Dislike the direction CIV5 is taking? Tell us how you'd do it!

How will you build your next game:

• Make your next game even more complex, further reducing chances of attracting new players.

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Make your game even more complex and add even more complexity through expansions.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • Create a simpler game that is going to attract new players; make it more complex through expansions.

Votes: 48 39.3%
  • Create a simpler game. You'll add more complexity in your future games.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
I dont dislike the direction this game is taking if you dont like civ 5 just go back to civ 4 I mean if thats what you like better.

I'll take choice 5, build a more complex game where complexity choices can be turned on and off.

Barbarians: None / Normal / Raging.
Religion: None / Simple / Complex.
Units per hex: None / 1 / 5 / Unlimited. (Option 1 = a very odd game.)
Diplomacy: None / Simple (forgets after 5 turns) / Normal (forgets after 50 turns) / Bitter (never forgets a slight)
Happiness: Off / Per city / Global.
Pollution: Off / Per city / Global.

Get the idea?

Obviously it would require more choices than the above, but the idea would be that the player could customize what was in and out. Want religious wars? Crank religion to the wall. Want fewer units? Limit to 1UpT. Want more complex ecology? Turn on pollution. Want ICS penalties? Turn on distance-based maintenance costs.

Start the game off simple with most of the above turned off. Give various "standard" bumps where a selection sets / clears a bunch of choices. Allow into the advanced section where everything can be turned on / off.

Modders will still be able to do their thing, adding maps, scenarios, new units, so on and so forth. This would be the stuff before modders' work is taken into account.

Option 5, definitely.

If Civ5 was designed that way, then the idea of "the most moddable civ iteration ever" marketed by the devs would be true. I totally agree with you.

If you analyse Sid Meier's games you'll notice that complexity entered the company in form of Brian Reynolds and other developers. I'll start from Beginning:
Pirates! - average complexity game; developer - Sid Meier
Railroad tycoon - average complexity game; lead dev. - Sid Meier
Railroad tycoon 2 - more complex than RRT; lead dev. - PopTop
Civilization - average complexity game; lead dev. - Sid Meier
Civilizaition 2 - more complex than CIV1; lead devs. - Brian Reynolds, Jeff Briggs
Colonization - more complex than CIV1; dev. - Brian Reynolds
Alpha Centauri - most complex Firaxis game (at least in theory); dev. - Brian Reynolds
Civilization III - a bit less complex than SMAC; developers Jeff Briggs, Soren Johnson
Civilization IV - as complex as SMAC; lead dev. - Soren Johnson
C4: Colonization - basically a copy of original
Pirates! - basically a copy of original
Civilization: Revolution - average complexity game; lead dev. Sid Meier
Civilization V - average complexity game; lead dev. Shafer

Sid Meier, personally, always put entertainment over complexity. Even repeatativeness over complexity.

Sid didn't like where Reynolds was going with his designs so Reynolds quit. I don't know what happened with Briggs and Johnson but I guess the issue was the same. Why fire or bid farewell to someone who does exactly what you want?

We have a saying in Croatia, uhh translation goes something like "Why switch out a horse that's already winning the race?" Sid Meier obviously thinks gameyness and goofiness did more for his career than complexity and longevity.

I have my opinion on that and its not pretty. But surprisingly I like CIV5 very much. So sue me :)

Briggs became ceo and, at least titularly, sid's boss. he helped usher in the sale of firaxis to 2k. Even though he had a "developer" or "lead" title for a long time, his training is as a composer. he did a lot of composition for civ4 as well, though christopher tin did the most important part.

Generally speaking, however, you are correct. Sid is about simple games for the masses, brian/soren/jeff/etc took the franchise in a different (and incredibly successful) direction, and shafer either didn't have the clout or the desire to continue pushing civ away from sid's original goal.

Top Bottom