G&K video preview with Dennis Shirk and Ed Beach

Swordsmen are 14 now, meaning longswords are probably, what, 20ish? Hello useful Landsknechts!

Uhg, on second thought, yay balance, but man is that going to make Bismarck a pain to deal with. It's one think when you can go up against his LK spam with a unit that's 60% stronger, assuming my guess for longsword strength is right and LKs just stay 1/2 cost Pikes, you're only looking at a 25% strength advantage vs. a fraction of the cost on top of AI bonuses. Could be a tough situation.

yeah, tougher, but hey - Now a medieval era unit is stronger than a Classical Era unit! :lol:

yeah, tougher, but hey - Now a medieval era unit is stronger than a Classical Era unit! :lol:

Yeah, I agree that it's a good thing. Although the resource component needs to be taken into account too.

Actually though, now that you mention it, isn't Civil Service a Classical era tech in G&K though? So now also swordsmen and pikemen are the same era, even though the latter takes many more beakers.

Yeah, I agree that it's a good thing. Although the resource component needs to be taken into account too.

Actually though, now that you mention it, isn't Civil Service a Classical era tech in G&K though? So now also swordsmen and pikemen are the same era, even though the latter takes many more beakers.

Civil Service is still a Medieval tech.

Iron Working is exactly 3 techs worth of research, while Civil Service seems to be ~11 techs.

Civil Service is Medieval in G&K.

Battering rams have 300% bonus against cities?! Okay now I'm legitimately afraid of being next to Attila on game start.

You know, as long as the AI decides to actually build them, of course :mischief:

That could get scary in MP though I think.

Is it just me, or are the percetnages outrageously high in God and Kings? mostly for balance, but I've noticed they sure are trying to make certain units really good.. like Archers no longer being penalized for attacking Cities, but then Siege units have a large percetnage bonus against cities.

Probably the main reason why Siege units receive such high bonus against cities is because their efficiency against units is very affected,as it should be . Also,I'm expecting that the importance of defensive buildings to protect weak civilizations against strong ones becomes vital for their surviving .

Battering rams have 300% bonus against cities?! Okay now I'm legitimately afraid of being next to Attila on game start.

You know, as long as the AI decides to actually build them, of course

That could get scary in MP though I think.

Now I know what civ people are going to get made fun of for taking in MP. lol

Swordsmen are 14 now, meaning longswords are probably, what, 20ish? Hello useful Landsknechts!

Uhg, on second thought, yay balance, but man is that going to make Bismarck a pain to deal with. It's one think when you can go up against his LK spam with a unit that's 60% stronger, assuming my guess for longsword strength is right and LKs just stay 1/2 cost Pikes, you're only looking at a 25% strength advantage vs. a fraction of the cost on top of AI bonuses. Could be a tough situation.

Flanking bonus has gone up from 10% to 15% per unit, as has the adjacent unit bonus that comes in the Honor tree. Makes Landsknecht spam even more effective, because you will have more units providing flanking.

Interesting video, but I really wished that they would have shown some of the Byzantine units / footage.

Flanking bonus has gone up from 10% to 15% per unit, as has the adjacent unit bonus that comes in the Honor tree. Makes Landsknecht spam even more effective, because you will have more units providing flanking.

Good point. And the small nerf to shock/drill and Great Generals means a large force of weaker units is hurt less by getting less from modifiers. Thinking these factors together should facilitate more variety in gameplay. Also note that higher base strength but lower hate modifier means counter units won't fall so far behind the higher-strength units that they're supposed to counter as promotions and other bonuses stack.

Probably the main reason why Siege units receive such high bonus against cities is because their efficiency against units is very affected,as it should be . Also,I'm expecting that the importance of defensive buildings to protect weak civilizations against strong ones becomes vital for their surviving .

They should be. Walls have been far too optional or ineffective in most of the Civ series.

I think the main thing is you'll need siege units to break down the walls first
then attack and take the city. Wall now mean the enemy will have to take a
siege unit along. At least thats what I think.

Do you think we'll see full-build previews in the next few days? Im surprised we've seen nothing of the Medieval scenario and very little of spying, city states or AI improvements.

no need to draw very cynical conclusions from what was left out of a single video clip, especially when you don't know what else is coming.

Thanks for your input and let me tell you I am as excited as the next person to get the expansion pack but you don't have to be the brains of Britain to see from all the previews and information we have been given previous that espionage has just been thrown in there to fill out the expansion. Come on...I mean it's a black screen popup with a couple of drop down menus and a few limited options.

Do you think we'll see full-build previews in the next few days? Im surprised we've seen nothing of the Medieval scenario and very little of spying, city states or AI improvements.

It looks like the last push by marketting to me. My Google Alert for G&K has had several blogs showing this video. It wouldn't surprise me if a few more articles came out in the next few days.

There was also an article circulating yesterday about a guy (on Reddit.com) who played a single civ 2 game for 10 years, well into the future era. I suspect that was timed to coordinate with G&K's release as well. Put civ on everyone's mind.

I like how Dennis tries to shape public opinion by saying he plays Boudicca in like 7 out of 10 games. It's like religion is so important that even teching must take a back seat. Hahaha.

Top Bottom