New Zelda might be nearly ten times larger than Skyrim

CivCube

Spicy.
Um, wow. http://www.eggplante.com/2016/06/14...d-map-revealed-roughly-360-square-kilometres/

After playing the game for about an hour, by our approximation, when fully zoomed out, each square on the map translates to roughly 1 square kilometre (0.4 square miles). The E3 demo is contained within a relatively small section of the map, a section that appears to be about 2 km by roughly 1.5 km. Though the size of the square grid on the map doesn’t scale with the map itself, the calculation is the same: the entire map appears to be roughly 360 square kilometres, or roughly 140 square miles.

Not sure if I'll buy an NX for this instead of getting it for Wii U...but yeah. If you've been watching any of the E3 streaming, linear game this ain't.

Link to video.

I'll say the same thing I always say when I hear this about games:

It's not how big the world is that matters. It's how much interesting stuff there is in the world. Daggerfall was about 500,000 square kilometers in area (ten thousand times larger than Skyrim). But there were probably only about 5 square kilometers in Daggerfall that were actually interesting and unique (if that); the rest was all procedurally generated filler.

Also a reason why Skyrim "feels" bigger than Oblivion, and Morrowind "feels" bigger than either of the later two - despite the fact that the actual size ratio is exactly opposite that.

Well, sure. That's never going to change. You could have a game that was only ten feet in landscape and have it contain more content than an MMO.

You should watch some of the E3 streaming. The game is looking impressive.

I agree it does. First Zelda I'm excited for in a long time.

It will still have 10 times worse writing, combat and general design. I really want to say that it looks pretty, and it kind of almost does, but there's just something... not quite right about the art. Or the animation.

It does look like Nintendo might finally understand how to put Zelda into a 3D world though, and it looks like a great game for children.

it looks like a great game for children.

Good ; then maybe it will focus on being entertaining rather than focusing on cramming as much angst, cynicism, tits and blood in the game as they can.

Open world games are vastly overrated IMO. Such a huge space instantly makes me doubtful I would have a lot of fun in what is at its core a story driven game.

Open world is great if there is no other real point other than exploration (Minecraft and possibly No Man's Sky), but just makes a game too bloated if there's a story.

This is why I really can't play most of the big RPGs coming out. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher, etc. Unpopular opinion I know, but give me a tight, linear, focused experience any day of the week for a game with a story over open world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Whereas I feel constrained and forced down an artificial path in games like you describe.

To each his own, I suppose.

It should work pretty well in Zelda then since it's never had much of a story and mostly focuses on exploring a world and series of puzzles.

The Witcher 3's world is open but packed with plenty of quests (many of which are short stories in and of themselves), smaller story arcs and the main story itself, can't say I often felt too direction less in it.

Open world games are vastly overrated IMO. Such a huge space instantly makes me doubtful I would have a lot of fun in what is at its core a story driven game.

Open world is great if there is no other real point other than exploration (Minecraft and possibly No Man's Sky), but just makes a game too bloated if there's a story.

This is why I really can't play most of the big RPGs coming out. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher, etc. Unpopular opinion I know, but give me a tight, linear, focused experience any day of the week for a game with a story over open world.

You can play Witcher 3 as a tight focused game with a very good story (just don't stray off the path of the main quest), however you will be missing a whole lot of good content if you do so. Open world and having a story are not mutually exclusive.

I'm sure there are good open world games with a story that I just haven't played, and of course as there are many people who love open world games I'm glad they are out there, I just can't seem to get into them.

What bugs me is if you play it as the story wants you to play it, you will miss tons of content as the story is inevitably one with great urgency. But, if you put the story on hold to explore the world, the fact that you can ignore these earth shatteringly important events to do side missions just kills the immersion for me.

I love Minecraft because there is no central story, so I feel freed to explore to my hearts content...and hope that's the case with No Man's Sky.

I would say open world and a compelling central story are at odds with each other because you WANT to explore, but if you do you've made the story ludicrous.

And really that's one of the main reasons why The Witcher 3 works so well as a story: it's more a series of connected vignettes than a Skyrim-style "THERE IS NO TIME YOU MUST GET TO THE THROAT OF THE oh hello did you find all the stones of barenziah?"

And really that's one of the main reasons why The Witcher 3 works so well as a story: it's more a series of connected vignettes than a Skyrim-style "THERE IS NO TIME YOU MUST GET TO THE THROAT OF THE oh hello did you find all the stones of barenziah?"

Hm...if that is the case I may look into The Witcher 3 a bit more as it would solve my main issue. :goodjob:

Continuing off-topic, but what's the graphics demand of The Witcher? I've been using Canyourunit recently but even when I don't meet the minimal demands I often somehow run games without problems

Yeah, canyourunit insist I can't play Stellaris (which runs just fine in reality).

Top Bottom