New City States

@Menzies: Good post, close to my thoughts, except that personally I would give more weight to the Italians and replace Belgium with Italy (though I know your stance on Italy, so I understand). I'm also hesitant to say the Sioux would be the NA civ, though they do seem to be the likeliest if considered in isolation - you have to account for the possibility that the weird tomahawk-wielding "barbarian" unit might be an eastern native american unit, but we don't really know

EDIT:

Though I do generally agree with the analysis (except for Belgium/Italy, which I'm iffy on altogether anyways), I would be pleasantly surprised if they had two SE Asian civs instead of one. I think this is probably the one thing working against Vietnam and Indonesia to a lesser extent in this schematic - while both in isolation have a good chance with the city states considered, there's not to omuch a chance both would be included. I could see a Silk Road civ with Almaty instead of Vietnam.

@Menzies: Good post, close to my thoughts, except that personally I would give more weight to the Italians and replace Belgium with Italy (though I know your stance on Italy, so I understand). I'm also hesitant to say the Sioux would be the NA civ, though they do seem to be the likeliest if considered in isolation - you have to account for the possibility that the weird tomahawk-wielding "barbarian" unit might be an eastern native american unit, but we don't really know

Again, I'm only leaving the the Italians and Phoenicians out as they are more complex and we're yet to see enough new City States to account for them. In principal, Mbanza-Kongo, Sofia and Panama City are enough to account for 3 civilizations, any more and we'd have to start considering two or more city states being replaced for one, hence why I left them separate. It's not a case of rating Belgium above Italy, it's a case of leaving that out until we have something to suggest that case.

Also, Barbarians don't get unique units, so I don't understand all the speculation around that barbarian unit.

Barbarians already have 2 UUs. I think they just swapped a barbarian UU. (They have the brute and the barbarian galley as UUs, both of which can be captured (by Germany or say Ottomans))

Belgium and chocolate as a special resource imo is more likely than buffalo with Sioux as the resource is supposed to be luxury. Belgium could get a UB, replacing something like market, that also produces one chocolate each.

The issue with the barbarian unit is that some of us think it is quite odd that a barbarian unit would be depicted with such a clear type of ethnicity (not to mention it being native american doesn't leave a good impression for some); that, combined with the fact that it was a staged screenshot nevertheless, makes some of us suspect it was put there as a barbarian unit to fuel speculation.

Of course, we don't really know.

It's not a case of rating Belgium above Italy, it's a case of leaving that out until we have something to suggest that case.

Fair enough. Belgium would be one hell of a dark horsee to me. Until we know what sort of CS Mbanza-Kongo is the last one is gonna be pretty difficult to pin down regardless.

Belgium and chocolate as a special resource imo is more likely than buffalo with Sioux as the resource is supposed to be luxury.

No, it's not. Dennis mentioned a new "natural resource" which could be anything.

Where did we hear either "new natural resource" or that it would be a "luxury resource" - None of those words were specifically said. I think you all are projecting...

Where did we hear either "new natural resource" or that it would be a "luxury resource" - None of those words were specifically said. I think you all are projecting...

Does anyone know the exact words, they could be crucial to all our theories. Venetian Glass and Indonesian Batik go out the window if it's natural

Also, you are forgetting Antwerp in your Belgium analysis.

I did. Well, that does throw the cat amounts the pigeons, good spot. The next set of screenshots we get should be picked over for city states, as if we don't get any new civs that could be the key to figuring this out.

Does anyone know the exact words, they could be crucial to all our theories. Venetian Glass and Indonesian Batik go out the window if it's natural

...you're still going with this... really?

...really? If we're getting into produced goods it could be anything, why these two in particular?

The issue with the barbarian unit is that some of us think it is quite odd that a barbarian unit would be depicted with such a clear type of ethnicity (not to mention it being native american doesn't leave a good impression for some); that, combined with the fact that it was a staged screenshot nevertheless, makes some of us suspect it was put there as a barbarian unit to fuel speculation.

Of course, we don't really know.

Fair enough. Belgium would be one hell of a dark horsee to me. Until we know what sort of CS Mbanza-Kongo is the last one is gonna be pretty difficult to pin down regardless.

The icon is of a fairly generic looking war axe, and the sprites aren't telling of anything either. It looks very much like a barbarian unit graphics wise.

...really? If we're getting into produced goods it could be anything, why these two in particular?
Just stating a point. I just mentioned the ones that came to mind. I'm not insisting it must be these two. Please do calm down, I'm not gonna start a debate everywhere I turn.

Just trying to say the choice of words matter for our theories.

You're still asking that... really?

Both Indonesia and Italy are likely civilizations, from what has been presented so far (expansion theme and community feedback). And so he's guessing which resources cpuld be theirs, in the case one of these is the ''special resource civilization''. It's all quite obvious, really. I can't quite understand your reaction.

You're still asking that... really?

Both Indonesia and Italy are likely civilizations, from what has been presented so far (expansion theme and community feedback). And so he's guessing which resources cpuld be theirs, in the case one of these is the ''special resource civilization''. It's all quite obvious, really. I can't quite understand your reaction.

Because it's going the wrong way about it. There is a civilization that will be given away as they said, but there's 4 civilizations left, there's no need for silly grasping at straws, particularly with such a long bow as those.

I'd also point out that the community weren't asking for Italy to any great sense before the announcement, which was after the civilizations would have been decided. So the "community feedback" reason doesn't really work for Italy.

Because it's going the wrong way about it. There is a civilization that will be given away as they said, but there's 4 civilizations left, there's no need for silly grasping at straws, particularly with such a long bow as those.
Just so we're clear I do NOT think it at all likely that we will be seeing Venetian Glass with Italy. Bison and Seals for the Sioux and Inuit are much more likely IMHO. However, I assume the resource will be linked to only a single civ and therefore will probably be a manufactured resource.

But as this thread is about New City States I'm going off topic here.

I'd also point out that the community weren't asking for Italy to any great sense before the announcement, which was after the civilizations would have been decided. So the "community feedback" reason doesn't really work for Italy.

Agreed and agreed. But my point is: it's unharmful speculation, either way.
Anyhow, not to dwell on Italy question too much, my point on community feedback goes more for Indonesia, actually. Italy's case is more on the thematic sphere (like the Brazilian, I think).

On topic: From what i gather, the resource might be something quite peculiar (probably something with gentilic attached). So i don't see how we can reach a good conclusion following the guess-what-it-is path.
Rather, I think brainstorming likely civilizations famous for trading is more fruitful (as I think the developers would only put an unique resource on a civ with trading speciality).

(And i'm starving for screenshots. Feed us confirmed city-states, Firaxis!)

Agreed and agreed. But my point is: it's unharmful speculation, either way.
Anyhow, not to dwell on Italy question too much, my point on community feedback goes more for Indonesia, actually. Italy's case is more on the thematic sphere (like the Brazilian, I think).

On topic: From what i gather, the resource might be something quite peculiar (probably something with gentilic attached). So i don't see how we can reach a good conclusion following the guess-what-it-is path.
Rather, I think brainstorming likely civilizations famous for trading is more fruitful (as I think the developers would only put an unique resource on a civ with trading speciality).

(And i'm starving for screenshots. Feed us confirmed city-states, Firaxis!)

If there's another chance to ask the devs something, we should just ask how many new city states there are, that is, how many replacements. We so far know of 6 (3 of which are accounted for by the new Civilizations). Any more from here almost certainly mean that one Civ or another is going to take more than one city state to be added, so say we get 10 new City States, it would mean that it would probably be Phoenicia, Indonesia, Sioux and Italy as the remaining 4, whilst if it were only 6, and we'd seen them all already, it would be more likely to be Vietnam, Indonesia, Sioux and Armenia or Tibet, whilst ruling out Belgium, Phoenecia and Italy.

I don't think that Sofia is a replacement City State.

IF, the rule of thumb is that the replacement City State shares the same colour as the initial city (White for Warsaw, Purple for Lisbon), then Bratislava is replacing Warsaw and Ur is replacing Lisbon.

Sofia isn't replacing anything, there's no pastel-green city state that is militaristic.

I don't think that Sofia is a replacement City State.

IF, the rule of thumb is that the replacement City State shares the same colour as the initial city (White for Warsaw, Purple for Lisbon), then Bratislava is replacing Warsaw and Ur is replacing Lisbon.

Sofia isn't replacing anything, there's no pastel-green city state that is militaristic.

Where did you get the city state colour thing from?

Do you have a list of City States by colour?

Do you think they've just added an extra Militaristic City State for no reason?

Top Bottom