What language does Ramessess II speak?

And i really, REALLY hope the Persians don't speak Arabic, as that would've been downright bad, there's probably are a 500 000+ who speaks Persian in the US alone....

They might've gone with Dari. The eastern dialect spoken in Afghanistan and Tajikistan (and others I believe) which contains far fewer arabic loanwords than Farsi (the Arabic influence is evident in that they do not use the letter 'p' in the name of the language), though Farsi-speakers should be able to understand Dari-speakers as far as I know...

It also occurs to me that, instead of speaking the Persian language, he spoke the official language of the Persian Empire. As a unifying measure, Darius was smart enough to use Aramaic (which was universal as a merchant language) as his official language.

So maybe Firaxis is being smart by having him speak something that, to an Iranian ear, would sound a lot like Arabic.

^Then again, if Firaxis really spent that time and effort researching and trying to have leaders speak the "correct" ancient languages...

(and back to topic...)

Why would Ramses speak modern Arabic, then?

Of course, if they did that, then Catherine should be speaking French too, I guess?

Hey, I'm just trying to hope Darius isn't screwed up. That would mean either would be great:

Ancient Persian (as close to Achemedian as possible) or
Imperial Aramaic.

Barring that,
Modern Iranian or
Any other version of Aramaic (which shouldn't that hard, it was in Passion of the Christ).

Either way, just please not Arabic (of any dialect).

Basically, a good faith effort is what I'm hoping for. That could mean they tried to find a good Ramses speaking Ancient Egyptian or Coptic Egyptian, but had to settle for Egyptian Arabic would be disappointing, but not terrible (if they had gone with an Iraqi dialect of Arabic, it would be a problem). Apparently, Alexander speaks Ancient Greek, so they have gotten some right (so far, Ramses seems to be an outlier).

Which Catherine is being portrayed in Civ 5 btw? The wikipedia article says its the second (the great). If so, should she speak French? I'm pretty sure that around that time the Russian court got into the habit of speaking French.

Exactly. French was widely spoken in the courts of Catherine the Great and among the Russian nobility. Russian itself was hardly, if ever, used in formal conversation as the Russians were still "westernizing".

Another example would be Gandhi, who often spoke in English.

I would hope, actually, Catherine and Gandhi spoke in Russian and Hindi (respectively obviously :lol:). It makes their civ have more flavour. You hear Russian when you speak to a Russian and Hindi when you speak to an Indian.

Can't wait to hear Hiawatha.

I suppose all we can do is wait ad hope that they changed a lot of this for Civilization V's final release. It would have been really nice, though, if one of the previewers just happened to be a linguist...

Top Bottom