea of exploring this huge universe with other people would be much cooler IMO.

Obviously avoiding spoilers does the story provide enough of a hook to keep you going?

The game is like an amazing, yet incomplete tech demo...The story is vague, to say the least. There's some alien civilizations that you trade with, but all of them behave practically the same. You learn words of their language by scouting temples, that btw, they all look the same. You're supposed to reach the center of the galaxy by improving your ship and its warp drives. I read that what happens at the end is disappointing...I'm about 10 hours in and it's still interesting to play, all in all. If only for the exploration part and for improving your exosuit and space ship. Someone perfectly summarized what this game feels like on reddit: "This is the worst game that I can't stop playing"...

Pretty much. The story is pretty much non existent, the "ending" is laughable.

There is very little to recommend right now, but I just keep playing. I don't know why. It's just fun to see what it's going to be like "out there". "worst game I can't stop playing" is right.

It really feels like they were forced to release the game way before they would have liked to release it, and that many features were pulled out. Hopefully they will add many of them back... But the game is already out.

It's basically an early access game.... With an amazing soundtrack. I should probably buy the 65daysofstatic album.

Wow, watching the AngryJoe review it's pretty crazy some of the stuff the developer claimed to be in the game before release. I was taken in by Molyneux hyping up Black & White 2 and such, but at least he seemed to be mostly vastly embelleshing features that were actually existant rather than outright lies. The claim from the NMS devs of having to "change the atmospheric particles composition to make green skies on certain planets" as a way of saying they altered some color values is the sort of thing Molyneux would say, but these guys seem to go even beyond that.

The game still looks attractive enough as it is to be worth playing if not on the AAA price point, all this over-hype seems a bit unnecessary unless they are intending to just sell-out take the money and run.

Link to video.

The soundtrack is amazing...I listen to it while at work and I get really inmersed in what I'm doing and forget everything around me...
I think Sony pressured Hello Games into releasing the game way before it was ready...This could have been released as a early access game for $30 and no one would be complaining...I Hope they do patch things up or release a DLC to really finish this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they outright lied personally. But they did not retract some of their statements before release, which can be considered a lie by omission in some way... Having followed the game's development, it is obvious that, for them, throughout development, almost all features that they talked about were going to be in the game. But they simply could not deliver them in time for release. They should really have come out and said that "this" and "that" isn't going to be in the game at release. At the same time, I'm sure Sony wasn't too much into the idea of being too clear about the things that had to be pulled out for release.

I'm hoping they add a lot of what's missing with time. No Man's Sky was announced way too early...

I spent many hours playing this game, and enjoying it, until I realized there's nothing to it. All you do is mine resources, upgrade stuff, and fly about looking for more stuff to mine and more formulas and upgrades. That's it. There is no win or lose, and even the exploration is repetitive. I had fun starting the game over several times just running through it all again, but now that's lost it's flavor and I don't play it anymore. If there are some upgrades or something added to the game I'll check it out.

It's like you bought half a game and they haven't released the other half yet.

Top Bottom