National Wonder Elimination Thread

Hermitage 6
Ironworks 31
National Epic 7
Oxford University 25
hermitage is a must have for cultural victory (i build it a lot when i go tall... )
national epic ... i really rarely build it even when i grow tall (or jut for the +1 culture where i will build my hermitage ... i even built it once at least after hermitage just for the cultural point (and because it was cheap)...)

Hermitage 6 - 2 = 4
Ironworks 31
National Epic 7
Oxford University 25 + 1 = 26

It is still the case that I almost never bother with Hermitage. But then, I don't often go for cultural victories.

Hard to decide between Ironworks and Oxford University, both of which I often construct. Since I've been pushing for more science victories recently, the nod goes to OU.

Hermitage 2 (-2)
Ironworks 32 (+1)
National Epic 7
Oxford University 26

Something that is a must have for one type of victory and irrelevant or impossible to acquire for other victory conditions is bad for gameplay. Strategy games should be about weighing the pros and cons of numerous options rather than a rote color-by-numbers exercise where only one path is viable.

+8 production is sweet and helpful for numerous strats, but it's not an automatic grab given the prereqs.

Hermitage 0
Ironworks 33
National Epic 7
Oxford University 26

Good bye Hermitage and Hello Ironworks. Do I really need to repeat what I've said before about these two?

Ironworks 31
National Epic 7
Oxford University 27

Same vote than yesterday.

OU can be a lot useful on archipelago maps to get Navigation or Astronomy a lot sooner if you stay with 1 or 2 cities.

Ironworks 31 + 1 = 32
National Epic 7 - 2 = 5
Oxford University 27

I rarely build the national epic, so it's obviously the one to vote down.

Both the others are useful, so I decided to replace raw opinion with some actual data. I checked my achievements debug log; so far, I have built the Ironworks 94 times and Oxford only 77. So I clearly like the Ironworks better.

Ironworks 32 (+1)
National Epic 7
Oxford University 25 (-1)

I always build Workshops in every city, and Ironworks comes shortly after the last one is complete.

I often get stuck trying to choose the best time to take advantage of the free tech from Oxford, and delay building it until it really has little impact since I've already won the game.

Ironworks 32 (+1)
National Epic 7
Oxford University 25 (-1)

I always build Workshops in every city, and Ironworks comes shortly after the last one is complete.

I often get stuck trying to choose the best time to take advantage of the free tech from Oxford, and delay building it until it really has little impact since I've already won the game.

This post forgot to include the changes from the previous one. Correct scores should currently be

Ironworks 33
National Epic 5
Oxford University 25

Ironworks 34
National Epic 5
Oxford University 23

Have to agree with Mesix. I am much more likely to build one of the other 2 than Oxford. Ironworks is better than National Epic b/c it comes around the same time as Oracle, which beats all National Wonders by far (Except NC.)

Whoever happens to be the one to eliminate one of the National Wonders please remember to put National College back in. I believe it was at 37 when it was taken out, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ironworks 34
National Epic 3
Oxford University 24

I hardly ever build the national epic, usually only if I have nothing left. I always build the oxford university.

Ironworks 35
National Epic 1
Oxford University 24

Ironworks: you have to have one very strong hammer city.
National Epic: I will only build this when there's (almost)nothing left to build

Ironworks 35
National Epic 0
Oxford University 25

Oxford for the win! Using Oxford you can:
- make the quickest rationalism jump
- get radio for Broadcast tower for cultural victory
- get any advanced military tech and take the fight to the enemy with your advanced weaponry

NE is cool, but in the end, it is far from being a game-winner. So it must go.

Ironworks 36 (+1)
Oxford University 23 (-2)

Ironworks I build all the time. Workshops are a priority build, and Ironworks is just a nice bonus after the last city finishes its workshop.

"Oxford can wait until later," is something I say to myself almost every game.
Ironworks 34
National Epic 5
Oxford University 23

Have to agree with Mesix. I am much more likely to build one of the other 2 than Oxford. Ironworks is better than National Epic b/c it comes around the same time as Oracle, which beats all National Wonders by far (Except NC.)

Whoever happens to be the one to eliminate one of the National Wonders please remember to put National College back in. I believe it was at 37 when it was taken out, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would we put National College back in? It would have gotten more votes in the past few days had it not been taken out. I thought the others were vying for 2nd place. No?

If we do add it back in, here is the last post it was included in:
Circus Maximus 3 - 2 = 1
Hermitage 12
Ironworks 27 + 1 = 28
National College 45
National Epic 12
Oxford University 25

I rarely have enough happiness problems in G&K to bother getting the Circus Maximus; there are just too many other ways to deal with that problem now.

On the other hand, I almost always can find a use for the extra production that comes from the Ironworks.

I perfectly understand. In singleplayer games, my goal is to finish earliest as possible. Oxford brings me this oportunity.

But in multiplayer games, where i only need to win the game, Ironworks is better for my taste. Playing quick speed favor IW a bit too.

For survival sake and win, IW is better i think.

Ironworks 37
Oxford University 21

Much more a fan of the production boost than a science boost. I don't particularly care if my opponent has a slight tech advantage if I can pump out units to send at them.

Ironworks 38 (+1)
Oxford University 19 (-2)
Even though bothe of them are great I'm a production lover.

Apparently this is where National college is supposed to come back in at 45

Ironworks 38
National College 46 (+1)
Oxford University 17 (-2)

If the consensus is that we should add it back in, then so be it.

I vote the National College one higher. I always build it ASAP in every game. It is the only national wonder which makes me want to slow early expansion until I built it.

I voted down Oxford because it is not necessary to build in every game. Especially when I expand a lot, I often do not get Universities in my smaller cities. I always build Workshops (or even buy them when I settle a new city) to increase my :c5production:. Due to this, the Ironworks is built in every game.

Ironworks 39
National College 45
Oxford University 17

ironwork i think i always build...
rarely i do not build the national college (ICS for example).. but if build it i think i will build oxford too...i had to choose one i took the highest...

Top Bottom